Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Spurs 0-2 Post Match Thread

22 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Yes, While I am not convinced by Ghezzal, he did alright as a number 10. So far Puel looks like he is good at player transfers. 

Our expensive transfter flops, Nacho, Slimani, Silva, Musa were all under the old regime. 

I hate losing to Spurs, or indeed anyone, but what choice did he have for a striker when Vardy is injured? 

We are a team rebuilding, and unfinished, but we need to stick with Puel and do good business in Jan, selling as well as buying. 

Putting matches at 1945 on a Saturday night a couple of weeks before Christmas is crap, and I hate it. 

A weeks rest and Jamie back for Palace, I hope. Their home record is poor this season. I want 3 points. 

I was watching the game with my lad last night and at one point, he piped up with ‘where’s the striking option off the bench’? We both had a look and saw that only Shinji (who isn’t an out and out striker) and who hasn’t scored for about a zillion games, indeed looked to be our only option! 

Why has the club got a plethora of defensive midfielders to pick from and so few players up top.

Iheanacho was a disgrace last night. I use the word advisedly and based upon the fact I can’t remember a single passage of crisp build up play that he was involved in.

We could have done a lot worse than having a young striker, champing at the bit, to get on for the last half hour.

• Like 3

Some of those bored are presumably looking forward to the frission and excitement of dicing with relegation and possibly financial meltdown? The great escape was entertaining for the last 10-15 games but only great because we escaped. Mid table and the chance to build for a shot towards the top 6 might be the most excitement for a while but I'll take that.

8 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Absolutely NOT Ndidi's fault. Dele Alli was Chilly's responsibility to pick up.

download.jpg

Actually no, watch again. Evans is literally between two men not marking anyone, and is too deep. He plays Alli on.

3 defenders there all ball watching on heals. 

Chilly had been up the pitch on attack, the fact he made it back as far as he did was some effort!

• Like 1

It just wasn’t our night. Other than the goals they didn’t have much else.

what is apparant to me is that we need at least one more striker. Nacho is a good option from the bench or starting in a two but can’t be relied upon to play up top on his own. The difficulty will be convincing a decent player to come here knowing they’ll be second fiddle to vardy.

maddison also needs to be playing centrally. All his good work this season has come from the number 10 position. 

The future remains bright. 2 good windows and I’m confident we’ll push on next year. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Actually no, watch again. Evans is literally between two men not marking anyone, and is too deep. He plays Alli on.

3 defenders there all ball watching on heals. 

Chilly had been up the pitch on attack, the fact he made it back as far as he did was some effort!

To be fair to Evans, he knows he's beat at that point as he can't cover both and so goes to the immediate dangerman.

If N'Didi had better awareness he would have seen that Chilwell is up the pitch, marked his nearest man and Evans could have picked up Alli at the far post.

39 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I was watching the game with my lad last night and at one point, he piped up with ‘where’s the striking option off the bench’? We both had a look and saw that only Shinji (who isn’t an out and out striker) and who hasn’t scored for about a zillion games, indeed looked to be our only option! 

Why has the club got a plethora of defensive midfielders to pick from and so few players up top.

Iheanacho was a disgrace last night. I use the word advisedly and based upon the fact I can’t remember a single passage of crisp build up play that he was involved in.

We could have done a lot worse than having a young striker, champing at the bit, to get on for the last half hour.

I am sure that I am not the only one who thought Nacho was a great signing. He also had a pretty good pre-season. 

His League starts have been crap though. If Jamie isn't fit for next week, then I would rather have Shinji, but lets see what we have in the acadamy for the bench, after all thats how Rashford got his break. 

Iheanacho wasn't great but certainly nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Gray and Maddison were both very very wasteful, not to mention some of the woeful passing in midfield. Iheanacho was up against two very very good centre halves and we hardly gave him a chance. I advise anyone to watch the first half back and look how many times iheanacho moved into good positions but nobody found him. We don't have anywhere enough creativity throughout the team. On a positive, Morgan excellent again tonight 

• Like 1

I think what frustrates fans and definitely me is he has turned our home form on its head. The Kp  used to be formiddable and we used to leave it all on the pitch from 0-90, trying to create chance after chance. We just seem to be opposite of that, we cant control PL games against anyone, anywhere now.

Edited by bfox

I just don't know what to think anymore at times we do play some really nice stuff but in the final third of the pitch , even with Vardy , we are really lacking. It just used to be given to Mahrez and we would let him do his thing, we haven't got anyone close to his ability. We are missing what he gave us immensely.

I can't blame the manager for us seemingly switching off and conceding another goal right before half time, I don't blame him for us needlessly giving the ball away and then getting cut open for the second.

I like the signings we've made under him, I like his faith in youth and I think we're improving slowly but it's excruciatingly painful to keep sitting through 90 minutes of how we're playing at the moment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

To be fair to Evans, he knows he's beat at that point as he can't cover both and so goes to the immediate dangerman.

If N'Didi had better awareness he would have seen that Chilwell is up the pitch, marked his nearest man and Evans could have picked up Alli at the far post.

Yes someone should be covering Chilly. Especially as we had 3 bloody CDM players on the pitch!!  

Evans still plays him on though. He considerably deeper than the other 2 players back.

I'm torn. I like the premiss of what he is building. But I really hate the way we stop attacks dead in fear of losing the ball.

Teams just sit back, soak it up and hit us on the break! Hmm sounds familiar that. 

We have no penetration because we're too worried about risking the killer pass and handing over possession. That being said, I'm not sure N'Didi or Mendy even know what a penetrative pass looks like. N'Didi has been pretty poor recently, his decision making has been poor and his passing is really quite poor. 

I want Purl to do well, I see his thinking, but he needs to scrap this style of play. It isn't working for these players. Ranieri found that out the hard way too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MPH said:

they had their two best players out aswell though.

we wont be fighting for 7th for very long if we keep playing like that...

A couple of years ago we won the league and until the final match they were our closest adversaries. We had an experienced team and they had a very young team. They still have the same team - but now with a couple more years of experience in the top 4 and in Europe. We are in a complete rebuild with a lot of new and young players.

It only makes sense that they would beat us. I was surprised how they needed help from the lino to do it.

We had more shots, more shots on target and more corners. The chances were there but we lack a cutting edge with or without Jamie.

9 hours ago, kingfox said:

For 44 minutes I had no complaints, we were in the game, Spurs though suddenly started to knock it around with more tempo and they undone us thanks to a wonder goal.

But as I said what did fans expect tonight?

We've seen already this season when Iheanacho has to lead the line on his own we are crap, without Vardy we are pretty much relegation fodder. Without Vardy for the first half against Brighton we were shit, he came on and changed the game. Without Vardy against Fulham we were shit, luckily we managed to scrape a draw.

Without Vardy my expectations were seriously low tonight, I fully expected a loss, I fully expected a frustratingly poor performance, that's what we got.

Fans get frustrated but at the end of the day what do we expect, when we have to rely on Iheanacho, Gray and Okazaki to lead our line.

I understand that and I expected the same but even with Vardy starting this season we still play like this... passive, slow, no aggression. Away at the top 6 I expect us sit in and try keep in the game, but at home I expect more than that. 

Frustrating last night. We started well and got in behind a few times but had nobody there to finish. Poor time to concede a goal. We just seem to lack belief in the final third of the pitch at the moment. Once it went 2-0 we were done, which is disappointing. We badly missed Vardy’s leadership from the front. Hopefully he’ll be fit for Palace. It’s going to be a tough December, but stick behind the boys!!

I’d like to see some of the players hurting more after a defeat. 

Some walk all off all smiles, back slapping a team mate or an opponent.

I don’t just want a sound bite about working hard. I want them to hate a loss. Absolutely detest it. 

I do wonder how ambitious some are.

Heading for mid table and another year on a premier league salary may be enough.

Gathering from all this that we were a bit shit last night. How many of us actually expected this? Most of us I’d guess if we are honest. 

Im just glad I had been abducted by aliens, drugged and anally probed during the whole sorry debacle. Sounds like I got the best deal - unless it was another Texan in fancy dress. 

8 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Why do people insist on banding this 1 loss in 7 shite around like we won the other 6 and were unlucky to lose today? How many were either 0-0 or 1-1 draws and how many did we actually play well in?  

It's just called perspective.  

I'm not saying we are playing well and I'm not making any other claims.  You asked whether we look like a 9th placed team, our league position and form says yes we are.  We have been nowhere near the bottom end all season.  

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

I understand that and I expected the same but even with Vardy starting this season we still play like this... passive, slow, no aggression. Away at the top 6 I expect us sit in and try keep in the game, but at home I expect more than that. 

Against Spurs with no proper striker up front you have to be realistic, yesterday was always going to be a struggle.

Were we passive, slow and showed no aggression against Watford last week?

End of last season was so much worse than it is now, we've beaten numerous teams we should be beating, few disappointing draws here and there, positive losses to Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. The Bournemouth loss was the only real time this season where I've felt proper pissed off and angry.

Any point against a top six side is looked upon as a bonus, maybe we wanted more last night because it's Spurs; however I saw what I expected, a young developing side with no recognised striker unsurprisingly struggling.

• Like 1