Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Slimani - Wants to leave

1 minute ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Crap to this. I wanted to leave when Taylor was manager, did I? No, so Slimani can man up also and hope for a greater and richer future.

lol, no.

15 minutes ago, murphy said:

The brass necks on Sporting!

Take our trousers down for £29 million and then try to take him back for free!!!

Rudkin should send them a dirty protest in the post!

What pisses me off is they know exactly what they'd be buying but want a year's loan instead.

Either buy him or pay a huge loan fee or mandatory buy after a year.

On 22/05/2018 at 17:13, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Ranieri wanted to push the boat out on Slimani and we ended up paying about double what he was probably worth. Love Claudio but blimey he didn't half tarnish his legacy in that second season with this and many other things.

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It really is one of the most myopic transfers I can remember. What on earth were we thinking?

According to Uptheleaguefox it appears Ranieri wanted him and sod the cost and I suppose after the season we just had he was obliged.

It was doomed to failure from the start, he was never going to replace Vardy and he was no No10. I think we probably got him to replace Okazaki as he was a grafter who could score goals and was a threat in the air but it soon became apparent that he wasn't a No10 and couldn't play alongside Vardy. Awful business by us but Slimani was a casualty in this hair brained thinking too. It has  the hallmarks of an impulse buy as IIRC he had a release clause that was about £6m cheaper a few weeks before which we never triggered. 

8 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It really is one of the most myopic transfers I can remember. What on earth were we thinking?

I really have no idea. 

WE can say we were excited by the signing, but WE aren’t scouts. We don’t work full time for a Premiership football club and get paid very well, to scout players.

God knows what the scouting team were doing over the summer after we won the league. In other walks of life, paying the sums of money we did for the rubbish we signed would lead to serious questions being asked.

But football is it’s own, closed shop. Stuff is generally kept under wraps and the real issues rarely come out publically.

All we can say now is that we spent the arse end of 60 million pounds on Musa, Mendy and Slim and had our pants well and truly pulled down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

According to Uptheleaguefox it appears Ranieri wanted him and sod the cost and I suppose after the season we just had he was obliged.

It was doomed to failure from the start, he was never going to replace Vardy and he was no No10. I think we probably got him to replace Okazaki as he was a grafter who could score goals and was a threat in the air but it soon became apparent that he wasn't a No10 and couldn't play alongside Vardy. Awful business by us but Slimani was a casualty in this hair brained thinking too. It has  the hallmarks of an impulse buy as IIRC he had a release clause that was about £6m cheaper a few weeks before which we never triggered. 

Kind of just adds to the logic that Ranieri had no idea how to build for the long term. I wouldn't ever trade what he did obviously but he's no long-term option for anybody with thinking like that.

I will really miss how he comes on as a sub when we’re losing and are  building up pressure on our opponents and him just running in to a player after the ball has already gone giving them a free kick and letting them of the hook . Every ****ing time 

Edited by baldeagle

He really has been total doggo. The lack of interest in him by all of our myriad of managers and now by other teams tells its own story. I’d be disappointed in his contribution if he’d only cost £5m. 

36 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Kind of just adds to the logic that Ranieri had no idea how to build for the long term. I wouldn't ever trade what he did obviously but he's no long-term option for anybody with thinking like that.

Except of course that we had been interested and scouted Slimani long before Ranieri came to the club.

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Except of course that we had been interested and scouted Slimani long before Ranieri came to the club.

Dan's point stands - we didn't buy him despite scouting him pre-Claudio because we didn't think he was worth the value Ranieri slapped on him which seemed to be "at any price." It's not good long term planning to pay the thick end of thirty million quid for a very limited near-30 year old, whom we are now lumbered with.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

Scouted by Walsh for 2 years prior to him signing.

"Slimani’s debut could not have gone any better as the forward produced a formidable performance up front alongside Jamie Vardy and that £29million transfer fee does not appear a gamble on this evidece.

The Algeria international was scouted by Leicester for two years – after being recommended by former head of recruitment Steve Walsh – before a protracted deal was finally agreed with Sporting Lisbon the day before the transfer deadline."

He was being linked to teams for over 20m so dont think we really paid that much over the going rate at the time for him

9 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If my memory serves everyone here was quite excited to sign him irrespective of price.

Tbf there were quite a few dissenters but yeah, the majority of posters were keen on the deal, I thought it was going to be a great signing.

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Tbf there were quite a few dissenters but yeah, the majority of posters were keen on the deal, I thought it was going to be a great signing.

So did I. I’d watched one or two of the Algeria matches (before they turned to shit) and he seemed to link up well with Mahrez.

13 hours ago, murphy said:

The brass necks on Sporting!

Take our trousers down for £29 million and then try to take him back for free!!!

Rudkin should send them a dirty protest in the post!

Rudkin should go work for Oxfam given his experience of all the charitable donations we have made to other Clubs in recent windows. 

13 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Utterly amazing the Ranieri of 2015/16 to the Ranieri a year after.

What might have been eh if we could have kept Kante and had a brilliant transfer window? I thought if we could buy three top class players to replace Simpson, Albrighton and Okazaki we could have kicked on. In hindsight we should have bought:

Salah from Roma £30m

Sidibe from Lille £13.5m

Dembele from Rennes for £25m

And lined up like this for the Hull away match. :wub:

Vardy

Dembele    Salah    Mahrez

Kante   Drinkwater

Fuchs Huth Morgan Sidibe

Schmeichel

But I digress :angry: