Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

This place is pathetic these days for over-reacting to any negative opinion on a player / manager. Turned on Maguire? No. I just don't necessarily think he's worth sixty five million. If we are seriously offered that then for me he goes.

I agree with that but re-read the match thread from Saturday around the time of his sending-off.

He's not universally popular on here. At the ground he is, though.

If a bid comes in for £65m, you could prob just toss a coin for it....

Either you've pulled of a cracking piece of business or we keep him and we've got one of the leagues better CB's. 

I would probably be inclined to take the cash, enhancing our chances of keeping Chilwell which I'd argue is the more important player for us considering the rest of the squad.

Rodgers rates Evans highly (see his latest interview)

Us accepting a fee for Maguire could all come down to how highly he rates Benkovic from his time at Celtic. 

He may see them as an adequate two with Morgan and Soyuncu in reserve.

I never believe we should sell our best players but this is a unique situation.

Given the number and quality of the CBs  in the squad and the sum involved, I think this time it makes sense to take the money.

We have a few big projects in the pipeline, Training ground, Stadium expansion and squad improvement 65 million would go along way to ease the Cash flow without seriously damaging the squad.

I advocated we sign Maguire when we could have got him for 2million and he has been great for us, But he does lack pace as does Evans and Morgan.

So a younger mobile CB like Benkovic or Soyuncu makes sense plus they'd grow with the rest of our young squad.

I think it will come down to how BR feels about the incumbents. If he thinks they can step up then I think Maguire will go.

• Like 1

If we could secure that sort of fee then I personally think it's a no brainer.

Maguire is a very good player but not a great defender. I believe he started out as a midfielder but you can see how he's ended up as a Centre Back. Clearly someone pointed out to him that he isn't mobile enough to play centre mid, but as big lad with decent feet he could probably play centre back in the modern game where ball playing defender's are favoured. The issue is that positionally he doesn't have a defender's instinct meaning he's often caught out of position. 

If he was to go I wouldn't feel overly concerned as I think we have adequate replacements at the club already, and if we did have to dip into the transfer market then there are plenty of player's who could easily come in and perform at a similar level to that which he has shown since signing. 

6 hours ago, Corky said:

I agree with that but re-read the match thread from Saturday around the time of his sending-off.

He's not universally popular on here. At the ground he is, though.

Will have a read of it but to be honest I think in the heat of the moment people will post things they don't necessarily mean.

I've always had him down as popular with pretty much everyone - the fans here, the players here, the England fans, the other England players. He's just really likeable.

But I've always thought that this does inflate people's opinion of him as a player. For me he's very decent on the ball for a centre half, granted probably takes more risks than his pace of the rest of our side can compensate for, is an average to good defender at this level. We had our best period defensively this season with him out of the side and I'm not sure it's a coincidence.

If we sold him I'd wish him all the best, I'd be quite sad to see him totally flunk it at Manchester United but at the same time I think we've got to be pretty savvy with our money too for two reasons. One is the training ground / expansion that we need to pay for. The other is that quite simply this is the only way you break these top clubs - by using your money better than they do. If we sold Maguire to Man Utd and managed to sign Tielemans, Benkovic comes good (there is every chance he's as good as, if not better) then who truly is the winner overall?

I'd be surprised if this happens really. Can Manchester United seriously not sign a better defender than Maguire? I thought they would be fishing in better waters. He's good but not top bracket.

• Like 1

I’d be shocked if United were really willing to offer 65 million, but if they are I’d happily drive him there myself. Good player, notable flaws, not worth 65 million and a position of depth for us. No-brainer if this was really on the table.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Thanks 1

What this thread has taught me is that some of you have very weird market expectations. Maguire is objectively not worth more than 40 million in this market, crazy not to sell him for +25 million over his value. No, this doesn't make us Southampton. No, we shouldn't be trying to sell him for Van Dijk money...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

What this thread has taught me is that some of you have very weird market expectations. Maguire is objectively not worth more than 40 million in this market, crazy not to sell him for +25 million over his value. No, this doesn't make us Southampton. No, we shouldn't be trying to sell him for Van Dijk money...

I think Hull get a chunky sell on fee so I’m sure that is to be factored in to the price 

If Manure really want him then I'd be looking for a player and cash.

One of their younger talents not quite playing like Mason whatsisname or Gomes plus cash. We'll either waste or not use the money.

Think chelsea would be better off getting him though, then I'd ask for Hudson odoi :ph34r:

The worst investment we could make is to cash in on our best players if that weakens the team so that we move from being a mid-table side looking to improve to a lower-table side fighting against the drop.  Relegation would be a financial disaster.  Sell him if we must, but only if we can make things better with the money.