Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Look at the state of Cardiff's next 8 fixtures. They'll be lucky to get 3-4 points from this lot. 

IMG_20180826_225538.jpg

Rooted at the bottom by the end of October. 

Terrible side. The worst promoted team since Derby a decade ago.

8 hours ago, FIF said:

Watched a few games this weekend.

Wolves are far better than people on here want to admit. They are naive in defence and have a problem scoring anything inside the box but they are entertaining. On a par with Mancity and Liverpool for worth watching.

Watford and Palace (like Wolves) are average teams that we'll need to fend off to get our top 7 spot.

Brighton may be flawed but they are not poor enough to go down.

Burnley and Fulham are just below Watford, Palace, Wolves, bottom half but probably not bad enough to go down.

Huddersfield and Cardiff are poor.

If Chelsea keep playing Morata they won't make the CL next season.

If Manure are relying on Fred and Pogba they won't make the CL next season.

If Liverpool don't get injuries they'll win the league, if they do then it's Mancity's to lose.

We can make a european spot.

Fulham and Wolves are fun to watch but they both are naive at defending. They both will be fine but I think some of the experienced sides  in the P( like ourselves, Watford & Palace will beat them.

The golden rule for survival in the Prem is a solid defense and a forward who will give you 12 to15 goals. Cardiff, Huddersfield, Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham, and Burnley are all leaking goals ( Cardiff not yet, but you can see it’s coming) and only West Ham (with Arnautovic) have a forward who is capable of getting close to that number of goals and they perhaps have the weakest defense because Pelegríni has never been in a relegation dogfight and from the way he is setting up that team he is way too wide open. What are the odds of fat Sam being back there by Xmas? I think Arnautovic might just save West Ham and I think Benitez’s luck ran out last season. So for me it’s Cardiff, Huddersfield and a toss up between Southampton and Newcastle for the third. West Ham and Burnley will also be sweating it out come March in my mind.

I like what Watford are doing, tough in the tackle, hard working and have pace and a manager that’s getting them to move the ball forward quickly. They are going to be hard to beat for clubs eight downwards. Everton have solved their goals issue it seems but their defense looks awful. Bournemouth are over achieving again but I am not convinced they will be able to last with their small squad. Palace are an improved side but they are going to lose a lot of close games until they replace that donkey Benteke with a consistent scorer to go with Zaha. I like Brighton , they have a lot of heart and play for each other but they are short of quality in the final third and they will end up down near the bottom by March.  Fulham are a complete unknown, can their new players integrate and can they tighten their defense. I like their manager , but the Prem can be cruel on teams that cannot get clean sheets. For me their defense is suspect.

As for us I’m quietly optimistic. I think Perriera is a great signing, as is Maddison. A lot depends on the combination of Mendy and NDidi, can they settle in and give our back 3-4 consistent cover so we don’t give away silly goals. We need to be very solid at the back this season as I can see us needing to have to eke out a number of 1-0 wins to end up in the top seven. Seeing if Soyuncu can step up from the Bundesliga right away would be a huge help. Our biggest issues I see are still right back and Inheacho. With Inheacho I am most concerned about his lack of pace, he just does not seem to be able to create space for himself when he has the ball and when he is chasing the ball he just cannot seem to get away from his defender. He disappears from games ( Saturday is a perfect example) and saying he got no service is only half the story as he rarely find space to receive the ball. Regarding Armartey I kept noticing that whenever he got the ball near the half way line he was doing a pretty good impression of Simpson and his hesitation and backward passing was just killing our momentum. I just don’t think having him and Wes alongside each other on our right side is the way forward for Puels style of  play. I think Liverpool will focus on pressing us hard and running at Chilwell and Armartey, if he plays and things could get ugly quickly. Having said that I love how we are investing in youth and I am sure we will end up good enough this season to be higher than we ended up last year. Next year with Soyuncu, Benkovic and possibly Barnes in the mix and if our owners hang onto this young nucleus, we are going to be a pretty amazing Side next season. 

10 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Cant see him staying there, under Ashley Newcastle are no better than Sunderland and the first really decent offer he will walk because Ashley's promises are like snowballs in summer.

100% agree with this. Rafa is way too good for Newcastle. Can imagine him going back to a top club, where he belongs, if he can overcome whatever limitations exist in his contract. 

32 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

100% agree with this. Rafa is way too good for Newcastle. Can imagine him going back to a top club, where he belongs, if he can overcome whatever limitations exist in his contract. 

Always thought Mitrovic was a decent striker and can cut it at this level and then they flog him to Fulham ??? Crazy club.

5 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Always thought Mitrovic was a decent striker and can cut it at this level and then they flog him to Fulham ??? Crazy club.

Agree. If they backed the bloke there is no reason Newcastle couldn’t be top 10 and pushing for Europe or a cup regularly. Run by utter muppets. 

14 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

this is insane, referees deserve more credit and that includes from myself, way too easy to criticise them 

Eye-opening. You're right, I really don't think any of us give them enough credit. It's a tough job. Not only are they having to make quick decisions based on rapid actions, they're doing so surrounded by 22 fired-up blokes all convinced they're right.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adster said:

Delighted Burnley are shipping goals and points. 

If you don't invest, you'll get punished. It's as simple as that. If you have average players, like they do, they'll get punished.

Hope they get relegated. Will be one more tinpot team out of the PL.

It's all relative...some spend more than others...Whether he's a moaning Minnie or not, Dyche and Burnley have done a good job,have their

Fans up to now a 5-6 yr run in a good era. Not a big story,like Leicesters,but he brought players and a team to compete in the PL..& Europe

He's succeeded,...another 85+ clubs and 10s of thousands of fans would love to have a manager,that brought that success.

You can't belittle that,and the spiteful gripe ,only shows the lack of sporting knowledge,and whinnings of immature failures.oh yes & class,

as an observer,would be writers of false history...1st Leicester, older now new Burnly and hopefully a Wolves or Fulham,can carry on upsetting

the odds

Whatever Burnley with Dyche achieve from now on...Well done and thanks for keeping the PL interesting for this era of the PL.I

In the end I don't care who gets relegated,so long as Leicester stay out of it,but I still would love Burnley to deny the " miserable know-alls"

Still find a top 12 placing,and go further in Europe.

Dyche likes a good moan,especially post match ,but listen to some of his general interviews,

on his team,and football,he has a good head on him. I still think He and Pearson,were cut from the same mold,a good mold but different veins.

A lot of fans,should get off the Schadensfreude boat,and start to enjoy all spectrums of the football fleet,we need that whole kaleidoscope

of characteristics,to keep football afloat. Now Hughes that's another problem.....innit!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Shakespeare on SSN talking about the season we won the league and how we did it with not much possession, in result of Newcastle yesterday

There is no comparison between the way we played to win the league and the utter abomination that was Newcastle's approach yesterday. They literally sat with at least  9 and mostly 10 players within 30 to 40 yards of their own goal for pretty much all of the game, whilst posing very little threat on the break with the lumbering Rondon as their only outlet. I realise Newcastle don't have great players but the lack of ambition was staggering. It's not even as if they were playing an unbeatable team - Chelsea are in transition and had a back 4 including David Luiz! And people criticise Puel for being negative! 

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

If they've still not won (or worse, still not scored) by then I'm taking out a loan to lump on a 2-0 home win. 

If they can't score against Newcastle, Huddersfield and Bournemouth, then it really doesn't augur well for them against better teams. I don't think they'll give Derby's 10 points a run for their money as their defence is decent enough, but maybe it won't be far off. 

Guest Markyblue
56 minutes ago, The Bear said:

If they can't score against Newcastle, Huddersfield and Bournemouth, then it really doesn't augur well for them against better teams. I don't think they'll give Derby's 10 points a run for their money as their defence is decent enough, but maybe it won't be far off. 

Quite happy for dreary county to keep that record thank you. ?

Either way this game is going to cause me pain. Cannot really get myself up for wishing for a Spuds victory , but the thought of seeing Moaninho get thoroughly stuffed at Old Trafford leaves me with no easy choice here. Cmon yee spuds !!!! 

I feel ill already.

• Like 1