Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I suppose the issue is Albrighton and Gray both average about a goal every general election so that's the dilemma for Rodgers.

yeah, barnes offers so much good stuff up until the bit where he's meant to score. but replacing him with albrighton isn't exactly going to add goals to the team. or gray. or kelechi. 

having wingers who don't score has been our problem since we got promoted really, mahrez aside. at least the ones we play now don't seem to be affecting the team in a negative way. 

• Like 3

He averaged over three shots a game last season. He’s halved that now. And the few he attempts aren’t going in. Seems he’s nervous. He was banging them in with blissful oblivion everywhere else he’s been.

Guest An Sionnach
4 hours ago, L3n9a said:

We’re going to come unstuck if the wingers don’t start contributing to the goals tally.

Watford were dire, we should have put at least 3 or 4 past them. All it takes is 1 fluke and that ends 1-1 and we rue our snatched at chances.

I thought in the summer we desperately needed a proven winger, January will be interesting with the way our season is going, players will want to join if we come calling. 

Wingers who can score goals in the premiership cost 80 million and look at Pepe not firing yet.

You have to admire the way he keeps going. You could see the frustration on his face after the Mesina tackle on the goal line when he was just about to bundle it in. The second chance yesterday was the big one when he really should have used his left foot. He needs to get himself at the back post and across the 6 yard box when Ricardo is doing is magic on the other side.

Goals may not be there yet but still an important part of this starting 11 and I wouldn't think of dropping him at all.

• Like 2

Was named man of the match last night on TV, I thought he had a good game, he played a part in a lot of our better moves, he’s young, quick and bright and the goals will come, destroy his confidence completely if he were to be dropped, it’s similar to the stick Chilwell was getting on here not so long ago, we’re on a 7 game winning streak and Barnes has contributed greatly to it, he’s got a fantastic future with us let’s back our young stars. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I suppose the issue is Albrighton and Gray both average about a goal every general election so that's the dilemma for Rodgers.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that there's a General Election coming up soon...

So if Brendan plays them both, we should be quids in!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, murphy said:

I'm surprised by the faint praise in this thread.  I thought he was very good last night.  We need to forget about goals, we are the league's top scorers and HB has the most assists at the club so he is delivering.  We don't need to add to the pressure that he clearly feels to score. 

I love his barnstorming directness.  Let the kid develop.  People advocating spending on a replacement clearly can't spot a top player in the making.

Yeah. I watched on TV and the commentators said he was really good last night - so not just us biased fans.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Sampson said:

He's a very frustrating player atm.

He goes on these runs where you think he's going to be a star but they never seem amount to anything and he never seems to make anything of value happen.

Really needs to improve his shooting and final ball if he's going to push on.

This.

Those runs are mostly hit or miss but the end is always same - wasted chance.

if you watch Ricardo making a run,he does it so well.He is reall threat and you always expect something from his dribbling 

when it comes for Barnes,you know corner is most he can get

Edited by tsintskaro

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

A very frustrating player, some very good, some very poor. Still think his general positioning is an issue and if gets a chance I have zero confidence he'll do anything but hit it as the keepers feet. But then his direct running causes issues and he ends up on the end of some very good chances, so he's getting in the right places enough.

At the moment I look at this team and it's clear we need a better wide option, just like it was clear last season we needed creative CM's and the year before a right back and a creative 10. It's obvious, but we already have so many "nearly" good enough players that it's hard to say lets get someone else, if you're the club. 

I'd have to agree with you assessment, take last night, with better finishing he could have had a hat-trick! You'd also agrue that Perez should have done better with his couple of chances.

Another more complete wide player, would be one of the missing piece in the jigsaw. 

37 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I'd have to agree with you assessment, take last night, with better finishing he could have had a hat-trick! You'd also agrue that Perez should have done better with his couple of chances.

Another more complete wide player, would be one of the missing piece in the jigsaw. 

Absolutely, this isn't just a Barnes issue (the wide problems). I like some of what Perez offers, but I'm often left wondering if it's enough, just like I am Barnes. Especially when you look at the contribution other someone like Ricardo, he looks more of a winger from full back than either of our actual wingers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

A very frustrating player, some very good, some very poor. Still think his general positioning is an issue and if gets a chance I have zero confidence he'll do anything but hit it as the keepers feet. But then his direct running causes issues and he ends up on the end of some very good chances, so he's getting in the right places enough.

At the moment I look at this team and it's clear we need a better wide option, just like it was clear last season we needed creative CM's and the year before a right back and a creative 10. It's obvious, but we already have so many "nearly" good enough players that it's hard to say lets get someone else, if you're the club. 

I was thinking the same last night, very poor finishing 

I'd worry more if he wasn't getting chances but he is getting some good ones. His record elsewhere shows he can finish so he maybe just needs a bit more composure in those situations - that will only come with more minutes under his belt. I think the potential he has shown so far is more than enough to stick with him and see if he can get there.

• Like 2

MOTM last night and really contributed ...   if Perez had scored his sitters and JV had got his penalty and put it away we would be purring over the performance ...  I love how he runs at players and draws the opposition in, I'm sure goals will come very soon.

• Like 2

Vardy is carrying our attacking players atm. Barnes and Ayoze have some good link up play, they carry the ball well and they are technically efficient. But their goal return is a problem. Perez has 4 so he's done OK but I also expected more from Perez than I do Barnes as he is an experienced Premier League player. 

Overall  I would definitely look at another einger in January. 

How the defender cleared that one he was about to bundle in on the line is beyond me, totally sums up the situation he's currently in with struggling for goals. That said, Perez would have skied it from that for out anyway. Both need to step it up, confident they will as the rest of their game is good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

The finishing will come. Personally think he doing brilliantly, it’s his first season at this level and has been unplayable at times. Strong, fast and confident with the ball. He’ll get his share of goals for sure. Be patient. 

The finishing rarely comes from young wingers. But I don't mind that.. as long as he keeps looking dangerous he will play for England a dozen times at least.

Edited by dominicmsb
  • Like 1

I am in two minds.

Most of our chances are falling to him and he just cant shoot.

So you would think ok instruct him to pass instead of shoot, but then hurts his confidence and the passes may not work out.

So I will put faith in what Rodgers is guiding him.