Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

15 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

He looks a lot more threatening then gray (before the Burnley game)and his link up play is impressive.

Had he 4 or 5 goals it would be decent but hes just been a tad unfortunate.

Hopefully he'll get a few goals soon.

Don't think you can say he's been a tad unfortunate.

He's young and will improve, but atm he couldnt hit a cow's arse with a banjo - and that was the same last season so equates to about a good 30 PL games now.

There's a point where you can't keep blaming it on luck and you've just got to say, he's just not a very good finisher - hopefully he can improve that as he gets older - but his current predicament in front of goal is solely down to him, it's gone way past being down to bad fortune now.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

There’s another level or two in him and when he finds it he’s going to be one hell of a player. I just hope he can do so soon as I’d currently be advocating for spending big on a winger in January as I think neither Barnes or Perez are delivering enough in those wide roles right now (although I thought Barnes was decent tonight).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stadt said:

If he was a bad finisher he wouldn't have scored the goals he did at West Brom, my personal opinion is that it's more psychological than it is technical, he clearly has the ability.

Agreed, he visibly panics when he sees that he’s in a shooting position and hesitates and looks for vardy before trying a shot from a harder position he was originally in

never ever wanted anyone to do anything as well in life as much as i do our harvey. just want him to score and to look happy and to fulfil his potential as the best player we have ever produced. 

Edited by ScouseFox
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

He's a very frustrating player atm.

He goes on these runs where you think he's going to be a star but they never seem amount to anything and he never seems to make anything of value happen.

Really needs to improve his shooting and final ball if he's going to push on.

I think his finishing can be better but let’s not forget much of the time he created those opportunities himself where they otherwise would not be there. He adds a good dimension to our attack because of this and frees up more space for Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans and the like to do other things because defenders need to worry about Barnes.

Also, a lot of his mazy runs ended up with good passes to Vardy and the like - just that often they are not put away? He had a few good incisive passes to Vardy yesterday right in front of goal and he could have also scored one if Vardy returned one.

Commentators were all praising him in the last few games too.

I agree though he needs to practise more his finishing. Maybe as you say he is overly frustrated at the moment leading to lack of composure in the moment. I hope he overcomes this with the help of Rodgers and his teammates.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Sorry to do this to you, but this is not the case. Man City are, and Liverpool have scored more too... 

OK, third highest scorers.  My point was that goals are not hard to come by at the moment and we should show patience with Barnes as a developing academy graduate, but you're right, I stand corrected.

I agree with pretty much everyone else but I do wonder up to what point is it detrimental, not helpful, to his confidence to keep pushing it? 

Maybe a couple games out can't hurt? I mean if you can't finish against Watford from several decent chances? 

It's clearly getting to him. He's getting increasingly quiet and his performances have started to slide compared to earlier in the season. 

Both him and Perez need to be looking over their shoulders. Albrighton is an established senior pro at the club and Nacho and Gray have both looked handy off the bench lately. Plus the window is about to open. 

I'm very much team Barnes but the next few weeks will be a real test off Rodgers leadership and Barnes desire to improve. 

We’re going to come unstuck if the wingers don’t start contributing to the goals tally.

Watford were dire, we should have put at least 3 or 4 past them. All it takes is 1 fluke and that ends 1-1 and we rue our snatched at chances.

I thought in the summer we desperately needed a proven winger, January will be interesting with the way our season is going, players will want to join if we come calling. 

• Like 1

Love Harvey and I am confident the goals will come in time and then he will be terrorizing defences for years to come (for us hopefully!). If only those Robben rumours had been true (!!!!) - I feel he could really do with a mentor, in the same way our defensive players have obviously benefited from working with Kolo. 

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

He adds a good dimension to our attack because of this and frees up more space for Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans and the like to do other things because defenders need to worry about Barnes.

This is why he’s a starter for us. His direct contributions might look lacklustre but during games he is highly effective because he injects pace at the top end of the pitch. His direct threat drags players around and makes space for those in behind him and as a result he’s actually a very creative influence for the team. 

Having said that, when Rodgers went so close to the title with Liverpool, whilst Suarez was unplayable, Sterling and Sturidge contributed with great efforts too. So those are the sort of standards I imagine Rodgers is setting for the wide forwards in the team. 

• Like 2

A very frustrating player, some very good, some very poor. Still think his general positioning is an issue and if gets a chance I have zero confidence he'll do anything but hit it as the keepers feet. But then his direct running causes issues and he ends up on the end of some very good chances, so he's getting in the right places enough.

At the moment I look at this team and it's clear we need a better wide option, just like it was clear last season we needed creative CM's and the year before a right back and a creative 10. It's obvious, but we already have so many "nearly" good enough players that it's hard to say lets get someone else, if you're the club. 

• Like 2