Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

6 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

Irrespective of the Ref’s gender, what exactly makes an error ‘clear and obvious’?- not trying to be a d**k but just genuinely interested in broaching the question!

I think in the case of penalties, clear and obvious seems to imply that there is something objectively wrong with the referees call, something that VAR would either definitely or likely overturn. I think if almost no one thinks it’s a penalty, then that’s probably a good indication that it’s close to being objectively wrong with regards to the interpretation of the rules on penalties, and I would take it to be a potentially clear and obvious error concerning a game changing decision. Both me and my girlfriend were almost shocked that it didn’t go to VAR. Very unusual to not even get a prompt to check it, given that it really did not look like a pen.

I think it means that if on replay of the event, the officials go "Yeah they've got that wrong" then the decision is flagged for review. 

As far as I'm aware it was reviewed as didn't she make the VAR symbol? Think this whole thing just highlights errors in the system that need fixing before a high profile game is buggered.

3 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

It is amazing how TV cameras  have more views to show us lot on the sofa causing these debates, but the actual officials whose job it is to make sure the game is completely fairly and lawfully have limited views. 

VAR clearly isn't efficient in its current state. 

Fully agree.

The fact they have an additional view to the people making the actual decisions is bonkers

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Therefore you're saying the decision wasn't changed due to her gender? 

That's complete bullshit mate. They've shown us the angles and you can't clearly and obviously see there was no contact. The angle BT showed that VAR doesn't have, it does show that she was wrong.

But w/e the decision was wrong and it just shows the system needs a rework 

You clearly wish to pursue an agenda. I just want fair play and justice - which fortunately occurred in a rather apt and poetic way when Adrian saved Abraham's penalty.

And no, I don't support Liverpool. Perish the thought!

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

I think it means that if on replay of the event, the officials go "Yeah they've got that wrong" then the decision is flagged for review. 

As far as I'm aware it was reviewed as didn't she make the VAR symbol? Think this whole thing just highlights errors in the system that need fixing before a high profile game is buggered.

Yeah totally and how wrong does something have to be before it’s brought to the referee’s attention? There are of course grey areas and room for interpretation and I suppose some calls are “more wrong” than others when it comes to penalties. 

I know the rules aren’t set out like this at the moment, but if a ref has already blown for a penalty and it looks a little bit dubious then they might as well be prompted to take another look themselves at the replay. The game has already come to a halt and so there isn’t much lost just to make sure that they’ve made the right call. I just find it hard to imagine that no one watched that replay and questioned the decision at all, I guess they have to question it with more certainty but what does that really come down to? Needs to be cleared up.

Also, it is ridiculous if it’s true that they have access to fewer angles than the broadcasters - totally nonsensical. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

Perfect for us wasn’t it?

Chelsea played a full 120 mins and lost again. Brilliant preparation for our game at the weekend :)

They played 120 minutes against Frankfurt 3 days before playing us end of last season. They went on to outplay us at the King Power. Not to mention the Wolves game after their 6000 mile round trip either. 

Doubt fatigue will be a factor 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

Yeah totally and how wrong does something have to be before it’s brought to the referee’s attention? There are of course grey areas and room for interpretation and I suppose some calls are “more wrong” than others when it comes to penalties. 

I know the rules aren’t set out like this at the moment, but if a ref has already blown for a penalty and it looks a little bit dubious then they might as well be prompted to take another look themselves at the replay. The game has already come to a halt and so there isn’t much lost just to make sure that they’ve made the right call. I just find it hard to imagine that no one watched that replay and questioned the decision at all, I guess they have to question it with more certainty but what does that really come down to? Needs to be cleared up.

Also, it is ridiculous if it’s true that they have access to fewer angles than the broadcasters - totally nonsensical. 

A lot of grey areas need covering and sorting. You'd hope fairly soon these things will be sorted and addressed. 

Bit strange she didn't take a second look, but if she was told not to or that she was correct in her ear why would she?

31 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Is the one foot on the line ignored in European competitions? 

This suggests the penalty should've been retaken

Doubt it because the ref was telling the goalies about foot on the line at the start of the penos 

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Is the one foot on the line ignored in European competitions? 

This suggests the penalty should've been retaken

I could be wrong, but the one foot on the line isn’t going to be reviewed with VAR in the Prem is it? I’m sure I read that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I could be wrong, but the one foot on the line isn’t going to be reviewed with VAR in the Prem is it? I’m sure I read that. 

Apparently this is true

as far as last night is concerned, it just shows how important the rules are when it’s half past midnight and the high profile winning manager has rushed onto the pitch to celebrate with the goalie .....

the one foot rule has to be changed anyway - it prohibits standing behind the line ahead of the kick which is a bit mad and puts the taker in far too strong a position. A keeper should be restricted to that foot contact with the line at the moment of taking the kick but they should be allowed to have some forward movement to spring from by starting behind the line. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

Couple of things.

Can you imagine pulling the the final penalty back to be retaken whilst Klopp and the rest of the team charge down the pitch to celebrate?? Not even sure anyone would hear the ref trying to stop and get it retaken. Perhaps if that’s the first pen it might have been.

second, in the Prem this season it’s referees discretion about foot off the line, so their decision only. As bear said the Man City pen was retaken for different reasons.