Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Jonny Evans

We said when he signed that we couldn't go wrong with this bit of business... it was so true. 

Been one of our stand out players this season, was never a fan of him at Man United or West Brom but he's certainly won me over.

• Like 2

Unbelievable business getting him in for that small fee. I'm actually loving our back 4 this season. No longer (that) worried every time we concede a corner. 

Keep Ricardo and Ben I'd be happy with Evan and Maguire or (if he goes) Soyuncu next season at the heart of our defence (and that's if we don't buy a replacement for Maguire if he goes).

I reserve my judgement on Benkovic until I see him play in the premier league and we've always got Morgan as backup.

The future's bright.

He's been good enough that had we signed him when we were first linked last January for ~£20m, he would have been decent value.

We got him for £3m instead. Amazing piece of business. He's that calm, experienced head we need at the back to keep everything under control, and he reads the game absolutely brilliantly. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Only started 12 of first 27 PL games - club averaged 1.18ppg (32 from 27)

Then we changed the manager

Started 9 of last 11 - club averaged 1.81ppg (20 from 11)

Bargain signing, clever player, should've played more.

He had some injuries Geoff but agreed - he can play the quick pass into the wingers or between the lines which exposes the opposition - both goals at West Ham down to that .........

how do the coals conceded stats look ??

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I was nonplussed when we signed him, but he's been one of our most consistent performers.

I felt exactly the same at the time. But what a huge improvement on the Wes/Harry duo, as results have proven.  

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Only started 12 of first 27 PL games - club averaged 1.18ppg (32 from 27)

Then we changed the manager

Started 9 of last 11 - club averaged 1.81ppg (20 from 11)

Bargain signing, clever player, should've played more.

He was injured in most of those games he didn’t start, which I suppose in an inconvenient truth.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2019 at 09:04, Fox92 said:

Should be starting. He is our best defender.

Talks to all the other players all the time, knows when to go long and not short (though his short passing is the best we have out of defence), drops deeper. He just reads the game better than Morgan and Maguire.

I stand by everything I said in January.

• Like 2

I agree with the above posters, he's our best defender in our squad at the moment - a very solid defensive player who is decent on the ball.

He genuinely did struggle in his early appearances. He was shocking against Wolves and was responsible for Huddersfield taking the lead against us. But over time he got back to the player we all thought he would be. 

I expect he will be with us until his contract runs out, possibly even longer. I'd also expect him to maintain a consistent level of performance, which is quite important. I'd say that along with Ricardo and Kasper he usually is at the same level every week, whereas understandably players like Maddison, Barnes and even Tielemans can vary from brilliant to rubbish. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yep but it’s true.

A dubious use of statistics to further his bizarre vendetta is what it is.

His campaign of personal dislike for Puel was always odd but to continue with it now he's gone is, frankly, downright weird.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Buce said:

A dubious use of statistics to further his bizarre vendetta is what it is.

His campaign of personal dislike for Puel was always odd but to continue with it now he's gone is, frankly, downright weird.

Love you Buce but you should have hiked more during that particular era.

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Love you Buce but you should have hiked more during that particular era.

I doubt that it would have made UpHimselfFox any less weird if I had, Swanny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was worried that we would sign him when figures of around £30M were being bandied around, and thought him a bit of a liability when watching some of WBA's games where he looked slow and lazy...I was wrong and what a bargain price we got him for, he has looked classy in a number of performances. There's not a lot wrong with our defence these days.