Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Clubs that finish in the top four of the Premier League may have to play at least one qualifying round to reach the group stage of the Champions League in future, according to a plan that is gathering support across Europe.

In a document, which The Athletic has seen, Danish champions FC Copenhagen have proposed an idea that would let the top four leagues (Spain, England, Germany and Italy) keep their four Champions League slots but not necessarily their free passes into the group phase.

The plan, which is understood to have support from regular Champions League qualifying-round participants Ajax and Celtic, would see every club that has qualified for the competition ranked from one to 79 in an “entry list” based on their results in Europe over the 10 previous seasons.

6 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

A sequel to the post last week of Football Focus as we enter another FF from 13 September 1997, interviewing MON before Spurs at home (3-0 win) and just days before the first leg against Atletico Madrid!

Fair to say MON hadn't quite (did he ever forget?) you lot hounding him against Sheff Utd ;) 

The best part of this is where MON is trying to think of good Spurs players, he names Les Ferdinand and then really can’t think of another good player the have. 

Now reported in the Merc

A proposed change to the Champions League would force Leicester City to compete in the early stages of qualifying.

City are odds-on to finish inside the Premier League’s top four this season and book a place in Europe’s top competition for the second time in their history.

While finishing inside England’s top four currently earns direct passage into the Champions League group stage, a proposal put forward by FC Copenhagen would potentially change that.

The Athletic report that the Danish champions want to redress the balance of the competition to benefit clubs from weaker leagues that consistently qualify.

In FC Copenhagen’s plan, all 79 qualified clubs would be ranked by their results in Europe over the previous 10 seasons.

The lowest-ranked 22 clubs would then enter at the first qualifying round. City, with only one season in Europe under their belt during their past decade, would be in this category, along with the likes of Wolves and Sheffield United, who are also bidding for Champions League qualification this term.

City would then have to make it through four rounds of qualifying before reaching the group phase.

Under the plan, teams like RB Leipzig and Atalanta, who are both in the last-16 of this year’s edition, would have to have started at the first stage.

Meanwhile, teams that are usually handicapped by the strengths of their leagues, and forced into qualifying, would benefit greatly. This season, the likes of Ajax, PSV Eindhoven, Dynamo Kiev, Olympiakos and Porto would all have been placed directly into the group stage.

FC Copenhagen’s proposal is reportedly gaining support around Europe, but the Premier League would likely be against such a plan, and would want to retain its four group-stage places.

This is not the first Champions League overhaul that has been put forward in recent years.

Andrea Agnelli, Juventus chairman and president of the European Club Association, wanted a system in which 24 teams keep their place in the competition from season to season, with promotion and relegation between the Champions League, Europa League, and the third tier Europa Conference League, which is set to begin in 2021. This idea was rejected.

That footage of Kasper down on his haunches looking away and then the crowd behind celebrating must have been the Leo penalty vs West Ham? I was in C Block and many around me couldn't watch. I did, figuring that I couldn't affect what was about to happen and actually psychologically convinced myself that he would miss given everything else that had gone on beforehand (and what the Brighton fans told us about Leo's penalties). Don't think I've ever seen so many agitated City fans before or since. 

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

That footage of Kasper down on his haunches looking away and then the crowd behind celebrating must have been the Leo penalty vs West Ham? I was in C Block and many around me couldn't watch. I did, figuring that I couldn't affect what was about to happen and actually psychologically convinced myself that he would miss given everything else that had gone on beforehand (and what the Brighton fans told us about Leo's penalties). Don't think I've ever seen so many agitated City fans before or since. 

Kicked the crap out of the chair in front of me that afternoon. Only at full time did I realise there was a little 8 year old sat in it 

21 minutes ago, Stadt said:

That system is fairer, national champions should be playing in the Champions League.

Whilst I agree with you,that can also bring its own problems.Team from a weaker league pockets a substantial amount of prize money.Goes back to their domestic competition and blows the oppo out the water.The next year the cycle continues.You end up having one team dominate.Don't know if they still do it but the qualifying rounds are set to let at least a few weaker teams through.A Platini brain wave I think.Well intentioned but not thought through.

• Like 2

There should be 3 main European competitions....

Champions cup. 

Old school format, all the winners of the European leagues are drew out a not (no seeding) in a two legged knock out. 

Cup winners cup. 

Same lay out to the champions cup with all the FA cup winners from each league. 

Euro league. 

Basically your standard champions league format with the league cup winners and your 2nd, 3rd placed teams. Essentially your money making completion that's going to have the greater amount of "big teams" in it. 

10 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

There should be 3 main European competitions....

Champions cup. 

Old school format, all the winners of the European leagues are drew out a not (no seeding) in a two legged knock out. 

Cup winners cup. 

Same lay out to the champions cup with all the FA cup winners from each league. 

Euro league. 

Basically your standard champions league format with the league cup winners and your 2nd, 3rd placed teams. Essentially your money making completion that's going to have the greater amount of "big teams" in it. 

Imagine a time then that happened.

European Cup.

UEFA Cup.

Cup winners cup.

Nothing wrong with that format.

13 hours ago, Stadt said:

That system is fairer, national champions should be playing in the Champions League.

I think the frustration will be having out performed Chelsea in the league. They will get an automatic spot in the group stage and we will have to go through qualifying. I disagree with the 4 English teams going straight through to the groups, but if we get the second or third champions league spot we should be placed ahead of the team that gets the 4th one.

Either way I'd be very surprised if they could change it for qualifying for next seasons champions league at this stage.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, davieG said:

Now reported in the Merc

A proposed change to the Champions League would force Leicester City to compete in the early stages of qualifying.

City are odds-on to finish inside the Premier League’s top four this season and book a place in Europe’s top competition for the second time in their history.

While finishing inside England’s top four currently earns direct passage into the Champions League group stage, a proposal put forward by FC Copenhagen would potentially change that.

The Athletic report that the Danish champions want to redress the balance of the competition to benefit clubs from weaker leagues that consistently qualify.

In FC Copenhagen’s plan, all 79 qualified clubs would be ranked by their results in Europe over the previous 10 seasons.

The lowest-ranked 22 clubs would then enter at the first qualifying round. City, with only one season in Europe under their belt during their past decade, would be in this category, along with the likes of Wolves and Sheffield United, who are also bidding for Champions League qualification this term.

City would then have to make it through four rounds of qualifying before reaching the group phase.

Under the plan, teams like RB Leipzig and Atalanta, who are both in the last-16 of this year’s edition, would have to have started at the first stage.

Meanwhile, teams that are usually handicapped by the strengths of their leagues, and forced into qualifying, would benefit greatly. This season, the likes of Ajax, PSV Eindhoven, Dynamo Kiev, Olympiakos and Porto would all have been placed directly into the group stage.

FC Copenhagen’s proposal is reportedly gaining support around Europe, but the Premier League would likely be against such a plan, and would want to retain its four group-stage places.

This is not the first Champions League overhaul that has been put forward in recent years.

Andrea Agnelli, Juventus chairman and president of the European Club Association, wanted a system in which 24 teams keep their place in the competition from season to season, with promotion and relegation between the Champions League, Europa League, and the third tier Europa Conference League, which is set to begin in 2021. This idea was rejected.

Is that the same Copenhagen that couldn't score against little old Leicester home or away, and couldn't get out the group stage when we were there lol 

• Haha 1

I thought that was how it worked up until a few years ago anyway? 4th would often mean CL qualifiers did it not? I suppose it was the last round of qualifying rather than that depending on the ranking of whoever would finish 4th in a top league like the Prem. Would make it harder but it also wouldn't surprise me to see it happen.

• Like 1

The lowest band of these 79 clubs would play 2 qualifying rounds under the Copenhagen proposal.

(This band is based on Euro successes in the preceding 10 years)

The fact that only clubs from the ‘big five’ leagues have made it through to this season’s Champions League knockout phase and that inexperienced European campaigners Leipzig and Atalanta look like ‘doing a Leicester’ and reaching the quarter-finals at the first attempt proves that if the competition is a meritocracy - as it should be - then the current allocation is about spot on.

Edited by Hammo
  • Like 1