Jump to content
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

 

Fair enough.  My post overstated Pochettino’s whining.  But he has increased it lately, not a good trend.

 

My main point, I just do not see a closer’s mentality.  Nor a squad that reflects one.  It’s one thing to respond well amidst moderate pressure and noise.  But when all is at stake, what expectations are being modeled and communicated?  Is performance maintained, or does it drop?  Success is a habit, and I don’t think human nature allows unlimited chances to build it.

 

By most reports, Poch and Levy take more compensation out of that club than other PL managers / GMs.  So far, what they have built has been worth it.  My gut feeling -- they have hit their limit. 

 

Enough said … some daily-lurker from the Fighting Chicken will accuse us of “obsession”.

Fair enough if that's your take on it, we'll agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phube said:

 

All fine... nothing to see here!

 

:whistle:

 

 

030E6D1F-EA4E-4008-B075-7731AA172E3F.jpeg

It’s a contact sport. He’s not slapped him in the face has he, he’s ever so slightly grazed him. Goalkeeper didn’t get high enough and would never have been penalised himself for making that much contact.

 

Benitez is really thick, he makes comments like ‘in England they don’t understand the rules’. No mate, the actual rules do not state that goalkeepers should get preferential treatment or be protected. Spanish football is unwatchable because everything is a foul.

 

Over here we like the sport a little bit more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, weller54 said:

Honesty don't think you need to worry about missing a heartbeat!.. 

More chance of a naked Rachel Riley ringing my doorbell this evening!!.. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ding dong!!.. 

Oo wonder who that can be? 

Anything is possible. But your Rachel will be size 28 and have crabs lol lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem with the Dubravka incident is that I don't think Boly has done enough to stop Dubravka playing the ball. (Some photos look bad but if you look in real time there isn't really anything in it). 

 

The issue is that every other time an outfield player challenges a keeper it's blown as a foul. I can see why Newcastle fans are aggrieved but also why Wolves fans think there's nothing wrong with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sylofox said:

Anything is possible. But your Rachel will be size 28 and have crabs lol lol

Perfect! 

Like a chunky bird 

And very partial to Shellfish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Perfect! 

Like a chunky bird 

And very partial to Shellfish. 

You sad fecker. 

 

lol much asi hate to say this I've just had a few pints with an OK spud. 

 

Yes I'm going for a lay down. Anyone in Norfolk got one of those bags you get on Airlines? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20million on top of all the other money he spent on transfers and the likes of Sanchez's wages. Jose has turned to be an extremely expensive period for United.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

20million on top of all the other money he spent on transfers and the likes of Sanchez's wages. Jose has turned to be an extremely expensive period for United.

No wonder it took them so long to sack him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2019 at 19:33, KingsX said:

 

Fair enough.  My post overstated Pochettino’s whining.  But he has increased it lately, not a good trend.

 

My main point, I just do not see a closer’s mentality.  Nor a squad that reflects one.  It’s one thing to respond well amidst moderate pressure and noise.  But when all is at stake, what expectations are being modeled and communicated?  Is performance maintained, or does it drop?  Success is a habit, and I don’t think human nature allows unlimited chances to build it.

 

By most reports, Poch and Levy take more compensation out of that club than other PL managers / GMs.  So far, what they have built has been worth it.  My gut feeling -- they have hit their limit. 

 

Enough said … some daily-lurker from the Fighting Chicken will accuse us of “obsession”.

I’m not so sure they have hit their limit, what they’re building at Spurs is long term sustainable success, their training ground is amazing as is their new stadium, any success they achieve in the future will be built on solid foundations. We have a great dislike of Spurs on here but I think we’re going to have to get used to them being a major force in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m not so sure they have hit their limit, what they’re building at Spurs is long term sustainable success, their training ground is amazing as is their new stadium, any success they achieve in the future will be built on solid foundations. We have a great dislike of Spurs on here but I think we’re going to have to get used to them being a major force in the future.

Eriksen could be gone. If they then lose Kane or Son, they'll be in trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FIF said:

Eriksen could be gone. If they then lose Kane or Son, they'll be in trouble.

Short term maybe, they lost Bale and Modric and moved on from that, but my point is they’re building for long term success, like us i suppose only we’re doing it on a smaller scale, it’s exciting that our training ground could be as good or better than theirs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though they're disliked by a lot of our fans, you can't deny they're a very good club with a bright future. 

Levy is a very shrewd businessman

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The grass definitely wasn't greener.

Gee, who could have predicted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The grass definitely wasn't greener.

It probably was. He's in competition for another league title, two domestic cups and the Champions League, probably earning twice as much in the process

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The grass definitely wasn't greener.

The sad thing for me, was Man City didn't really 'need' Mahrez, they had more than enough quality in that position already but they had the money so just bought him. 

 

I wonder if Mahrez or similar players that leave the smaller clubs in the search for the bright lights, are happier with their bit part games or had they realised this before leaving, would have stayed. 

 

Guess it depends on if the player is ok with taking the much improved weekly wage. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m not so sure they have hit their limit, what they’re building at Spurs is long term sustainable success, their training ground is amazing as is their new stadium, any success they achieve in the future will be built on solid foundations. We have a great dislike of Spurs on here but I think we’re going to have to get used to them being a major force in the future.

 

Long run, I agree with you.  Next several years, they’ll do well just to consolidate.

 

For a self-financed club, the stadium loan is a huge albatross.  Much of their transfer budget for years to come, is now spoken for by the banks.  Tough to compete for hardware with doped clubs which simply “spend over” their mistakes year after year.

 

Levy’s model of parsimony which got them there, will have to change to keep them there.  Their current group is so good, he has to pay the market rate for the players he wants to keep (e.g. Kane, Son).  This is a whole new wage structure, and there won’t be room for everyone (e.g. Eriksen).  They must maintain their hit rate signing future stars.  Not least because they must have Champions League revenue.  Can they afford the quality-in-depth to both make the knockouts, and finish top four in the PL?  They are doing it this year, but by the skin of their teeth due to injuries.

 

They are on a knife edge IMO.  Two years outside the top four might be all it takes to turn them into a selling club.

Edited by KingsX
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Today's sun those Cvnts at spuds have culled 20 foxes at the new ground. 

Whereas in 2016 we culled spuds only chance of winning the premier league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FIF said:

Eriksen could be gone. If they then lose Kane or Son, they'll be in trouble.

Probably 1st time these last 2 seasons I disagree with you...but

because they are in the London catchment-area and they still are financially a step up from ourselves,they can ride 2-3 big name losses..

Even if all 3 you mentioned did go,their Bbone of players are quality,so the next few seasons they  can keep a strong challenge going for top 3-5..

if they manage to keep the 3,and keep Pocch,or find top replacement,their challenge for top1-3, with  a strengthening of the squad,would be still a good bet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Whereas in 2016 we culled spuds only chance of winning the premier league. 

If they were ever gonna win it, it would have been 16/17. They were a better team, gained more points and were closer to the leaders Chelsea than in 15/16. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FIF said:

Eriksen could be gone. If they then lose Kane or Son, they'll be in trouble.

I certainly hope so. And the quicker their demise the better for me.

 

Hopefully Ponch will wake up and go soon too, and join a club that supports what he's doing rather than a chairman like Levy, who the media love to call 'shrewd', but his reluctance to spend on transfers, and give the going rate wages, is going to cost them and in my view has already cost them trophies. A shrewd businessman speculates to accumulate. Levy is not doing that, in fact he's doing the opposite. Accumulating debt without speculating on what pays that debt off.......winning trophies, which attract and keeps your best players and creates further success.

 

Because the very best players want to win things. They want to end their careers with something to show for it. It's why Walker left them, it's why Mahrez left us, and why Maguire/Chilwell etc will probably leave us. I can't believe Kane/Alli etc will want to stay with Spuds if they don't win anything very soon, because saying 'we played in a great stadium with a great training ground, but won nothing' when you retire is laughable.

 

How big the stadium is, and how great the training ground is, will attract players initially, especially from smaller clubs wanting to step up, but once they see other team mates leaving and winning things with other teams, it has a snowball effect.

 

If I were a top player and I had a choice of any of the top 6, I'm afraid Spuds would be 6th on that list, and that is not because of my utter dislike for them, it's just a fact of football life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, KingsX said:

 

Long run, I agree with you.  Next several years, they’ll do well just to consolidate.

 

For a self-financed club, the stadium loan is a huge albatross.  Much of their transfer budget for years to come, is now spoken for by the banks.  Tough to compete for hardware with doped clubs which simply “spend over” their mistakes year after year.

 

Levy’s model of parsimony which got them there, will have to change to keep them there.  Their current group is so good, he has to pay the market rate for the players he wants to keep (e.g. Kane, Son).  This is a whole new wage structure, and there won’t be room for everyone (e.g. Eriksen).  They must maintain their hit rate signing future stars.  Not least because they must have Champions League revenue.  Can they afford the quality-in-depth to both make the knockouts, and finish top four in the PL?  They are doing it this year, but by the skin of their teeth due to injuries.

 

They are on a knife edge IMO.  Two years outside the top four might be all it takes to turn them into a selling club.

On the one-hand,they as a club are chasing their dreams....

Club wage structure...if they play clever,they will still attract quality,add their regular turnover of decent young players from within.

Top London clubs,will always attract home and foreign potential quality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KingsX said:

 

Long run, I agree with you.  Next several years, they’ll do well just to consolidate.

 

For a self-financed club, the stadium loan is a huge albatross.  Much of their transfer budget for years to come, is now spoken for by the banks.  Tough to compete for hardware with doped clubs which simply “spend over” their mistakes year after year.

 

Levy’s model of parsimony which got them there, will have to change to keep them there.  Their current group is so good, he has to pay the market rate for the players he wants to keep (e.g. Kane, Son).  This is a whole new wage structure, and there won’t be room for everyone (e.g. Eriksen).  They must maintain their hit rate signing future stars.  Not least because they must have Champions League revenue.  Can they afford the quality-in-depth to both make the knockouts, and finish top four in the PL?  They are doing it this year, but by the skin of their teeth due to injuries.

 

They are on a knife edge IMO.  Two years outside the top four might be all it takes to turn them into a selling club.

I think they’ve been very clever with their NFL pitch underneath the football pitch, it could make them a fortune 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...