Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Next game, Tuesday: against Manchester City (EFL Cup, quarter-final)

I can understand Vardy being on the bench, and maybe Maguire.

I've tried to pick a team 3 times on this post but kept starting again because I just don't know.

Ward

Simpson

Maguire

Evans

Fuchs

Ricardo

Mendy

Iborra

Albrighton

Okazaki

Iheanacho

Subs: Jakupovic, Soyuncu, Gray, Maddison, Ndidi, Vardy, Elder

If we're giving out rests, Morgan should be top of the list. Need to see if Maguire can play right side of the defence. Bring Simpson in for a bit of protection and push Ricardo forward. I'd like to drop Albrighton but we need his defensive work especially with 2 up front. Hopefully Okazaki's nuisance factor might create some space for Iheanacho (clutches at straws)

I just want us to look like we've had a go, if Man City turn out to be too good then so be it but lets at least put them under pressure.

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I'm confused by this "tonight is more important than the Palace game stuff". It was only a week ago he was critisised for not focusing on the "easier" three points against Fulham, because of our hard run of games. Now we're meant to have played weakened teams against Palace and Chelsea, because suddenly the three points don't matter as much.

I think it's fair to ask of your manager to get the strongest team out possible for a quarter final of a cup. It's as if its groundhog day from the two cup quarter finals we whiffed out of at home last season. 

48 minutes ago, MCFC said:

I don't se this being an easy win for either team. We'll play something like this:

Muric

Walker

Kompany

Otamendi

Zinchenko

Fernandinho

Foden

De Bruyne

Mahrez

Aguero

Sané

1-1, someone wins on penalties.

"I don't see it being an easy win"

*Proceeds to name a starting 11 with a good 6/7 world class players in it*

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I'm confused by this "tonight is more important than the Palace game stuff". It was only a week ago he was critisised for not focusing on the "easier" three points against Fulham, because of our hard run of games. Now we're meant to have played weakened teams against Palace and Chelsea, because suddenly the three points don't matter as much.

I personally would rather go full on in the Cup now rather than the league. Don't think we're in any position to finish 7th and if we do I don't see us having a good enough squad to cope with the Europa League. Probably rather we finished 8th/9th and focused on building the young squad up to that level.

I'd happily let the kids play away at Chelsea and name our best possible team tonight.

Edited by AKCJ

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it's fair to ask of your manager to get the strongest team out possible for a quarter final of a cup. It's as if its groundhog day from the two cup quarter finals we whiffed out of at home last season. 

Because he wouldn't have been slaughtered had he fielded a weakened team at Palace and we lost? It's easy with hindsight knowing we lost the game playing full strength. But I'm not having it that people wouldn't have been lambasting him for resting the players he is doing tonight last Saturday.  Come on, you know he would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I said after Man City knocked us out last year that I'm not bothering with this stupid cup anymore, and like a twat I've bought a ticket for tonight. That was off the back of the 2-0 win over Watford, but I've only got myself to blame.

Seriously, why the **** should fans be arsed if the club can't? This cup is absolutely pointless to clubs now, sack it off and stop wasting everybody's time. No problem if the top teams want to rest players, because they actually have priorities elsewhere, but there is literally no excuse not to go for it tonight. Why are we prioritising losing 3-0 at Chelsea over a shot at silverware?

Saturday finally made me turn on Puel and he's really not helping himself by doing this shit. Last year we played against a really weakened Man City team for a place in the semi finals (with Bristol City in hindsight), but instead made a shit ton of changes to focus on coming 9th.

The Carabao Cup is just who has the best second team and the big boys will win it every year and their fans couldn't give a shit about it. It's the epitome of everything wrong with football. I never leave early, but if we've gone with multiple changes and are 0-3 down I'm not staying. If we go for it and get twatted then that's fair enough.

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

I personally would rather go full on in the Cup now rather than the league. Don't think we're in any position to finish 7th and if we do I don't see us having a good enough squad to cope with the Europa League. Probably rather we finished 8th/9th and focused on building the young squad up to that level.

I'd happily let the kids play away at Chelsea and name our best possible team tonight.

So would I, but there is more than a whiff of hypocrisy on here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

I said after Man City knocked us out last year that I'm not bothering with this stupid cup anymore, and like a twat I've bought a ticket for tonight. That was off the back of the 2-0 win over Watford, but I've only got myself to blame.

Seriously, why the **** should fans be arsed if the club can't? This cup is absolutely pointless to clubs now, sack it off and stop wasting everyone's times. Fair enough if the top teams want to rest players because they actually have priorities elsewhere, but there is literally no excuse not to go for it tonight. Why are we prioritising losing 3-0 at Chelsea over a shot at silverware?

Saturday finally made me turn on Puel and he's really not helping himself, doing this shit. Last year we played against a weakened Man City team for a place in the semi finals (with Bristol City in hindsight), but instead made a shit ton of changes to focus on coming 9th instead.

The Carabao Cup is just who has the best second team and the big boys will win it every year. Absolutely everything that is wrong with football. I never leave early, but if we've gone with multiple changes and are 0-3 down I'm not staying. If we go for it and lose then that's fair enough.

Last year it was one of the few games I managed to get to and I enjoyed it

Atmosphere was good, the game was entertaining.  Gray won a peno with what I was told was a clear dive.  Loved it, good night

Shame we lost, but it was worth going.  If I could make it to this one i'd be there

Just now, Babylon said:

So would I, but there is more than a whiff of hypocrisy on here.

Hmm, I think it's totally different to want us to go hard in the Cup but pick and choose our League games.

Had this been a league game i'd totally agree with you, but it's only natural to want to the club to go all out for the win in every game in a knock-out competition.

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because he wouldn't have been slaughtered had he fielded a weakened team at Palace and we lost? It's easy with hindsight knowing we lost the game playing full strength. But I'm not having it that people wouldn't have been lambasting him for resting the players he is doing tonight last Saturday.  Come on, you know he would.

He should go full strength against both. Spurs manage to do it. Ranieri managed to do it with us. This non-stop rotation is hardly working is it? He's inflexible though, chunters on about a big squad but this is a cup quarter final. Theres a time and a place for making wholesale changes. 

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

No one is questioning his injury. People are questioning prioritising the leagues games rather than the cup quarter final.

If there was a chance that he couldn't play two games so close together then he should have been on the bench on Saturday.

Then people would still have moaned saying if he’s fit enough to be on the bench he’s fit enough to start , or we look toothless without him and we need 3 points with what games in the league we have coming up . No win situation as he is not fully fit . 

1 hour ago, WarehamFox said:

Passed the Man City coach on the M69 about a hour ago, guessing it’s come down empty and will pick the players up from airport/train station later? If the players were on board what on earth would they do in Leicester for 8 hours before kickoff? 

It’s quite common that teams will still visit a hotel pre match - have dinner, run through tactics, chill out and then go to the match as they would do for an overnight. Some clubs even do it for their home games. 

Last year, while this contest was ongoing, I got engaged at halftime. One of the best days of my life. Only way it could have been better was if we'd won on penalties.

I'd like to see a different outcome this time around, and I think we can do it.

Edited by UPinCarolina

38 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Last year it was one of the few games I managed to get to and I enjoyed it

Atmosphere was good, the game was entertaining.  Gray won a peno with what I was told was a clear dive.  Loved it, good night

Shame we lost, but it was worth going.  If I could make it to this one i'd be there

I remember the Man City fans and media banging on about that while at the same time ignoring the fact that Man City has 3 players booked for diving in the same game. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

"I don't see it being an easy win"

*Proceeds to name a starting 11 with a good 6/7 world class players in it*

Ridiculous isn't it?

I can only think of maybe 3 players in the Premier league who'd comfortably get into a front 4 ahead of KdB/Sane/Mahrez/Aguero. One plays for Chelsea, one plays for Liverpool, and the other will probably be on their bench tonight!

• Like 1

* JONNY EVANS IS SUSPENDED *

Just in case people ask why he’s not involved. 

Tonight i I would be going for 

Ward

Simpson

Fuchs 

Soyuncu

Maguire

Ricardo

Iborra

Mendy

Gray

Maddison

Vardy 

But as we all know it’s looking likely that Vardy won’t start. (Or even be in the squad if some rumours are true) 

We don't know for sure the team he'll pick or how it will pan out but let me just say now, picking anything other than our strongest team tonight is the wrong decision.

We may play a weaker side and still win which would be great, but it won't make doing so the right decision.

For every game you can get odds on a final result and those odds are based on the likelihood of one team to beat another based on the strength of their playing squads. It goes without saying that a team with Vardy, Maguire, Schmeichel and Ndid (in spit of recent form being questionable) is our strongest option.

Puel may defy the odds tonight by us winning with a weaker team but that doesn't make it the right thing to have done if he does indeed do that as reported.

This is an opportunity to get into a semi-final with potentially Middlesbrough or Burton as opponents: do the right thing and play your strongest team Claude.

That video thats being shared on Facebook of the Man City team/squad in Nuneaton Station... well either the big guns had already exited the station pre filming or I didn't spot any of them. Only Sterling(I think) and Mahrez were there.

Really hard one to pick the team for tonight. 

Something which I have been pondering over this afternoon (and be gentle on me here because I know I don't know as much about football as 90% of you on here), but how about playing Ghezzal in a midfield of 3. Reason being we need someone in midfield who can help us get forward more, and from what I have seen of him playing in that number 10 role he is definitely able to pick out those passes which turn defense into attack. He also is comfortable shooting from the edge of the area - if we had someone who could actually shoot (and his record shows he can) picking up those balls that Wilf keeps getting, then we might actually start picking up more goals from that position. He's also showed that he's not afraid to tackle, and I know quite a few people have been pleasantly surprised by his defensive contribution. Playing in midfield his lack of pace will be less of an issue as well.

So something like:

Ward

Ricardo Morgan Maguire Fuchs

Wilf Ghezzal Mendy

Maddison Nacho Gray (interchanging)

Edited by rachhere

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That video thats being shared on Facebook of the Man City team/squad in Nuneaton Station... well either the big guns had already exited the station pre filming or I didn't spot any of them. Only Sterling(I think) and Mahrez were there.

Ederson, Walker, Gundogan, Delph, Aguero were all there. They’ve quite a lot of injuries apparently. They’ll play a strong side.