Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Maguire's Replacement - If needed?

Maguire's Replacement  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Dunk
    • Tarkowski
    • Ake
    • Ajer (Celtic)
    • Kabasele (Watford)
    • Dakonam (Getafe)
    • Other
    • We don't need one.

Deserves it's own thread

Leicester have five potential replacements for Harry Maguire in mind – but are not interested in Lewis Dunk.

Maguire is expected to complete his world-record move to Manchester United by Monday, leaving Leicester with £85m to spend on his replacement.

It was previously thought that Brendan Rodgers might trust his existing options, with Wes Morgan, Jonny Evans, Caglar Soyuncu and Filip Benkovic bridging the gap between youth and experience.

But the Foxes plan to spend some of the Maguire windfall to bring in a player capable of filling the void instantly.

James Tarkowski leads the shortlist, with the Burnley centre-half valued at £40m.

Rob Dorsett of Sky Sports says that reported Manchester City target Nathan Ake is another possibility at the same price, with Dunk not being considered.

He adds that Leicester are ‘wary’ that Maguire’s departure ‘might inflate asking prices’, which makes the Daily Star’s exclusive that Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer could join a little more believable.

Rodgers deems the 22-year-old ‘a long-term successor’ to Maguire due to his size, and the player ‘favours a move to England over Italy’ despite interest from Milan.

Another cut-price option is Christian Kabasele of Watford, with The Sun linking the Belgian to the King Power Stadium.

But Spanish newspaper Marca believes Leicester are ‘determined’ to sign Djene Dakonam of Getafe. The 27-year-old has a release clause of around £32m, with ‘many Premier League sides enquiring’ as to his availability.

Current CB options: Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic and Morgan. I think we do need one more, though I think we could be smarter than going after a permanent replacement this summer - we'll only get ripped off because everyone knows we're loaded and looking for a replacement CB. Perhaps we should bring in a decent CB on loan like we did with Dragovic then seek a young CB next summer? Or promote a youth player?

If we buy a CB this window we will be held to ransom.

Look for a CB abroad if anything usually they all hold release clauses in there contracts.

Get JT from burnley when they get relegated next season

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't rush in. We've got enough cover to let the current defenders play and see how it goes.

If I was to go for someone then it'd be Jamaal Lascelles. I think he's the best English defender around.

I voted for Ake but I genuinely don't think we'll get anyone. Think Rodgers is happy with a mix of Morgan/Evans/Benkovic/Soyuncu for now. Re-assess in January if we really need someone. 

Can see Evans and Soyuncu being the main partnership with the others coming in if required (probably for Evans injuries!).

Still maintain we should try and focus on getting a winger before another CB.

• Like 1

It all comes down to how much Rodgers rates benkovic. Soyuncu has done ok so I'd be happy with him and Evans but if one of them gets injured its how much confidence he has to use benkovic as Morgan will be generally be 4th choice. If he's not convinced then he has to buy another. 

Would love ake but just can't see it

It's possibly a bit late in the window for miraculous deals but I'd happily take another Evans-esque older pro (not Cahill ffs, he'll make Morgan and Maguire look like Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell) on a bargain sub-10m deal to tide things over while Benkovic and Soyuncu learn. 

Spiffing fifty mil on someone clearly not worth it because people think we're desperate post-Maguire would really take the gloss off what's been a good window. 

• Like 2