Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd love if VAR/PGMOL released a statement explaining the logic behind each decision being made: so the N'didi handball explaining why it overruled the on-field decision, why it felt DCL didn't foul Soyuncu etc. Like they did with Antonio's offside in the Chelsea game. 
Why do we need to wait for controversial decisions for the thought processes to be brought out? 

To give themselves some time to work out a plausible explanation so they can control the results in games. If everything regarding decisions was laid down in black and white i.e. if we knew that a handball would be given if a player has his arm in the air and it prevents the ball from hitting the head of a player attempting to head in for a goal thereby denying the possibility of a goal, then there wouldn't be any arguments or allegations of corruption, but as it stands a decision can be given with no come back. 

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

i think the foul on cags is irrelevant. i believe that they are only checking the possible handball and nothing else. if a pen is awarded then they check for other stuff going on in and around - the whole thing is badly thought out and in this country especially, poorly implemented

So, had the ref given a penalty then it would've been overturned by VAR? 

Is it too much to expect to have them working in tandem to get a correct decision? 

Its becoming unwatchable and I'm losing interest, to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

So, had the ref given a penalty then it would've been overturned by VAR? 

Is it too much to expect to have them working in tandem to get a correct decision? 

Its becoming unwatchable and I'm losing interest, to be honest. 

common sense is irrelevant - the laws are the laws and the VAR procedures aren't able to be interfered with by refs etc.   had the ref given the pen, then the irony is that the foul on cags would have been checked (i doubt they would have overturned though )

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

i think the foul on cags is irrelevant. i believe that they are only checking the possible handball and nothing else. if a pen is awarded then they check for other stuff going on in and around - the whole thing is badly thought out and in this country especially, poorly implemented

Why would the foul be irrelevant? Surely if there's another situation in the box that would override the penalty decision it would be considered?  It's incredibly poorly implemented.

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

To give themselves some time to work out a plausible explanation so they can control the results in games. If everything regarding decisions was laid down in black and white i.e. if we knew that a handball would be given if a player has his arm in the air and it prevents the ball from hitting the head of a player attempting to head in for a goal thereby denying the possibility of a goal, then there wouldn't be any arguments or allegations of corruption, but as it stands a decision can be given with no come back. 

Which is why we need to have actual knowledge of what the hell goes on in Stockley Park rather than decisions being made. There are 0 repercussions to any official for poor decisions. David Coote made a potential awful decision missing a potential handball for Spurs goal vs West Ham, yet the next game week he's officiating Leicester vs Everton. 

51 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Why would the foul be irrelevant? Surely if there's another situation in the box that would override the penalty decision it would be considered?  It's incredibly poorly implemented.

Which is why we need to have actual knowledge of what the hell goes on in Stockley Park rather than decisions being made. There are 0 repercussions to any official for poor decisions. David Coote made a potential awful decision missing a potential handball for Spurs goal vs West Ham, yet the next game week he's officiating Leicester vs Everton. 

It's like the refs have sat down and decided that they no longer want to be abused for bad decisions, which is fair enough, so they've come up with a system that near enough takes all their responsibility away from the game, but still want to remain in charge. and the knock on effect is they can punish teams or players without any come back.  Sneaky fvckers!

40 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53261364

Gambling in football: Betting sponsorship on shirts should be banned - Lords report
By Alistair Magowan

BBC Sport

10 clubs in the Premier League are currently sponsored by gambling firms

Premier League clubs should not be allowed to have betting firms on their shirts, a House of Lords Select Committee report has recommended.

The cross-party committee, set up to look at the impact of the United Kingdom's gambling industry, also says such sponsors on Championship club shirts should be phased out by 2023, and that other sports should end shirt betting sponsorship in three years.

This season, half of Premier League clubs and 17 of 24 Championship clubs are sponsored by bookmakers.

The recommendations are part of a 192-page report warning more needs to be done to prevent gambling-related harm, with the Gambling Act 2005 currently under review by ministers.

Campaigners believe betting has been normalised within football and can lead to addiction.

The committee's recommendations also state: "There should be no gambling advertising in or near any sports grounds or sports venues, including sports programmes."

But the report says restrictions on shirt sponsorship and other advertising "should not take effect for clubs below the Premier League before 2023. A similar flexibility should be allowed in the case of other sports".

It added: "These restrictions should not apply to horseracing or greyhound racing."

The report said removing betting sponsorship entirely would "not unduly harm Premier League clubs but it would very probably have a serious effect on smaller clubs.

"We therefore think they should be given time, perhaps three years, to adapt to the new situation. They would not be allowed in that time to enter into new sponsorship contracts with gambling companies, but any existing contracts could continue until they terminate, and clubs would have time to seek alternative sources of sponsorship."

The English Football League (EFL) says the gambling sector contributes £40m a season to the league and its clubs and with the financial problems of the coronavirus pandemic, this "significant" contribution is "as important now as it has ever been".

It also says working to prevent gambling problems with the betting companies is of "greater benefit" than a ban.

In a response to the Lords' report, the EFL said in a statement: "The association between football and the gambling sector is long-standing and the League firmly believes a collaborative, evidence-based approach to preventing gambling harms that is also sympathetic to the economic needs of sport will be of much greater benefit than the blunt instrument of blanket bans."

The Lords report also mentioned how a 'whistle-to-whistle' ban on gambling advertising from five minutes before to five minutes after a match "is of very limited use when viewers, including children, can throughout the match see a plethora of gambling advertising on shirts and on the perimeter - and when they are in any case likely to be watching outside that whistle-to-whistle time".

Chair of the committee, Lord Grade said: "Most people who gamble, enjoy it safely.

"However, gambling related-harm has made the lives of two million people miserable. It leads to hundreds of people each year taking their own lives, leaving families and friends devastated."

James Grimes, a former gambler who runs charity The Big Step which is tackling football's relationship with gambling, said: "We welcome the recommendation to remove gambling sponsorship and advertising in the Premier League immediately.

"We've been calling on government and football to reduce gambling exposure to children, in order to prevent young people going through the same thing that I did.

"Gambling advertising in football is at saturation point and it's normalised harmful products and practices to young people. No child should be exposed to adult products as prevalently as it is with gambling in football.

"Premier League football has a responsibility to prevent gambling exposure to its young fans, which make up a quarter of its audience."

BBC Sport has also contacted the Premier League for comment.

Totally agree with this. Having worked in the gambling industry I've seen first hand how it's ruined people's lives. I know some will say people should have more willpower but it'd be a lot easier if it wasn't always shoved in your face

Had problems with gambling myself and its a really tough one to get out of

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

If Premier League managers were your step-dad. 

The Roy Hodgson one is spot on IMO. 

Not bad, but the Pearson one is so wrong. 

The geezers clearly only seen the ostrich rant. He’s a lovely bloke.  Wouldn’t sleep with his daughter unless you want a head butt though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Why would the foul be irrelevant? Surely if there's another situation in the box that would override the penalty decision it would be considered?  It's incredibly poorly

I’m probably wrong but I thought the only thing they look for when over ruling the ref to give a pen is a foul in the actual incident they’re reviewing or an offside which negates the whole play. 

the assumption is that any other incidents at the time are outside the scope of the review because they are not supposed to re referee everything and if the ref didn’t see any foul then that’s accepted 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Not bad, but the Pearson one is so wrong. 

The geezers clearly only seen the ostrich rant. He’s a lovely bloke.  Wouldn’t sleep with his daughter unless you want a head butt though 

Worth it.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m probably wrong but I thought the only thing they look for when over ruling the ref to give a pen is a foul in the actual incident they’re reviewing or an offside which negates the whole play. 

the assumption is that any other incidents at the time are outside the scope of the review because they are not supposed to re referee everything and if the ref didn’t see any foul then that’s accepted 

Ah does make sense, not re refereeing the game even though that's essentially what they end up doing in most cases 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Draw in the Sheff Utd Spurs game is probably ideal for us.

Personally don't think any of them are a threat to us anyway, even with our poor form.

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Personally don't think any of them are a threat to us anyway, even with our poor form.

They are farther back then what I thought... the race for CL places is between us, chelsea, wolves and Man U 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

49 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I want to agree with this so badly lol

9 & 10 points should be enough!