Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Next Manager ....

13 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

I do apologise, but I am really struggling to see how Rodgers is as bad as some of you are trying to make out? So please do enlighten me....

He did a fantastic job at Swansea, guiding them to and keeping them in the PL, and he took Liverpool to within points of winning the title. For a manager with little background that was an impressive effort. And we can lock Celtic all we want, but he has achieved things with them that other managers have failed to do?

When I mentioned to my none Leicester supporting peers that I’d like Rodgers, they laugh. They all think he is far too good for us and wouldn’t ever consider joining us, so it’s amusing that certain pockets of fans have somehow decided he’s shite with little evidence to back it up, and believe he would be a complete failure here..... we need a sensible oppointment, Rodgers would be just that. 

Exactly the same here - my mate is a Swansea fan and he thinks he wouldn’t be interested (did I hear Ian Stringer saying he’d previously applied for the job?), and would be looking at a job like West Ham, Everton or even Spurs should Poch leave.

I’d love to see what he could do here, but would be surprised if he left Celtic mid-season.

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Of course we are attractive, new 100 million training ground on the horizon, do you think Rodgers would rather play against the likes of St Johnstone or Newcastle?

We are probably the best option outside of the Top 6, if he does well at Leicester City his stock would rise again, and would be a contender for a Top 4 team, its a win win for him. At Celtic its not testing for him.

What is wrong with St Johnstone?!! 

And remember Celtic also have the mighty St Mirren and Hamilton Accies in their P/L. Plus there is always a chance of playing the legendary Stenhousemuir in the cup.

Big challenges for any manager!

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

What was it about his performance as a Premiership manager that leads anyone to believe he'd be good for us? Many appear to just be snow blind because he's German and has a mate called Klopp. He did well in the Championship but so did Neil Warnock who out of the two has a better track record!

Neil Warnock absolutely doesn't have a better track record than Wagner - he's never even kept a club in this division, which Wagner managed at his first attempt last season with a club with barely any resources. Warnock took Sheffield United down, got sacked at QPR when they were circling the drain and, as of now, Cardiff are one point above the relegation zone. The bloke is total dross. 

Agree that there is a question mark over Wagner, but let's not try and claim that Warnock is better, he's an absolutely garbage manager.

21 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Whoever it is I can see a lot of people being very disappointed with how things go over the next few months

absolutely. 

lots of people on here clearly expecting some sort of magical improvement and a rush into the top 6.

not going to happen, no matter who the manager, we don't have the players for it. massively lacking strikers - we've been creating plenty of chances and that's 90% of the battle. Rogers, Benitez, whoever - ain't lacing up boots and sticking those chances in themselves. 

at best we'll have a bounce and end up back to 9th/10th and as we've seen recently, that isn't good enough any more - then we can hound out the next man that doesn't perform miracles. 

I've supported Puel as I've always looked at the long-term and don't believe he's got the players here, yet - despite making good signings that were moving us in the right direction. It's been hard to argue for the short-term recently, some of the results have been crap but anyone expecting anything much better from the current squad is going to be sorely disappointed.

personally think Rogers is probably the best we can do right now and imo, it ain't worth ****ing about - pay Celtic 7, 8, 9, 10 million whatever the **** it takes in compensation and get him here, feet under the table so he can suss this load of shite out before the summer window and can get in some players in positions we desperately need. it'll also give him time to realise that the old-guard ain't the answer and ship them the **** out ASAP so we don't see stupid new contracts for past-it players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indierich06 said:

If we're going to go for Rodgers then just pay the money and get him in - always seems weird to me that we seem reluctant to pay to get managers in, but we're happy to spaff £30m on players like Slimani and Musa!

Rodgers could have taken a job in China this season and tripled his wages, but he turned it down. 

He's often said it's not about the money but all about being happy in his role. 

2 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

absolutely. 

lots of people on here clearly expecting some sort of magical improvement and a rush into the top 6.

not going to happen, no matter who the manager, we don't have the players for it. massively lacking strikers - we've been creating plenty of chances and that's 90% of the battle. Rogers, Benitez, whoever - ain't lacing up boots and sticking those chances in themselves. 

at best we'll have a bounce and end up back to 9th/10th and as we've seen recently, that isn't good enough any more - then we can hound out the next man that doesn't perform miracles. 

I've supported Puel as I've always looked at the long-term and don't believe he's got the players here, yet - despite making good signings that were moving us in the right direction. It's been hard to argue for the short-term recently, some of the results have been crap but anyone expecting anything much better from the current squad is going to be sorely disappointed.

personally think Rogers is probably the best we can do right now and imo, it ain't worth ****ing about - pay Celtic 7, 8, 9, 10 million whatever the **** it takes in compensation and get him here, feet under the table so he can suss this load of shite out before the summer window and can get in some players in positions we desperately need. it'll also give him time to realise that the old-guard ain't the answer and ship them the **** out ASAP so we don't see stupid new contracts for past-it players. 

I don't think people would mind top 10 and a decent cup run every season, just provided we're not playing dog shit football that bores everyone to death with a manager who tells fans their concerns aren't worth his time.

14 minutes ago, MrLuke said:

Exactly the same here - my mate is a Swansea fan and he thinks he wouldn’t be interested (did I hear Ian Stringer saying he’d previously applied for the job?), and would be looking at a job like West Ham, Everton or even Spurs should Poch leave.

I’d love to see what he could do here, but would be surprised if he left Celtic mid-season.

Spurs wouldn’t appoint him under any circumstances I’d be pretty confident in that 

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy said:

Rodgers could have taken a job in China this season and tripled his wages, but he turned it down. 

He's often said it's not about the money but all about being happy in his role. 

I'm more talking about the compensation for the club and the fact that we mostly seem to go for out of work managers. But we should pay him whatever he wants within reason too.

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Has Rodgers publicly stated he wants to get back into the Premier League?

If Ashley sells and Newcastle get a mega rich owner in, then maybe Benitez will be happy staying put.

I don't know if Rodgers has explicitly said it, but if he has any ambition whatsoever - which I think he does - he'll want to get out of the Scottish Premier asap. Plus, whenever he's asked about the Leicester job he gives the classic "I'm just concentrating on my current job" answer. Which means that he's interested.

Yes, if Newcastle are taken over by mega rich owners then Benitez will probably stay. But I don't think he'll hang around forever waiting for that to happen.

There's two slight worries about Rodgers for me

1) He's become uncomfortable at Celtic at the first sign of pressure (from Rangers and also from stresses with the board)

2) If he does well he's probably ours for a season and a half at best.... with all that's going on development wise around the club I feel like we need someone who could be here for 4 or 5 years. Which isn't that unlikely, the fact is as long as we're between 7th and 9th, getting to cup finals and playing entertaining football everyone will be delighted. At present we're only a couple of wins and some better team selections in cups away from that happening. 

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

1) He's become uncomfortable at Celtic at the first sign of pressure (from Rangers and also from stresses with the board)

Has he?

They’re 8 points clear at the top, won the league cup and in the quarter finals of the FA Cup. More than likely going to win the treble.

How does that mean he’s uncomfortable at the first sign of pressure?

6 minutes ago, AjcW said:

2) If he does well he's probably ours for a season and a half at best.... with all that's going on development wise around the club I feel like we need someone who could be here for 4 or 5 years. Which isn't that unlikely, the fact is as long as we're between 7th and 9th, getting to cup finals and playing entertaining football everyone will be delighted. At present we're only a couple of wins and some better team selections in cups away from that happening. 

I think Rodgers is more than capable to take us forward, his one blotch on his CV was his tenure at Reading but that's fine. He's gone on to evidence that he's a good manager.

He plays an exciting brand of football, has brought through youth to a team and displays the ability to motivate and work with players.

Just now, Rusko187 said:

I think Rodgers is more than capable to take us forward, his one blotch on his CV was his tenure at Reading but that's fine. He's gone on to evidence that he's a good manager.

He plays an exciting brand of football, has brought through youth to a team and displays the ability to motivate and work with players.

Probably wasn’t Liverpool standard as a manager although imo he did well. For a club of our stature I believe he could take up to the Top 7 on a regular basis and maybe in time push for a Top 6 finish.

I think he understands what cup competitions mean for a club like Leicester City so I don’t think he would make the same mistakes that Puel did.

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy said:

Has he?

They’re 8 points clear at the top, won the league cup and in the quarter finals of the FA Cup. More than likely going to win the treble.

How does that mean he’s uncomfortable at the first sign of pressure?

It just seems to me that, despite once again being comfortable in the league (eventually), he's not enjoyed the competition that Rangers have brought to the table this season, and he's seemed quite open about his frustrations as if he's trying to carve his way out.... which is fine, it's just there's no reason that wont happen here as soon as a team above us come sniffing around. 

Just now, Rusko187 said:

Just trying to provide a balance, i'm keen on him coming in also.

• Like 1

@Babylon @Happy Fox

I understand what you're saying guys, let me put it this way, would he risk the comfort and safety of a big club like Celtic for us? I'm not sure he is this adventurous. I could be proven wrong of course. I'd rather if we appoint someone else than him though.

Edited by Chester Dontlie

23 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Plus, whenever he's asked about the Leicester job he gives the classic "I'm just concentrating on my current job" answer. Which means that he's interested.

:D or maybe it doesn’t!

Maybe it means “I’m just concentrating on my current job”

We can’t read the blokes mind or assume he wants to come here just because we want him

to.

3 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

@Babylon @Happy Fox

I understand what you're saying guys, let me put it this way, would he risk the comfort and safety of a big club like Celtic for us? I'm not sure he is this adventurous. I could be proven wrong of course. I'd rather if we appoint someone else than him though.

Celtic are a big club, no doubting that, but they play in a league where is no competition. Other than Rangers, Aberdeen, and one or two others the rest of the league is league one/2 standard.

The premier league far outweighs the SPL. If Rodgers wants to get his career back on track a club of our stature could rekick his career, I think we have the tools in place for him to deliver.

6 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

@Babylon @Happy Fox

Depends if he's ambitious and ever wants to move up the football ladder again. The only way that happens if to prove himself in England again, or do something amazing with Celtic in Europe.