Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Lampard becoming Chelsea manager is absolutely magic for us. 

Wonder if Danny will finally get a kick of the ball again too!

Think it will take Lampard a while to settle and will have mixed results. Add to that the potential turmoil at Man U if couple of results go against them early, as well as Arsenal being up and down.... Then there is every chance we could be amongst them if we can be consistent. Will be tough with such a young and attacking team, but there could be no better time to knock on the door of the top 6! 

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I actually think Chelsea will be alright next season and will finish top 4. I’d be much more worried as an Arsenal or Man Utd fan for next year. 

Kepa 

Azpi Rudiger Luiz Emerson

Kante 

RLC     Kovacic

Willian                   Pulisic

Abraham

looks incredibly average without Hazard. Man Utd and Arsenal have weak squads too but don’t have managers with only a season’s worth of experience where they underachieved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Who was the last English full-time manager of one of the 'top' 6?

If you recognise that current league position is always irrelevant until all games have been played then you must define a club as being "top X" by their position from the previous season. England "top four clubs" should really be the clubs that finished top four the season before, the clubs that qualified for the CL really. 

Ergo, as manager of the reigning champions then the answer is - Craig Shakespeare. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If you recognise that current league position is always irrelevant until all games have been played then you must define a club as being "top X" by their position from the previous season. England "top four clubs" should really be the clubs that finished top four the season before, the clubs that qualified for the CL really. 

Ergo, as manager of the reigning champions then the answer is - Craig Shakespeare. 

I don't disagree. I don't like using the media's term of "The top 6". 

I was curious though with Lampard's appointment and because my memory is sh*t, I was just wondering.

Edited by spacemunky

48 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Kepa 

Kante 

RLC     Kovacic

Abraham

looks incredibly average without Hazard. Man Utd and Arsenal have weak squads too but don’t have managers with only a season’s worth of experience where they underachieved.

Pulisic had an absolute banger v Jamaica last night in the Gold Cup.  Not Prem-quality competition, but one of the quickest national sides going.  It’s popular here to write him off, especially after a lost season at Dortmund, but give him a year in the league.  I think he'll prove more than a purely commercial investment.

57 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Kepa 

Kante 

RLC     Kovacic

Abraham

Is Abraham really their best striker now? They will struggle in the goals department if so. 

So curious to see if Drinkwater gets a sniff of first team action 

Emery is genuinely Arsenal's saving grace bar their front line. I don't actually think their squad is all that worse than United's. If they can sort out their heinous away form and keep hold of 

Aubameyang I actually think they'll be safe re the top 6.

How long Utd keep hold of OGS for will be what determines the top 6 imo. 

• Like 1

Saw this on the BBC this morning from rugby player Maro Intoje

Racism happens in football simply  because we are uneducated apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48860547

Rather typical generalisation maybe?

Sure many who haven't been to private schools and university  know that its not acceptable and there are some who have been to such places who are racist etc. 

Edited by Super_horns

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

On SSN just now 

Man City net spend under Pep £418.9m 

:jawdrop:

Biggest fee received Kelechi Iheanacho to Leicester for £25m

He may well be a 'great' manager but, like with Mourinho and Klopp for example, has obviously spent an awful lot.

How would he fare without most of that £ he had at his disposal?

It makes you think that people like Benitez are more 'professional' managers - who are willing to put their reputation on the line.

The latter was willing to drop down to the Championship and guide them up to near-mid-table finish which he achieved with them last season (at a club where the owner is reluctant to spend on new quality players) with mostly 'average' players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

He may well be a 'great' manager but, like with Mourinho and Klopp for example, has obviously spent an awful lot.

It makes you think that people like Benitez are more 'professional' managers - who are willing to put their reputation on the line.

The latter was willing to drop down to the Championship and guide them up to near-mid-table finish which he achieved with them last season (at a club where the owner is reluctant to spend on new quality players) with mostly 'average' players.

Would like to have seen Pep manage the Huddersfield team for a season - no transfers in or out 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Won the segunda easily with Barca B. I don't really understand the "wot if he had no money" argument, you wouldn't make Ayrton Senna try and win a grand prix in a Focus.

Benitez didn't do it for a laugh, his stock was low after an underwhelming spell at Napoli and a poor one at Madrid.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Looks like he’s getting his move to China 

https://www.skysports.com/share/11756926

West Ham are willing to accept a "terrible deal" for Marko Arnautovic, who has burnt bridges, and everyone "wants him out", club sources have told Sky Sports News.

Good riddance. Great player when he’s in the mood but his attitude is poisonous. Let him fade into obscurity in China, even if he is on crazy money

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Won the segunda easily with Barca B. I don't really understand the "wot if he had no money" argument, you wouldn't make Ayrton Senna try and win a grand prix in a Focus.

Benitez didn't do it for a laugh, his stock was low after an underwhelming spell at Napoli and a poor one at Madrid.

I think truely great managers can build teams and become successful. Ferguson at United built upon a great team from an average side, Wenger did it at Arsenal. These were decent sides but these managers took them to the next level.

I don’t doubt he’s a good manager, but the critics of Peps are that he’s not done anything you wouldn’t expect him to do. Winning the league with Bayern in Germany is a a forgone conclusion, whilst he initially struggled a bit when he moved to England, he then spent over half a billion quid to make sure he had the best players in the world in each position. 

Despite all of this outside Barcelona he still hasn’t won anything in Europe or anything you wouldn’t expect any other manager to achieve.

When we look at great managers it’s interesting to see how much is there immense ability and how much is spending.

So the argument is, and it’s purely hypocritical- with the same budget would Pep have kept Huddersfield up? Would he have been able to take Burnley into Europe? Could he win something with a team such as Newcastle?

9 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I think truely great managers can build teams and become successful. Ferguson at United built upon a great team from an average side, Wenger did it at Arsenal. These were decent sides but these managers took them to the next level.

I don’t doubt he’s a good manager, but the critics of Peps are that he’s not done anything you wouldn’t expect him to do. Winning the league with Bayern in Germany is a a forgone conclusion, whilst he initially struggled a bit when he moved to England, he then spent over half a billion quid to make sure he had the best players in the world in each position. 

Despite all of this outside Barcelona he still hasn’t won anything in Europe or anything you wouldn’t expect any other manager to achieve.

When we look at great managers it’s interesting to see how much is there immense ability and how much is spending.

So the argument is, and it’s purely hypocritical- with the same budget would Pep have kept Huddersfield up? Would he have been able to take Burnley into Europe? Could he win something with a team such as Newcastle?

No but no other manager in the world would. “not won anything you wouldn’t expect any other manager to achieve” oh aye just the first and second highest points totals in English football history, five trophies in three years including a treble. He probably should have won a Champions league at Man City by now but saying he’s a good manager but only as a result of spending is reductive.

Edited by Stadt

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Guardiola winning the Tercera Division with Barca B is a bit of an odd case and hardly speaks for his record operating with "no money".

We're talking Barcelona, after all. Being able to attract and develop some of the biggest talents in football you can imagine.

Guardiola had the following players at his disposal that season (among others):

Pedro

Iago Falque

Thiago

Jeffren

Jonathan Dos Santos

Busquets

Botia

Let's not forget that we're talking playing in Spain's fourth-highest league here, and that in a Catalonia group, in front of 2'000, 3'000 people at best.

I leave it to anyone to guess how good the standard of play is down there outside of FC Barcelona...

Edited by MC Prussian

3 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Good riddance. Great player when he’s in the mood but his attitude is poisonous. Let him fade into obscurity in China, even if he is on crazy money

Not that I’m bothered about West Ham losing an important player, but it’s a shame really. Last two years or so he’s been great to watch and since he’s moved from the wing to an out and out centre forward he’s looked a quality quality player 

18 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Phil Jagielka has gone back to Sheffy Nited.

Decent bit of experience added

Be even nicer for United if they could sign that other former centre back/captain.

Trying to think of his name....

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1