Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Spurs 0-2 Post Match Thread

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Spurs simply too good for us. 

This probably isn’t the game where criticism is justified. 

Sorry did you even watch the game? Spurs didn't need to be good. Spurs didn't even need to get out of first gear. We played a useless striker on his own for the first half and no striker for most of the second. The criticism is more than justified.

• Like 2

Whilst you have to admit that perhaps some fans have never got behind Puel from the start, I don't think you could genuinely accuse anyone of actually wanting both him and the team to fail. We all want to win games ultimately and to try and compete at the highest level.

I see part of the reasoning behind the 'we are just a mid table side and that's acceptable because we are a mid table side' argument but it's ultimately just circular. Part of the reason we are floundering midtable currently is down to the manager, he is a huge part of the setup that isn't really improving. Of course other factors play in, the squad available, injuries etc but it has become clear which are failings of the manager and which aren't. I try to think of the positives as well as the negatives but I can only come up with two: we are bringing through some young players and we are not currently in the relegation zone.

If that's all you aim for season after season, then perhaps Puel is your man but I think we can be realistically aiming for more than that. Fans want a sense of improvement or at least an attempt at improvement, a sense of direction or a clear vision and hopefully a bit of entertainment. Puel has never really provided either and the more we seem to languish, the more likely the previous two positives I mentioned are to crumble away. Promising youngsters will move onto bigger things and will perhaps be irreplaceable, and aiming for mediocrity will see us slip just below it. 

Do we really want to become a less entertaining Stoke? 

• Thanks 1

It’s not the fact we lost the game that’s bothers people - it’s the fact we never had any intention of trying to win it. I remember we lost 5-2 to Arsenal few years back, hammering on paper but we gave it a right go, so it didn’t bother me.

games like tonight, there is literally no point in bothering if we set up like that. I didn’t use my ST tonight and I know others who didn’t. Another year of puel we certainly won’t have to worry about a stadium expansion!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Sorry did you even watch the game? Spurs didn't need to be good. Spurs didn't even need to get out of first gear. We played a useless striker on his own for the first half and no striker for most of the second. The criticism is more than justified.

Yeah Spurs are good. They played well with better players than we have. 

7 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

We’ve played like this many times, it isn’t the first time is it?

last 17 home games we have had 4 wins! 

Currently 9th in the league - about right for us to be honest. Few tweaks here and there, we can make 7th which is the limit of this squad. 

7 hours ago, Bunyip said:

I watched the whole game live and believe me we did not have any kind of hard luck. We deserved nothing out of the game and that is what we got. Spurs never had to break into a sweat. After they scored the first goal everyone in the ground knew that was the end of the game. Don't take any notice of MOTD highlights they are nowhere near the truth.  

We can all but hope CP gets it right over the next couple of weeks as the games come thick and fast, January approaches and most think that is the month of panic buys but it shows we need to buy a player who can fit into Vardy’s shoes when he’s not there and can compliment him when he’s playing along side him as it’s a shame Nacho loomed a great prospect but he’s fallen really short on our expectations is that bad management or did Man City sell us a lemonfor a cracking price?

Next Saturday another game and another game to hope to improve and grab something come on CP pull the lads together get them playing how we all know they can, I’m sure the conspiracy theorists are about to say “ I told you so about Puell !!” 

Im one who was underwhelmed st his appointment and tenure at times but sometimes he puts out the right side and shows we can play when we want too !!

Onwards and upwards !!????

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Spurs simply too good for us. 

This probably isn’t the game where criticism is justified. 

They didn't need to be good. Nobody is saying that losing to spurs is unacceptable, what is unacceptable is they didn't need to get out of 2nd gear and we made it easy for them. We've always at least given the big teams something to think about and pushed them all the way and Spurs would have found that easy last night which is just not ok from our perspective. We defended well for large parts but our lack of attacking threat meant our defence would eventually cave as they could just keep throwing men forward 

4 hours ago, Foxboy said:

Benkovic, Ward, Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu and Ghezzal. 

All of his summer signings.

Benkovic is being described by Celtic fans as the best player they’ve had since VVD we all know how he turned out. Obviously benkovic hasn’t played in the prem yet so only time will tell.

Ward has already won us 2 penalty shootouts so I’d say that’s a pretty decent signing.

Ricardo arguably one of our most in form players atm.

Evans steadied the ship at the back whilst maguire has been injured, not saying he’s the best CB ever but he’s done a job.

Soyuncu obviously being introduced slowly into the team, made the mistake for the Fulham goal but is still learning.

Ghezzal hasn’t obviously hit the ground running but gives us something else on the wing, he’s not pacey like gray or diabate and he doesn’t just cross like albrighton. He’s good at keeping possession and holding up the ball and has a bit of a (dare I say it) mahrezesque dribbling style and left foot. Now I obviously do not think he is as good as mahrez but you’ve got to give players time to adjust and find their feet in the team.

Benkovic, Ward, Soyuncu, Maddison and Evans were all signed by the club. Puel has no say I’m any of those signings, this I know for a fact. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

I'm in the puel in camp but unfortunately the last two games he's cost us I'm afraid. Too many ridiculous changes on Wednesday then odd decisions yesterday. Playing with no forward for most of the second half but putting Albrighton and ghezzal on to cut in and swing crosses in..... bizarre 

Criminal to get rid of two target men and not replace them. We will never be the prettiest team to watch and whilst we have changed the way we play, there’s no point being the team that puts in most crosses in the PL with no one to aim at.

Yet Puel says therecwill ot be much business done in Jan.... Really ??

5 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

We’ve played like this many times, it isn’t the first time is it?

last 17 home games we have had 4 wins! 

But that's going back to last season when we were incredibly shit.

This season we've had 3 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses.

West Ham draw was an extremely frustrating game; however it's not like we didn't create.

Burnley game was always going to be difficult after the tragic events; in that game though we were extremely unlucky, two shots off the line, hit the bar, Hart made some decent saves.

Liverpool loss was a positive performance, our only good performance without Vardy tbf.

Everton loss we shot ourselves in the foot with the red card.

Spurs loss last night was unsurprising especially when we had no recognised striker.

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Currently 9th in the league - about right for us to be honest. Few tweaks here and there, we can make 7th which is the limit of this squad. 

Same excuses as last season ? the way we have been playing all season apart from 20 minutes here and there we have been dreadful! 

• Like 2

We’re all huff and puff with no cutting edge.

I have absolutely no idea what direction Puel is taking us, the system he uses just doesn’t suit us, it’s bland and boring and disjointed.

His constant chopping and changing says to me he doesn’t know what to do for the best, these are worrying times, I can’t remember the last time I went home and thought we was outstanding today.

I hope in January our priority signing is a mobile centre forward, we absolutely crying out for this type of player.

I’ve gave Puel the benefit of the doubt for ages, but the more I watch us the more convinced he is not the man for the job.

So do we give him one more window or get somebody else in?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Where have all the Puel fanatics gone? 

Do Puel fanatics exist?

The vast majority of those who don't believe Puel should be sacked mid season probably aren't Puel fanatics in all fairness. 

What most people see is quite a thin squad, developed over the last 3 seasons as a result of pretty shocking recruitment. Puel has been a part of that but by no means is wholly responsible. I thought last night was frustrating to watch but I'm not sure of the wisdom of turfing the manager out now.

Our squad is young and lightweight, whilst a more entertaining approach could be adopted in the opinion of many, I'm not sure how many more points that approach would deliver with the players we have. 

I can't be alone in thinking some people are vastly over-rating our current squad am I?

• Like 4

Right... I refrained from posting last night as I would have written from the heart not the head. Having had time to reflect here's my observations:

- We have a group of potentially above average youngsters but nothing more. 

- We're technically not as good on the ball as I originally thought, always needing two touches rather than moving the ball quickly with one touch football to open up space. 

- This group of player's are way too soft. 

- Some of our hyped player's (won't call them out) need to work alot harder if they want to win anything throughout their careers. 

- I can take watching us being outclassed by a better side, but find it hard to accept when the player's don't work hard to at least try and compete. 

- If we want to progress to a top team the board need to stop spending above average amounts on potential star's of the future and go all out on proven player's who will definitely make a difference. 

- We are at least 2 top class player's short of being a decent side capable of competing with the league's better teams. 

- Why do we have only two striker's capable of finishing (subjective I know) in the squad? 

- As much as it pains me to say it but both Son and Alli were in a league of their own on that pitch last night. 

- How on earth is Son a bit part player at Spurs?!? 

Overall a very frustrating watch last night, let's hope we can learn from this performance and offer more moving forwards. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Absolutely NOT Ndidi's fault. Dele Alli was Chilly's responsibility to pick up.

download.jpg

Watch it again, Evans and Ndidi are covering and neither picked up Alli because Ndidi goes to the ball when there is no reason to do so.

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 1