Rusko187 Posted 13 May 2019 Posted 13 May 2019 We said when he signed that we couldn't go wrong with this bit of business... it was so true. Been one of our stand out players this season, was never a fan of him at Man United or West Brom but he's certainly won me over.
Gerard Posted 13 May 2019 Posted 13 May 2019 His best asset is his brain, he reads the game very well. It's important to have a centre half who sniffs out danger before it happens and helps all those around him.
foxfan92 Posted 13 May 2019 Posted 13 May 2019 Unbelievable business getting him in for that small fee. I'm actually loving our back 4 this season. No longer (that) worried every time we concede a corner. Keep Ricardo and Ben I'd be happy with Evan and Maguire or (if he goes) Soyuncu next season at the heart of our defence (and that's if we don't buy a replacement for Maguire if he goes). I reserve my judgement on Benkovic until I see him play in the premier league and we've always got Morgan as backup. The future's bright.
Xen Posted 13 May 2019 Posted 13 May 2019 He's been good enough that had we signed him when we were first linked last January for ~£20m, he would have been decent value. We got him for £3m instead. Amazing piece of business. He's that calm, experienced head we need at the back to keep everything under control, and he reads the game absolutely brilliantly.
Nathan mcc Posted 13 May 2019 Posted 13 May 2019 If he had been played a few more times under puel reign he’d sureky been nominated for POY ! Been rock solid for last 15-20 games
Trav Le Bleu Posted 13 May 2019 Posted 13 May 2019 I was nonplussed when we signed him, but he's been one of our most consistent performers.
UpTheLeagueFox Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 Only started 12 of first 27 PL games - club averaged 1.18ppg (32 from 27) Then we changed the manager Started 9 of last 11 - club averaged 1.81ppg (20 from 11) Bargain signing, clever player, should've played more.
st albans fox Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said: Only started 12 of first 27 PL games - club averaged 1.18ppg (32 from 27) Then we changed the manager Started 9 of last 11 - club averaged 1.81ppg (20 from 11) Bargain signing, clever player, should've played more. He had some injuries Geoff but agreed - he can play the quick pass into the wingers or between the lines which exposes the opposition - both goals at West Ham down to that ......... how do the coals conceded stats look ??
mozartfox Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said: I was nonplussed when we signed him, but he's been one of our most consistent performers. I felt exactly the same at the time. But what a huge improvement on the Wes/Harry duo, as results have proven.
Deeg67 Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said: Only started 12 of first 27 PL games - club averaged 1.18ppg (32 from 27) Then we changed the manager Started 9 of last 11 - club averaged 1.81ppg (20 from 11) Bargain signing, clever player, should've played more. He was injured in most of those games he didn’t start, which I suppose in an inconvenient truth.
goose2010 Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 pound for pound one of the best signings in the premier league this season.
ARM1968 Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 Absolutely great buy. Top player and has the experience we need in a predominantly young side.
Buce Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said: Only started 12 of first 27 PL games - club averaged 1.18ppg (32 from 27) Then we changed the manager Started 9 of last 11 - club averaged 1.81ppg (20 from 11) Bargain signing, clever player, should've played more. Jesus, talk about obsessional.
DerbyshireFox Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 Absolute steal for £3.5m one of the signings of the season. So much more solid with Evans and Maguire. He reads the game so well, calm and composed on the ball, reliable, and a good professional for the likes of Benkovic and Soyuncu to learn from
Fox92 Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 On 20/01/2019 at 09:04, Fox92 said: Should be starting. He is our best defender. Talks to all the other players all the time, knows when to go long and not short (though his short passing is the best we have out of defence), drops deeper. He just reads the game better than Morgan and Maguire. I stand by everything I said in January.
StriderHiryu Posted 14 May 2019 Posted 14 May 2019 I agree with the above posters, he's our best defender in our squad at the moment - a very solid defensive player who is decent on the ball. He genuinely did struggle in his early appearances. He was shocking against Wolves and was responsible for Huddersfield taking the lead against us. But over time he got back to the player we all thought he would be. I expect he will be with us until his contract runs out, possibly even longer. I'd also expect him to maintain a consistent level of performance, which is quite important. I'd say that along with Ricardo and Kasper he usually is at the same level every week, whereas understandably players like Maddison, Barnes and even Tielemans can vary from brilliant to rubbish.
HighPeakFox Posted 15 May 2019 Posted 15 May 2019 On 14/05/2019 at 16:43, Fox92 said: I stand by everything I said in January. Even that stuff you said about the earth being flat?
Nick Posted 15 May 2019 Posted 15 May 2019 On 14/05/2019 at 09:05, Buce said: Jesus, talk about obsessional. Yep but it’s true.
HighPeakFox Posted 15 May 2019 Posted 15 May 2019 2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said: Yep but it’s true. The relevance isn't proven, and it is Geoff's favourite 'fact' to drop in whenever humanly possible.
Buce Posted 16 May 2019 Posted 16 May 2019 8 hours ago, Swan Lesta said: Yep but it’s true. A dubious use of statistics to further his bizarre vendetta is what it is. His campaign of personal dislike for Puel was always odd but to continue with it now he's gone is, frankly, downright weird.
Nick Posted 16 May 2019 Posted 16 May 2019 17 minutes ago, Buce said: A dubious use of statistics to further his bizarre vendetta is what it is. His campaign of personal dislike for Puel was always odd but to continue with it now he's gone is, frankly, downright weird. Love you Buce but you should have hiked more during that particular era.
Buce Posted 16 May 2019 Posted 16 May 2019 5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said: Love you Buce but you should have hiked more during that particular era. I doubt that it would have made UpHimselfFox any less weird if I had, Swanny.
norwichfox Posted 16 May 2019 Posted 16 May 2019 I was worried that we would sign him when figures of around £30M were being bandied around, and thought him a bit of a liability when watching some of WBA's games where he looked slow and lazy...I was wrong and what a bargain price we got him for, he has looked classy in a number of performances. There's not a lot wrong with our defence these days.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.