Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The grass definitely wasn't greener.

The sad thing for me, was Man City didn't really 'need' Mahrez, they had more than enough quality in that position already but they had the money so just bought him. 

I wonder if Mahrez or similar players that leave the smaller clubs in the search for the bright lights, are happier with their bit part games or had they realised this before leaving, would have stayed. 

Guess it depends on if the player is ok with taking the much improved weekly wage. 

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m not so sure they have hit their limit, what they’re building at Spurs is long term sustainable success, their training ground is amazing as is their new stadium, any success they achieve in the future will be built on solid foundations. We have a great dislike of Spurs on here but I think we’re going to have to get used to them being a major force in the future.

Long run, I agree with you.  Next several years, they’ll do well just to consolidate.

For a self-financed club, the stadium loan is a huge albatross.  Much of their transfer budget for years to come, is now spoken for by the banks.  Tough to compete for hardware with doped clubs which simply “spend over” their mistakes year after year.

Levy’s model of parsimony which got them there, will have to change to keep them there.  Their current group is so good, he has to pay the market rate for the players he wants to keep (e.g. Kane, Son).  This is a whole new wage structure, and there won’t be room for everyone (e.g. Eriksen).  They must maintain their hit rate signing future stars.  Not least because they must have Champions League revenue.  Can they afford the quality-in-depth to both make the knockouts, and finish top four in the PL?  They are doing it this year, but by the skin of their teeth due to injuries.

They are on a knife edge IMO.  Two years outside the top four might be all it takes to turn them into a selling club.

Edited by KingsX
  • Like 2

Guest Markyblue
19 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Today's sun those Cvnts at spuds have culled 20 foxes at the new ground. 

Whereas in 2016 we culled spuds only chance of winning the premier league. 

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Eriksen could be gone. If they then lose Kane or Son, they'll be in trouble.

Probably 1st time these last 2 seasons I disagree with you...but

because they are in the London catchment-area and they still are financially a step up from ourselves,they can ride 2-3 big name losses..

Even if all 3 you mentioned did go,their Bbone of players are quality,so the next few seasons they  can keep a strong challenge going for top 3-5..

if they manage to keep the 3,and keep Pocch,or find top replacement,their challenge for top1-3, with  a strengthening of the squad,would be still a good bet.

25 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Whereas in 2016 we culled spuds only chance of winning the premier league. 

If they were ever gonna win it, it would have been 16/17. They were a better team, gained more points and were closer to the leaders Chelsea than in 15/16. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Eriksen could be gone. If they then lose Kane or Son, they'll be in trouble.

I certainly hope so. And the quicker their demise the better for me.

Hopefully Ponch will wake up and go soon too, and join a club that supports what he's doing rather than a chairman like Levy, who the media love to call 'shrewd', but his reluctance to spend on transfers, and give the going rate wages, is going to cost them and in my view has already cost them trophies. A shrewd businessman speculates to accumulate. Levy is not doing that, in fact he's doing the opposite. Accumulating debt without speculating on what pays that debt off.......winning trophies, which attract and keeps your best players and creates further success.

Because the very best players want to win things. They want to end their careers with something to show for it. It's why Walker left them, it's why Mahrez left us, and why Maguire/Chilwell etc will probably leave us. I can't believe Kane/Alli etc will want to stay with Spuds if they don't win anything very soon, because saying 'we played in a great stadium with a great training ground, but won nothing' when you retire is laughable.

How big the stadium is, and how great the training ground is, will attract players initially, especially from smaller clubs wanting to step up, but once they see other team mates leaving and winning things with other teams, it has a snowball effect.

If I were a top player and I had a choice of any of the top 6, I'm afraid Spuds would be 6th on that list, and that is not because of my utter dislike for them, it's just a fact of football life.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Long run, I agree with you.  Next several years, they’ll do well just to consolidate.

For a self-financed club, the stadium loan is a huge albatross.  Much of their transfer budget for years to come, is now spoken for by the banks.  Tough to compete for hardware with doped clubs which simply “spend over” their mistakes year after year.

Levy’s model of parsimony which got them there, will have to change to keep them there.  Their current group is so good, he has to pay the market rate for the players he wants to keep (e.g. Kane, Son).  This is a whole new wage structure, and there won’t be room for everyone (e.g. Eriksen).  They must maintain their hit rate signing future stars.  Not least because they must have Champions League revenue.  Can they afford the quality-in-depth to both make the knockouts, and finish top four in the PL?  They are doing it this year, but by the skin of their teeth due to injuries.

They are on a knife edge IMO.  Two years outside the top four might be all it takes to turn them into a selling club.

On the one-hand,they as a club are chasing their dreams....

Club wage structure...if they play clever,they will still attract quality,add their regular turnover of decent young players from within.

Top London clubs,will always attract home and foreign potential quality...

8 hours ago, KingsX said:

I think they’ve been very clever with their NFL pitch underneath the football pitch, it could make them a fortune 

22 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m not so sure they have hit their limit, what they’re building at Spurs is long term sustainable success, their training ground is amazing as is their new stadium, any success they achieve in the future will be built on solid foundations. We have a great dislike of Spurs on here but I think we’re going to have to get used to them being a major force in the future.

I just don't think thy have the finances to replace players that they will lose.

Picking a manager is a lottery unless you are the biggest clubs who can pick whoever they want, even then it doesn't  always work out. So when Poch goes and they lose a couple of big players they could be in trouble.... and by trouble that's likely to mean 5th, 6th than 2nd and 3rd.

On 11/02/2019 at 19:27, Manini said:

They’re a good side and they play some lovely stuff, but, and it’s a sentiment shared by a lot of people I speak to, I find Wolves and In particular Nuno really unlikeable. 

Sorry @The Bear :ph34r: 

Hope you win tonight mind I can’t stick Newcastle. 

it’s the way that massive bunch of weird assistants and staff members all celebrate every goal like they’ve just secured some sort of weird dodgy business deal that’s gonna set them up for life. does my fu cking nut in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

it’s the way that massive bunch of weird assistants and staff members all celebrate every goal like they’ve just secured some sort of weird dodgy business deal that’s gonna set them up for life. does my fu cking nut in. 

It seems to annoy opposition staff as well. Brizzle bench have had more than one dust up with ours.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

It seems to annoy opposition staff as well. Brizzle bench have had more than one dust up with ours.

it fu cking does my head in, it’s the same celebration as when simon cowell gets another act through to next week on the x factor. and it’s after literally every goal.  

• Haha 2

Nuno says he just likes to have everyone involved in any successes on or off the pitch. They do everything as a team effort.

When Nuno wins Manager Of The Month he usually stands off to the side with a load of backroom staff for the photos/presentation.

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

This Cardiff/Sala business is so tacky. They want to mourn him as "forever a bluebird" yet they don't want to be liable for the fee. Whether he was registered or not he was going to be there player and Nantes could've used some of that money to sign other players etc. Leaves a bad taste

It's like " welshing".  On a bet.    The signatures were in and completed,the wheel was spun....

I don't see where Nantes have any obligation,other than maybe,I small gentleman's gestre....

Has sad as it is Cardiff have to pay their obligations!!

Cardiff more than Nantes have more to lose on contractual-trust for the future...

However why shouldn't Cardiff try to find a compromise....but like in life...debts have to be paid even if/when death intervines!!

• Like 1

I really don’t understand this. When you buy a house your solicitor ensures you have taken out buildings insurance before completion - if someone at Cardiff has fooked up then it’s their problem. Nantes should receive the fee as was agreed when the deal was signed. 

I know now a little more than I can say on this but imo, Cardiff’s early statement that they didn’t have anything to do with the flight arrangements is crucial and part of their attempts to make them legally not liable .

Everything will come out over time .... 

Edited by st albans fox

When a Club buys a player, then in theory they should arrange to add this newly acquired player to their Personal Accident policy from time deal is completed. Some policies would do this automatically with or without prior agreement with the Insurers as players are often signed late in the day.  Given this player would require international clearance, which may have not been done at the time of death, this may be where Cardiff are coming from? The agent who alledgely arranged the flight with a potentially un-qualified pilot is keeping very quiet........

On 17/02/2019 at 11:40, Nalis said:

You can't polish a turd. The area around White Hart Lane is still a complete and utter shithole. Doesnt even have any character.

I firmly think that's part of Levy's plan. Generification by football stadium. That said it's hardly helped Finsbury Park with Arsenal.