Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

15 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

So Arsenal have appealed the Nketiah red card. On what grounds I'm not sure but I'll be stunned if it's overturned 

It would be a disgrace if it did get overturned.

But, given the VAR debacle and some strange referee decisions, it actually wouldn't surprise me if it is to be.

Even though there was no intent, his boot made a heavy impact on the victim's leg and it was very fortunate it didn't get broken as a result.

With the talk of English RBs, I was trying to think through what an XI might look like if the Euros were now.

3-4-3:

Henderson,

Wan Bissaka, Gomez, Maguire

Trent, Henderson, Maddison, Chilwell

Foden, Kane, Sterling 

Subs: Pope, Saka, Rice, Ox, Grealish, Rashford, Sancho

Or 4-3-3

Henderson

Trent, Gomez, Maguire, Chilwell

Henderson, Ox, Grealish

Foden, Kane, Sterling

Subs: Pope, Wan-Bissaka, Saka, Rice, Maddison, Sancho, Rashford 

Forward 3 could easily change - I haven’t seen much of Sancho but he could be ahead of Foden, I’d prefer Rashford to Kane in some games, etc. Not sure if I’m missing anyone obvious but on the fringes you have Walker, Stones, Barkley, Winks, Mount, Ings, Abraham etc - I think it looks like a promising group, and hopefully no place for Dier, Dele Alli and co. Still think we’re short of a class holding midfielder.

23 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

It would be a disgrace if it did get overturned.

But, given the VAR debacle and some strange referee decisions, it actually wouldn't surprise me if it is to be.

Even though there was no intent, his boot made a heavy impact on the victim's leg and it was very fortunate it didn't get broken as a result.

Arsenal fans think Nketiah's the victim

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

With the talk of English RBs, I was trying to think through what an XI might look like if the Euros were now.

3-4-3:

Henderson,

Foden, Kane, Sterling 

Or 4-3-3

Henderson

Henderson, Ox, Grealish

Foden, Kane, Sterling

Forward 3 could easily change - I haven’t seen much of Sancho but he could be ahead of Foden, I’d prefer Rashford to Kane in some games, etc. Not sure if I’m missing anyone obvious but on the fringes you have Walker, Stones, Barkley, Winks, Mount, Ings, Abraham etc - I think it looks like a promising group, and hopefully no place for Dier, Dele Alli and co. Still think we’re short of a class holding midfielder.

Greenwood is surely on the verge of a call up too, we have an unbelievable array of dynamic forwards right now in Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood. Add in players like Saka, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Maddison, Barnes and a few others and we ought to have much cause for optimism. The manager isn't renown for dynamic and attacking football though. What we don't have is that elite DM to glue it all together.

• Like 3

Being able to appeal a decision that has already been looked at and overturned should not be allowed. 

Does that not just undermine any VAR official and Kavanagh himself? Something which PGMOL and FA are always reluctant to do unless it's extreme circumstances. This is not an extreme circumstance and there's a reason why it got 'upgraded' to a red. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Being able to appeal a decision that has already been looked at and overturned should not be allowed. 

Does that not just undermine any VAR official and Kavanagh himself? Something which PGMOL and FA are always reluctant to do unless it's extreme circumstances. This is not an extreme circumstance and there's a reason why it got 'upgraded' to a red. 

Exactly, they aren't going to spend several minutes and many, many angles analysing the tackle to upgrade the decision to a red, to then rescind it. Would make a laughing stock of the entire system, and there's no way on earth it deserves to be rescinded anyway. 

1 hour ago, theessexfox said:

3-4-3:

Henderson,

Foden, Kane, Sterling 

Or 4-3-3

Henderson

Henderson, Ox, Grealish

Foden, Kane, Sterling

Dont think Maddison is at the required level to start in any of the systems England might employ. I'd start with a Liverpool style 4-3-3.

Henderson

Alexander Arnold

Maguire

Gomez

Chilwell

Henderson

Winks

Foden

Sterling

Kane 

Sancho

Obvious weaknesses at centre half and lacking a true quality defensively minded midfielder also comfortable in possession. So gone for the most industrious midfield possible whilst also having players comfortable in possession to keep the ball moving. 

Saka would be a candidate to challenge Chilwell as i thought he looked good as a LB/LWB but it looks like Arsenal will employ him further up the pitch. 

Edited by martyn

My issue with 3-4-3 is that you're relying on your wingbacks so much more to be creative and beat players. they don't often have another winger near them to pass to so it can often mean having less attacking bite on the wings compared to 4-3-3 for example. 

Watford fans turning against Pearson.. who are they gonna get that’s better? He’s turned them around, not his fault their team’s full of absolute cloggers like Cathcart, Capoue etc 

38 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'd be amazed if they overturned it purely for this reason.

It's gone to VAR, they've said Kavanagh should have a look, and he has very decisively upgraded his yellow to a red. From memory it was also one of the few times the protocol has been followed as it was intended and I think it's quite blatantly a red if you go by the book. No way the FA will go back on it.

If I was Southgate I'd be looking to try Trent A-A in a midfield 3 just to see how he copes. We've got a talented group going forward but we need to find a way of having a solid base defensively. Back 3 could work but don't think we enough reliable defenders for that unless you play a full back as a centre back, might be a decent role for Wan-Bissaka to be fair.

Pope

Wan Bissaka

Gomez

Maguire

Chilwell

Alexander-Arnold

Henderson

Foden

Sancho

Kane

Sterling

Kane can get goals if he doesn't **** about in deep positions like he does when he plays for England for some reason. Anyway discussion for another time I guess.

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

Watford fans turning against Pearson.. who are they gonna get that’s better? He’s turned them around, not his fault their team’s full of absolute cloggers like Cathcart, Capoue etc 

Not sure I'd call Capoue a clogger.

Why are they turning on him?

Look where they were compared to where they are!

• Like 1

Arsenal can appeal all they want but the evidence is there for all to see that he stuck his boot in two and a half feet high into an opponent. I'm sure there was no malicious intent but the tackle was reckless.

It's all pretty much unambiguous what happened and certainly no grounds for an appeal.

• Like 1

I honestly hope that nkeitia's ban is extended for an extra game for wasting their time with a stupid appeal (can they still do that?) 

Would be harsh on the player, but serve arsenal right for all their self rightous bullshit and appealing in the first place. It would send a message to other clubs about spurious claims too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I honestly hope that nkeitia's ban is extended for an extra game for wasting their time with a stupid appeal (can they still do that?) 

Would be harsh on the player, but serve arsenal right for all their self rightous bullshit and appealing in the first place. It would send a message to other clubs about spurious claims too.

It can be extended by up to 100% if the FA wants, yeah. If it’s deemed to be an ‘appeal that had no chance of success’ or is ‘an abuse of process’ 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Greenwood is surely on the verge of a call up too, we have an unbelievable array of dynamic forwards right now in Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood. Add in players like Saka, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Maddison, Barnes and a few others and we ought to have much cause for optimism. The manager isn't renown for dynamic and attacking football though. What we don't have is that elite DM to glue it all together.

All we need is John Stones at CB and we could lose to the Faroe Islands. in truth compared to Johnny ,Maguire is Bobby Moore.

Edited by An Sionnach

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

All we need is John Stones at CB and we could lose to the Faroe Islands. in truth compared to Johnny ,Maguire is Bobby Moore.

The both played in an England team that got to the semis of the World Cup 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

It can be extended by up to 100% if the FA wants, yeah. If it’s deemed to be an ‘appeal that had no chance of success’ or is ‘an abuse of process’ 

He will end up having it extended I think,  although I hope he doesn’t, he had zero intent to hurt JJ, why they just can’t accept it was a bad tackle and one of those things and just move on I don’t know. 

Guessing it’s a bit over optimistic expecting anything from Villa this evening? 😂

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, Stadt said:

The both played in an England team that got to the semis of the World Cup 

Which illustrates why International football is crap.

5 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I have a slight feeling Rafael Van Der Vaart doesn’t like Harry maguire 

Van der Vaart said: ‘I think Maguire goes home every day and tells his wife: ‘I screw up, but I earn so much. They really believe I’m good.’ I really think so, he laughs at everyone.’

He can do something, but if he is worth so much money, Virgil van Dijk is worth £300million,’ Van der Vaart told Ziggo Sport. ‘If I am going to play with the amateurs on Sunday afternoon, I can easily find three who can do this. I mean that seriously. ‘A bit silly to say, but I really think so.’

‘It’s funny because during the Nations League, I was doing work for Dutch television.

‘And I remember we were saying Harry Maguire was by far the worst player on the pitch. ‘And then two months later, £80-£90m? Unbelievable.’

I think it's a bit sad the way we moan about players after they leave us. It's just simply blue-tinted revisionism that Maguire is somehow some sort of donkey now he plays somewhere else. If he hadn't have left, he'd have started pretty much every game this season alongside Evans. And I'm not sure we'd be any worse off for it. In fact we might have had a few more goals scored from set pieces too. No way Soyuncu would have displaced him. 

Yes Maguire has flaws and some mistakes in him, most players do, and certainly those of the calibre that play for a club like Leicester. 

Maguire's issue at Man Utd is that they've done their usual thing and signed a player that has a lot of 'media pedigree' and then put them into the team, asked them to perform a different role and been surprised when it hasn't always worked. Maguire needs an Evans type player alongside him to help him tow the line and cover his weaknesses. Man Utd's problem was they asked Maguire to be the Evans type

10 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I think it's a bit sad the way we moan about players after they leave us. It's just simply blue-tinted revisionism that Maguire is somehow some sort of donkey now he plays somewhere else. If he hadn't have left, he'd have started pretty much every game this season alongside Evans. And I'm not sure we'd be any worse off for it. In fact we might have had a few more goals scored from set pieces too. No way Soyuncu would have displaced him. 

Yes Maguire has flaws and some mistakes in him, most players do, and certainly those of the calibre that play for a club like Leicester. 

Maguire's issue at Man Utd is that they've done their usual thing and signed a player that has a lot of 'media pedigree' and then put them into the team, asked them to perform a different role and been surprised when it hasn't always worked. Maguire needs an Evans type player alongside him to help him tow the line and cover his weaknesses. Man Utd's problem was they asked Maguire to be the Evans type

For me, it is simply this. 

Others are saying it, so in that instance it is not us being revisionist, and as much as you may be right about what could have been, it doesn't matter and I couldn't be happier how it turned out. 

But now he's gone, I can enjoy the abuse he gets and laugh from a distance. No skin off my nose. 

Its not like he was a title winning legend, just a good player for us and we rinsed the market when we sold him, like the drinkwater sale. 

I know others are doing what you said but imo what came next proved he was nowhere near worth what we sold him for, and I am happy that I was wrong when I originally thought he was. 

Winner winner, dinner of chickens! 

• Like 1