Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Spurs 0-2 Post Match Thread

The whole approach to home games is wrong.  You attack and that includes games against top six sides.  You are not going to win by being cautious so you make sure they know they have been in a game.  Pick an attacking formation and if you go a goal down you fight and try even harder.  No excuse for a lack of desire and intensity.  Harvey Barnes should be recalled if possible?  Desperately need more up front.  Agree with others about a certain Hoffenheim striker we ought not to have let go.  

Edited by Rialto 290352

Seeing the England contingent players laughing and joking with their Spurs counterparts at the final whistle didn't help my mood either! I certainly wasn't laughing after watching that shite. Just shows that they aren't that bothered about losing.

Supporters aren't laughing after the crap we watch week in week out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Just to make sure it's clear - if a signing is good, Puel has "no say whatsoever".  But it's his fault the squad is thin and we don't have good replacements when guys like Vardy go down?

Puel has signed Maddison, Soyunco, Ricardo, Benkovic, Ward, Ghezzal, Evans and Diabate from memory (I may have missed one). Lots of supporters don't rate Ghezzal, fair enough, I'm not overly impressed. Diabate doesn't seem to have gone forwards either but it's hard to be overly critical of the others on that list at this point. Evans hasn't had a brilliant start but he's growing into it. Benkovic is doing well on loan but is untried in the Prem yet, Ricardo and Maddison are relative successes so far.

It could be argued, pretty conclusively in my opinion, that the really bad purchases were made by others. He had no part in the real disasters, Silva, Iheanacho, Slimani, Musa (the list goes on). They are the reason the squad is so thin more than Puel's purchases.

Just to be clear, I'm not totally absolving Puel of blame (losing both Slimani and Ulloa gives us no options really, that can be laid at Puel's door) but he's also shouldering the problem of other managers, or the recruitment team's massive mistakes in the transfer market.

That's only my opinion of course.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 3

Being beaten by a clearly better team i can handle and that's what last night was, better players, tactically and technically, better movement.

What boils my p*ss is when we make it so easy for them to stroll around, nor pressing, aggression or belief and we lose having barely laid a glove on them.

Whether Puel has told the players to stand off or they just don't give a shit is anyone's guess, i suspect it's a combination of the two, because from the kick off every Leicester player retreated into our half. 

Mid table is the best we can hope for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

Watch it again, Evans and Ndidi are covering and neither picked up Alli because Ndidi goes to the ball when there is no reason to do so.

Yeah, ideally Evans sticks with Alli, but when Ndidi fails to go and mark the man at the near post Evans gets caught in two minds and ends up marking nobody. All it took was a split second and it's in the net. Very poor from Ndidi

10 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Absolutely NOT Ndidi's fault. Dele Alli was Chilly's responsibility to pick up.

download.jpg

They’re both at fault. N’Didi is covering so should track the run but switches off. Chilwell then needs to get across. Regardless, it was a poor goal all round to concede. Also N’Didi still needs to learn how to pass. 

12 minutes ago, Cityfox60 said:

Seeing the England contingent players laughing and joking with their Spurs counterparts at the final whistle didn't help my mood either! I certainly wasn't laughing after watching that shite. Just shows that they aren't that bothered about losing.

Supporters aren't laughing after the crap we watch week in week out. 

Noticed this too, doing their silly little handshakes as well. Don’t mind them talking to their friends and having a laugh but then handshakes took the piss a bit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Being beaten by a clearly better team i can handle and that's what last night was, better players, tactically and technically, better movement.

What boils my p*ss is when we make it so easy for them to stroll around, nor pressing, aggression or belief and we lose having barely laid a glove on them.

Whether Puel has told the players to stand off or they just don't give a shit is anyone's guess, i suspect it's a combination of the two, because from the kick off every Leicester player retreated into our half. 

Mid table is the best we can hope for.

yes - we were well beaten - it's the manner of it  I can't accept... no intensity ... no idea claud

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What I can't get my head around is... Puel wants us to have more possession and control matches, yet he consistently picks Ndidi and Mendy, who just aren't very good at passing the ball unless it's the 'safe' option.

It's so contradictory. Iborra and Silva, whilst still not being THAT good on the ball, are infinitely better.

It's like instructing a team to play on the counter attack with players who can't run.

Edited by Fosse93

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

Noticed this too, doing their silly little handshakes as well. Don’t mind them talking to their friends and having a laugh but then handshakes took the piss a bit. 

Perhaps it's a sign I'm getting old but those handshakes are both embarrassing and unprofessional. 

If I were the manager of theirs I'd be having a huge dig about maturity. 

When you think of world cup winning teams you don't think of a team full of arseholes flapping their hands around like cvnts (with the obvious exception of Pogba.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, kingston_fox said:

Take a break... We're 9th... There's a whole bunch of teams below us, all who are worse than us and would give anything to be in our position. Reality check but we aren't a top top side, we occupy the places between relegation and mid table and as such we are near the top of that pile. To be up with Liverpool / Man City requires investment on a scale of epic proportions and that is t happening. Yes we're frustrating, yes we are lacking quality but our position shows Puel knows how to manage what he has to keep us out the drop zone

I'm not talking about our league position, for which Puel has done a good job......i'm talking about the second half and the poor performance, and Puel's inability to improve it, poor players is one factor, but the players failed to react, it was an easy second half for spurs, but i'm sorry Puel needs to earn his beans and do better, there seems to be a running theme of poor halves.

Yesterday highlighted that we’ve hit a crossroads in the transition period.

Do we carry on with Puel’s attempt at evolution? Or is now the time to increase the speed on the process and start making some difficult decisions? Last night was absolutely abysmal, the team was disjointed, we changed formation 3 times and for me that rings alarm bells. We’ve got a set of players with conflicting ideas and there are 2 obvious camps; some prefer the old approach and some prefer the new. 

We’ve got very exciting players currently on loan or not in the match day squad and they have youth and potential on their side. Obviously there are a lot of players out of contract in the summer that the club are ready to let go of, but unless we are happy to right off the remainder of this season the change needs to happen sooner. It’s not unthinkable that if the wheels completely fall off, Puel might not even get a chance to be free of the shackles of having players like Simpson, Morgan, Okazaki etc still round the place.

We clearly aren’t going to make Europe this season, we need to start blooding the youth more often and turbo charge the re-build because otherwise we are stuck in this half way house which is getting the best out of no one. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Perhaps it's a sign I'm getting old but those handshakes are both embarrassing and unprofessional. 

If I were the manager of theirs I'd be having a huge dig about maturity. 

When you think of world cup winning teams you don't think of a team full of arseholes flapping their hands around like cvnts (with the obvious exception of Pogba.) 

You are getting old. 

Give it 10 years and keepers will be giving defenders high fives for keeping a goal kick in the field of play.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Hate to break it to you but a silly handshake has no bearing on someone's ability to play football.

My xmas wish is a mass sale of our fringe players to fund a top quality striker to challenge/compliment Vardy. Then a quality box to box midfielder in the summer. Then puel to go 352. I honestly think we could be an outstanding side. A few changes in the wrong direction and we could be absolutely terrible. 

The most concerning thing last night wasn't so much the way Puel set the team set up and how we played defensively. I thought Puel set the team up well in terms of managing the game and defending against Spurs. Until Son struck a worldie (could see it coming from the moment he cut inside, he's class at that) we looked very much in the game. For 45 minutes we hassled Spurs and played quite well. We got sucker-punched by a piece of quality on HT and then we got muscled out. Spurs pressed us well all game, forced mistakes and managed it well from 0-1. 

The major concern was that after we went 1-0 down we looked beaten. Then, the substitutions were very peculiar and he undid his work with his initial team selection. Iborra was doing a decent job anchoring the midfield so I don't see why he came off. We looked less assured without him there and consequently conceded quite quickly afterwards. Taking our only striker off was also baffling. If nothing else, giving Iheanacho the minutes seemed more sensible than playing a winger up top. I like Puel, but those substitutions were just bizarre.

With regards to Puel, I still firmly believe he needs more time. We have made small positive steps in the right direction and have the core a very strong team in place. Realistically, we are not going to get relegated and we are not going to make Europe. We'll be mid-table and for me, that gives two reasons to not replace Puel. Firstly, the likelihood that changing the manager won't bring our current playing squad any closer to Europe as it's obvious we are one or two quality players short of making that jump, so in the short term it is more a change bought out of frustration at slower results. Secondly, he is trying to rebrand the team into a style of play that is more sustainable. He's brought in players to do that who have worked well enough so far (Maddison, Ricardo, Evans) and brought on existing players to better fit that, most notably Chilwell. It's a massive change and needs time so I question if changing the manager and implementing another style/working method will be detrimental during this hard fought rebuilding phase.

• Like 2

What really annoys me is ****ing amount of hugging and smiling and chatting Maddison and Chilly were giving to Spurs last night after the loss.  I hate it.

We had a chance to go 7th and continue the unbeaten mentality.  

We played like shit, particularly in the 2nd half.  Yet they’re there laughing and joking right after the whistle.  I want my players to look pissed off after a performance and result like that.  Not sucking Dele Alli’s bits & pieces.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Hate to break it to you but a silly handshake has no bearing on someone's ability to play football.

Nope. Correct. 

It does, however, indicate maturity and professionalism. I really don't see how it's appropriate doing these stupid, elaborate handshakes. Especially when they're run of the mill average. 

I don't celebrate the fair-to-middling things I do ; there are plenty. 

Palace.....spanking as usual

Man City(cup)....no hope

Chelsea....thrashing

Man City.....no hope again!

Cardiff....possible point but Cardiff will target this as a win.

Everton......easy Everton win

14th/15th after that lot!

Happy Christmas & New Year!?? Ho ho

• Sad 1