Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

I don't want to sell him and I'm not even sure why. he's not been very good all year but I still don't want to sell him. just cos. harry Maguire and his massive head innit. 

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Smalling's probably better and has far more experience. He's currently being unfairly left out of England team. The other two are probably the same quality as Maguire - the difference being every mistake they make at United is under scrutiny whilst Maguire gets away with his errors here. Jones at Blackburn was pretty much considered the same Maguire is now. 

Anything around £50million is a brilliant deal.

Personally I think he is better than those you have quoted, but I agree it's not too far off those guys. He is still our best defender, he has the ability to be brilliant but has struggled to hit the heights of last season. We shouldn't be slating him for that, as it's just the natural effect of not resting in the summer. He would walk into most teams in the league and his performance against Liverpool away was an example of his defensive and attacking prowess. I agree that 50m would be about right in terms of his talent, but if we can get 65, as he is a full international and English which inflates the price, then why not? Could you imagine his attacking ability in a team like utd where he passes it to pogba, Rashford, martial instead of his early season options of ndidi and mendy? Just a quick throught though, no one thought VVD was that good until he played for a big team. Maguire has proved his credentials with England. 

I would personally sell, despite his ability, but not because of the fact I want him to go, its just with our infrastructure projects, we need to raise money through player sales to ensure we can improve the whole squad as with benkovic back, that money could really improve our rm, cm and striker which are needed. 

Probably just his agent drumming up some interest. Obviously would take that kind of money for him but can't see it happening. 

As usual though, the consensus on this forum goes from one end of the spectrum to the other. Now he is 'shit' and we need to 'get rid', he's a very good player who is maybe having a bit of a dip currently and everyone is remembering every mistake he makes. Evans is now our best defender now everyone has forgot the mistakes he made earlier in the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Amazing how this forum has turned on Maguire.

He's our best central defender by an absolute mile. 

We've hardly "turned on" him by admitting that for the oft quoted price a sale wouldn't be heartbreaking.

That said, the question seems to be "when" and not "if" - and to "whom"

Edited by UPinCarolina

If that's the fee, snap their hand off.

I like Maguire, I really do, and I'd genuinely love him to stay, but that money would go so far to improving our squad at a time where funds could otherwise be quite tight because of the training ground. We have plenty of decent backup in that position, too, with Evans and now Morgan here next year, as well as Benkovic who is apparently highly promising and Soyuncu who has looked capable at this level. A few youngsters knocking on the door as well.

£65m could be invested in securing Tielemans and another striker like Adams. If you ask me, Tielemans adds more to the squad than Maguire does so if one leaving facilitates the other staying then by all means make it happen.

He's our best central defender by far, but for 65 million (more than Mahrez!) we would be indescribable fools not to sell him. That would pay off the part of Tielemans' fee Silva wouldn't cover and the remaining training ground debt, with change.

Edited by Nicolo Barella

14 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

We've hardly "turned on" him by admitting that for the oft quoted price a sale wouldn't be heartbreaking.

That said, the question seems to be "when" and not "if" - and to "whom"

5 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

He's our best central defender by far, but for 65 million (more than Mahrez!) we would be indescribable fools not to sell him. That would pay off the part of Tielemans' fee Silva wouldn't cover and the remaining training ground debt, with change.

Exactly. I'm not turning on him, I like him and I'd be happy if we keep him. 

Just 65m makes him one of the most expensive defenders in the world and is more than his true value tbh. 

We'd have a lot to reinvest if we sold him for that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

He's a cult hero already, but you don't turn down £65m. We got less for Mahrez.

A cult hero? for doing what.. helping us finishing midtable?

Edited by Simoken

1 minute ago, Simoken said:

A cult hero? for doing what.. helping us finishing midtable?

Is that not in essence what a cult hero is? Someone who is more popular than their ability suggests. Benalouane was another. Obviously he's far better than Benalouane but he's very popular without being a top bracket player.

• Like 1

I'd take £65mill. He's not worth anywhere near that, even in today's stupidly inflated market.

It's a shame Evans is at the back end of his career because I feel Evans is our best defender and best passer of a ball out the back.

He'd be a big loss to us but is far from irreplaceable. If the fee is as projected with a hefty amount up front, I'd be inclined to take it.

Put it this way, if we needed to sell to get Tielemans it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

I'm really not sure about this. If the price is 65 million he will go but with Chilwell also likely to depart that will be half our defence to replace.

This summer 65 million will probably get you 1 and a half decent players but no more.

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

I'm really not sure about this. If the price is 65 million he will go but with Chilwell also likely to depart that will be half our defence to replace.

This summer 65 million will probably get you 1 and a half decent players but no more.

I think £100 million would go pretty far. Arguably we wouldn't be looking for a centre half anyway with Benkovic becoming effectively a new signing to replace Harry. We would need a new LB but I cannot see us spending more than £20-25 million on a player. We could get LB, CM and RW sorted for that.

Drinkwater is a legit club legend, like one of the best midfielders in the history of the club, I was still pretty happy that we took Chelsea's pants down over his fee. 

It'll be the same if Maguire goes for 65+ only without the sentimental connection for me personally. 

Edit: less amused when I saw what we bought to replace him mind and it worries the shit out of me we'll probably sell Slabhead for 65m then buy like Maya Yoshida for 85m.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1