Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Watford, A Match Thread

Nervous about Wes back in and it seems a retrograde step given that he is not our future.

Hoping that Brendan has been clear to the team about what he expects from them.

The match could go either way and so will be happy with a draw given its early days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxes21 said:

Positionally, where should the back 3 play?

Maguire is an obvious consideration for LCB, but what about him being central of the 3? Similar to Luiz under Conte, who’s job was to spray the ball . 

I'd have Morgan in the middle, less likely to be targeted on pace that way. Can fight with Deeney.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

West Brom fans reckoned he was more effective central.

I watched a fair few of their matches as sky sports seemed to be obsessed with West Brom this season. I would agree, would be happy to see him further up the pitch and also playing a more central role.

Well not a bad first team choice hoping big Wes Steps up and delivers a captains performance today, New manager syndrome could be a great performance from the lads hoping Barnes can get that goal he so needs to get going Baggies mates thinks once he’ll get his first he’ll be scoring a few for us!’

So going to go for a decent 1-3 win for Brendan Rodgers Blue Army !!:scarf:

14 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

decent line up that, I thught the line up was more a 3-4-2-1

I think it will be something like this. Probably Barnes and Maddison just behind Vardy. Rodgers did use a system like this at times at Liverpool. 

Honestly I think this is just a way to incorporate Wes to win over the dressing room and we will change formations, but with Soyuncu in the squad and Benkovic returning next season it’s definitely possible we will mix formations when needed. 

4 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Soyuncu for Morgan IMO but rest is good.

Long term I think that's a given. With Morgan (and Maguire, possibly) likely off in the summer then Soyuncu will get his chance alongside Benkovic and Evans.

For now, though, Soyuncu is lacking match fitness and I wonder if the language barrier has meant it's been harder for Rodgers to get his new tactics across to the Turk. That's not a criticism on either of them, btw, it just might take a little bit longer for him to adapt. He's on the bench though, so we'll probably see him sooner rather than later.

Did he play in a 3 at his former club?

5 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

Bench continues to look strong and can be used to change the game.

Lack of an Ulloa/Slimani type player will be resolved in the Summer i imagine 

Do you think that sort of player has to be someone 30+ experienced willing to play from the bench or someone young? 

I feel like the ideal is someone around 27 in their prime but don’t think you can keep them happy on the bench! 

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

Long term I think that's a given. With Morgan (and Maguire, possibly) likely off in the summer then Soyuncu will get his chance alongside Benkovic and Evans.

For now, though, Soyuncu is lacking match fitness and I wonder if the language barrier has meant it's been harder for Rodgers to get his new tactics across to the Turk. That's not a criticism on either of them, btw, it just might take a little bit longer for him to adapt. He's on the bench though, so we'll probably see him sooner rather than later.

Did he play in a 3 at his former club?

He tried to play 3 at Celtic whenever possible but had a lack of quality CBs so if one was injured, had to go with 4 at the back but he DID play it occasionally. 

Playing Pereira and Chilwell as wingbacks when they are wingbacks.

Playing 3 central defenders when we have 4 decent central defenders and another decent one out on loan.

Getting more support up closer to Vardy.

All of it is common sense. Hopefully we won't see Ndidi defending the flanks and getting caught on the ball. Hopefully we won't see Maddison losing it in our final third. Pereira and Chilwell have more of a licence. Barnes and Maddison can be slightly more central.

Very very very excited about this.

2 hours ago, 49er said:

More licence for Ricardo and Chilwell to bomb forward. Also, Maguire can come more into the midfield and spray the ball around

It's the space behind them that is the problem. That's the only weakness of Fullbacks bombing. Watch for one staying behind.

Edited by SO1

24 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

So its ok to have Morgan if its a back 3?

Interesting

Yes, because in a 2 with Maguire he is not able to cover Maguire’s marauding runs. We were pretty solid with Morgan and Evans when Harry was injured. It also gives Morgan more simple options to pass the ball out.

It suits Morgan, Maguire, Chilwell, Ricardo and probably Evans. Maguire pushing on supports the midfield, means the midfield and full backs can get forwards with more freedom, the only question is whether we will have enough up top with just 3 “attacking players”.

• Like 1

It feels weird to look forward to a match after putting up with Puel for so long, just knowing we'd concede early every time and probably lose again.

Very interested to see how we get on with 352. I think it might be the best formation for us right now. We're short of good wingers with Albrighton out, Maguire and the wing backs can push on without leaving us short at the back, and we can play two up front.

Not expecting a result, but I'd like to see a more energetic display than we're used to. Shouldn't be difficult.