Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

West Ham 2-2 post Match Thread

9 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

He's not as good as he thinks. He's not as good as we want him to be. He not as good as we thought he would be.

He has improved defensively this season but his progress could have been better.

He's lower-mid table Premier League quality, an under-21 England international and he's 22.

How annoyed you are with him depends on your expectation of him.

23 in 2 months 

everyone used to think not playing him consistently was the cause of his lack of form.

his had a good run and he just doesn’t offer enough 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few observations from today's game (my first away game in years):

We would have lost that earlier this season. We didn't play that well but dug ourselves out of a hole. Bodes well for the future.

Harvey will fly now, I'm sure of it. The lad has so much talent and now he's broken his duck he'll get better.

Youri Tielemans is a wet dream of a player. 

The atmosphere at the Taxpayer's Stadium is really strange. It just doesn't work. Can see why many of their fans don't bother. 

• Like 2

Seemed a bit too passive for long spells today. Invited pressure by over playing and paid the penalty. Certainly didn't  deserve to lose though. Crap place to watch football and appalling getting away after the game. Won' t be going back there in a hurry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

23 in 2 months 

everyone used to think not playing him consistently was the cause of his lack of form.

his had a good run and he just doesn’t offer enough 

You're right that his run hasn't seen him improve as much as we'd like. Barnes will soon overtake him in goals (has already in assists) in fewer minutes. The one thing that Gray offers is that he's much better defensively than Barnes and he's better on the ball than Albrighton. Gray, unless his game improves, is essentially a young squad filler. But our transfer priorities are going to be a striker and Tielemans surely. I'm not sure our budget will reach to replacing a 23 year old lower-mid table Premier League quality winger. Next season I suspect we'll use Barnes and rotate Albrighton and Gray, occasionally using Richardo on the wing with Amartey at RB. Amartey could be a real boon next season:

Kasper

Amartey Evans Benk/Mags Chilwell

Ndidi

Richardo Tielemans Maddison Barnes

Vardy

Providing Tielemans stays, Rodgers likes Amartey and Vardy can still play at the same level next season.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

He's not as good as he thinks. He's not as good as we want him to be. He not as good as we thought he would be.

He has improved defensively this season but his progress could have been better. He is working hard although not always effectively.

He's lower-mid table Premier League quality, an under-21 England international and he's 22.

How annoyed you are with him depends on your expectation of him.

I think he is becoming a lot more decisive than early on in the season and like you say has improved defensively as well.

he's a slow burner needs to add more goals and assists, I think next season will be crucial in his development he has to kick on but I do think he is improving slowly.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Seemed a bit too passive for long spells today. Invited pressure by over playing and paid the penalty. Certainly didn't  deserve to lose though. Crap place to watch football and appalling getting away after the game. Won' t be going back there in a hurry.

Totally agree, too ponderous going forward. Is it just me or are too many of our players either too scared or unable to actually beat a player? Far too often Chilwell, or Ricardo or Allbrighton, or Gray would stop, pause and pass rather than even attempt to beat an opponent.

I hope this is a case of Puel's tactics still being hard to shrug off rather than carrying out Brendan's instructions.

• Like 1

Good result, and great to snatch a draw in injury time. We deserved it for our second half performance.

Really, really chuffed for Harvey Barnes, hopefully the first of many for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CloudFox said:

It's just a weird atmosphere. When they (or we) got going it wasn't as awful, but there were parts where it was deathly silent. Felt like a training exercise. Personally think that stadium is too big for them.

I went there for our first game there and not been back since. My impression of it was that the game felt like a pre season friendly. 

• Like 1

Firstly I am hoping Wes Morgan’s child is okay! Is there any update?

secondly, very frustrating at times today. 2 simple goals scored and it frustrates how easy they were the first in particular, quick ball into the box in a good area goal. It is so simple and I feel we do over complicate it at times! 

Nice to see albrighton back alrhough he was obviously a bit rusty, buzzing Barnes got his first goal and kelechi had a nice hand in the equaliser. 

Tielmans sign him up please. Impressed with Rogers so far and looking forward to a full summer and pre season. As much as we would love a European tour I think Rogers could do with uniterupted pre season to get us how we want with the Europa to worry about! 

Agree with others that the stadium is not a football one at all, would be fantastic as athletics and amazing to think olympics were there but I’d hate to go there every week! Atmosphere is zero! 

First goal was really nicely worked.

Great patience to recycle the ball and then a really nicely weighted pass from Maguire to Chilwell which allowed him to get it out of his feet quickly and then a great finish from Vardy.

Second goal was quality from Tielemans.

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

What happened? The boys birthday today so I've missed pretty much everything. 

Morgan got word his child was ill and taken to hospital just prior to the game. Brendan told him to go. Wasn't in match day squad.

• Sad 1