Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-losers-grealish-solksjaer-arsenal

Leicester City and Tottenham

Grouped together after 1-0 wins that took them into the top two, but grouped together for many more reasons than the scoreline alone. Leicester City and Tottenham are winning games in which they aren’t playing well, fluctuating between grinding out victories and blowing teams away in the second half (5-2 vs Southampton for Spurs, 5-2 vs Manchester City for Leicester). Both have managers who are desperate to prove that they still belong amongst the absolute elite after spells at Premier League title challengers went sour.

They’re also grouped together because of the identical caveats. Leicester and Spurs have each played two fixtures against teams that sit within five points of the summit, and they both won and lost one each of those two games. They also both won handsomely away at a Manchester club as an emphatic retort to the supposedly gentle fixture list.

Finally, both clubs face a run of tricky fixtures that will help to determine just how high to set the bar for this season. Tottenham have Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester in their next six games. Leicester have Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton and Tottenham in their next seven. Get through that schedule largely unscathed and we might have to consider both teams as title hopefuls in what already appears to be a unique Premier League season. Both have already earned the label of realistic Champions League qualifiers.

Interesting... we’re mentioned as a title contender, plus notice how there are seven managers in the top photo, including...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12128133/premier-league-state-of-play-title-race-talk-relegation-candidates-and-more

Maybe I need to give Sky Sports a bit of credit here (I rarely do). Ok, so we’re the fifth team mentioned as title contenders, almost like we’re an afterthought, but at least we’ve not been dismissed.

5 hours ago, car1os said:

Interesting... we’re mentioned as a title contender, plus notice how there are seven managers in the top photo, including...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12128133/premier-league-state-of-play-title-race-talk-relegation-candidates-and-more

Maybe I need to give Sky Sports a bit of credit here (I rarely do). Ok, so we’re the fifth team mentioned as title contenders, almost like we’re an afterthought, but at least we’ve not been dismissed.

I showed this to my wife (not that she cared). Tells me we are starting to be taken seriously and the "big 6" is becoming the "big 7".

21 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I appreciate people giving us plaudits but I think this title talk after 8 games is daft personally, we're not even a quarter of the season through yet.

Was the same last year, I’m not going to say people don’t learn because I think you have to, as a football supporter, enjoy moments like this and just feel like you believe for a little bit, Leicester City are at the top of the prem (again). But there’s a hell of a lot of football to be played yet, we’ve got to negotiate a game against Liverpool next, arguably they threw our whole season off course last year depending on what you believe went on, and we’ve got to see if Brendan can maintain momentum throughout the course of a season - I think the last 6 in all comps has made us forget that West Ham and Villa were still this season.

We’ve still got a dodgy performance in us, and we still didn’t manage to create much at home against a pretty poor Wolves side (1st half) yesterday either (was fantastic to grind the win out). 

Personally I’m going to enjoy the break with us at the top and enjoy the start to the season that we’ve had but we’ve done absolutely nothing yet and I’ll be reserving judgement on what this side can do until we’ve seen how we approach these next 5/6 fixtures. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, browniefox said:

I showed this to my wife (not that she cared). Tells me we are starting to be taken seriously and the "big 6" is becoming the "big 7".

When the big six are referred to they are correct, when talking about revenue the big six are miles above the 7th.

Leicester have claims for being the 7th, as there is little between Us, West Ham, Everton, Newcastle and Wolves.

Another prem championship, or even top 4 would probably cement us  a top 7.

Edited by nnickn

41 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Wasn't sure which thread would be best to post this in, but it finally happened...

I was talking to someone at work (in Doncaster) about football, and mentioned that I support Leicester and I was genuinely accused of being a glory supporter. Got the whole "who did you support before they won the league" treatment. I had to explain that my first game was in 1995 and I've been a fan through all the ups and downs since then 😂

Love this. It also happened to my daughter at JFK airport in New York during our title-winning season.

What I'm most looking forward to is the day when those Liverpool and Man United 'supporters' with Leicestershire accents start calling us 'glory hunters'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Wasn't sure which thread would be best to post this in, but it finally happened...

I was talking to someone at work (in Doncaster) about football, and mentioned that I support Leicester and I was genuinely accused of being a glory supporter. Got the whole "who did you support before they won the league" treatment. I had to explain that my first game was in 1995 and I've been a fan through all the ups and downs since then 😂

There have been times where I've sensed suspicion myself. It's bonkers really but it's very satisfying being able to rattle through a list of historical happenings to correct anyone if they do suggest it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

he's got over Brendan leaving his beloved celtic ……… realised that we are a top six club on the pitch 

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

There have been times where I've sensed suspicion myself. It's bonkers really but it's very satisfying being able to rattle through a list of historical happenings to correct anyone if they do suggest it. 

Exactly! It happened to me once and only once. They soon shut up when I mentioned Hereford away and Steve Howard's bullet header against dirty Leeds. :scarf:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm scottish and still live here. I get it pretty much anytime someone asks me who I support. 

• Like 2

The glory hunter/ who did you support? tag doesn't really work for us. You'd have to have followed us from probably January onwards of the title win when it was starting to look serious and then stuck with us through a 12th and two 9th places finishes which is hardly stunning glory.

We didn't really have the time to build up a whole new fanbase and we've not done enough since to keep them prevalent. You'll get a few more following us but I'd imagine the vast majority follow us due to location, family, tradition etc.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

We’re 4th favourite to win the Europa League atm. Being a serious contender for a European trophy is mental, as a child going to our games in the mid 2000s I was really content with a draw because at least we hadn’t lost again.

I still go into pretty much all of our games with this mentality tbh

• Haha 1