Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Brendan Rodgers

Wow. This is really going to happen. I feel like I just got sucker punched....... in a good way. After 6 1/2 years of watching BRs teams every game, the tour moves on. Never thought he'd leave a team mid season.

I can't believe he would come here if he wasn't allowed to build something special. I'm in shock......in a good way!

Speed and Aggression of the pl every week. Memories of watching him build a team to compete for the league title. IT'S ON. 

9 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:
  • I also have a friend who supports Celtic. He is totally gutted, and can't understand why he has left to join a club like Leicester.

Because we have more money and talent. They took Mon, we have Rogers, all fair now

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Wow. This is really going to happen. I feel like I just got sucker punched....... in a good way. After 6 1/2 years of watching BRs teams every game, the tour moves on. Never thought he'd leave a team mid season.

I can't believe he would come here if he wasn't allowed to build something special. I'm in shock......in a good way!

Speed and Aggression of the pl every week. Memories of watching him build a team to compete for the league title. IT'S ON. 

What about the Character?

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Who do you support 

“Brendan Rodgers FC”

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Calm down a bit!

Good article:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12309/11648717/brendan-rodgers-to-leicester-the-main-challenges-he-will-face

Brendan Rodgers to Leicester: The main challenges he will face

Brendan Rodgers is nearing a move to Leicester

Leicester are closing in on the appointment of Brendan Rodgers to succeed Claude Puel, but what are the main challenges he will face at the King Power Stadium?

Celtic have given Rodgers permission to discuss the terms with Leicester, paving the way for him to return to the Premier League for the first time since his departure from Liverpool in 2014.

From developing Leicester's young stars to making a fist of the cup competitions, here are the key areas in need of attention in his new role…

Develop the youth

Puel had his faults but one thing he can't be accused of is failing to give Leicester's young players chances. Wilfred Ndidi, James Maddison, Ben Chilwell and Demarai Gray (all 22) became key figures in his youthful side and there were also Premier League opportunities for Hamza Choudhury, Harvey Barnes and January signing Youri Tielemans (all 21).

It is a thrilling collection of young players - perhaps the most exciting outside the Premier League's big six - and one of the biggest challenges for Rodgers will be to continue its development. Leicester's rising stars are vital to the club's long-term future, and with the summer transfer window still several months away, they will also be crucial in the short-term.

It's handy, then, that player development is one of Rodgers' strongest attributes as a coach.The Northern Irishman started out as a youth coach at Chelsea, where he was hand-picked by Jose Mourinho soon after his arrival in England in 2004. From there, he went on to Watford, Reading, Swansea, Liverpool and Celtic, but he has carried his experiences in Chelsea's academy with him every step of the way.

He moulded Ben Davies and Joe Allen into top-level Premier League players at Swansea, and his tantalising brush with the Premier League title at Liverpool in 2013/14 owed a lot to his fine work with Philippe Coutinho, Raheem Sterling and Jon Flanagan, all of whom became key players.

Rodgers continued to champion youth during his time in charge of Celtic, where the current first-team squad contains 12 players aged 22 or under. As well as bigger names such as Kieran Tierney and Oliver Burke (both 21), Rodgers has given senior opportunities to Mikey Johnston (19), Kristoffer Ajer (20) and Filip Benkovic (21), a player he will be reunited with at Leicester.

Benkovic is not the only talented young player who jumped at the chance to work with Rodgers at Celtic, with Paris Saint-Germain loan signing Timothy Weah the latest example, and Leicester will be hopeful of more of the same at the King Power Stadium.

"When I eventually retire from football, I want to be able to look back and see that not only have I won trophies but I've developed a football club that has brought through their own youth players and made them better," said Rodgers in 2014. "That is very important in my work.

"Other managers may be different and might just be about purely winning trophies but for me success isn't just about picking up the trophy at the end of the season. It's also about the football club, giving value to young players and seeing them develop."

Leicester are crying out for a new identity. In the extraordinary, title-winning 2015/16 season under Claudio Ranieri, the team was known for its defensive solidity and devastating counter-attacking, but that approach has given way to something more muddled in recent years.

Leicester under Puel 2018/19

• 32 goals scored (12th in PL)
  •  
  • 38 goals conceded (11th in PL)
  • 49.3% possession (8th in PL)
  •  
  • 9.0% shot conversion (14th in PL)

What was Leicester's playing style under Puel? It was not an easy question to answer. There was more of an emphasis on possession, certainly, but the speed of play was often pedestrian and there was also a struggle to create scoring chances.Leicester target Brendan Rodgers is one of the best managers around at present, and isn't given the credit he deserves, insists Paul Merson.

Leicester have only scored 32 goals in 27 Premier League games this season. There have been high points - not least the 2-1 win over Manchester City on Boxing Day - but consistency has been lacking and so too has entertainment.

Rodgers looks like the right man to change that. He has been committed to attractive, attacking football ever since his days coaching in Chelsea's academy, and providing some excitement for a disillusioned fanbase is sure to be one of his priorities.

His Liverpool side played with ferocious intensity in 2013/14 and he is likely to demand the same kind of work-rate from his Leicester players. He certainly has the tools. Puel did not play to Jamie Vardy's strengths but the 32-year-old's powers have not diminished. In Gray, Kelechi Iheanacho, Tielemans and Maddison, the squad is not light on pace and creativity.

Leicester supporters would dearly love to see Rodgers harness that pace and creativity far better than his predecessor, and he might also be helped by deciding on a more settled starting line-up.

Target the cups

Puel's refusal to take the cup competitions seriously was another major bone of contention among Leicester supporters. Having experienced the highs of their 2015/16 title triumph, those supporters were reluctant to accept a mid-table finish as being the club's priority.

Puel rested Riyad Mahrez and Vardy for their EFL Cup quarter-final with Manchester City in his first season, missing an opportunity to move into the last four at the expense of a second-string City side, and it was a similar story this year. Puel paid the price for leaving out his best players in their FA Cup humiliation against Newport County - and there was more complacency as they crashed out of the EFL Cup to Wolves.Brendan Rodgers has won seven trophies with Celtic

Leicester's early eliminations mean Rodgers will not get the chance to prioritise the cups in what remains of this season, but supporters will expect a change of approach in 2019/20.

They can take encouragement from Rodgers' record in Scotland, where he won Scottish Cup and League Cup doubles in each of his full seasons in charge. He arrives in the Midlands having already clinched this season's League Cup, with the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup to come this weekend.

Edited by Happy Fox
  • Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Calm down a bit!

No Way! After watching the Scottish League for 2 1/2 years I'm finally out of jail. You think refs are bad in the PL!