Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

3 hours ago, murphy said:

Six months ago he must have wondered whether his move to Leicester had been the right decision.

Now he has nailed down his spot, sits second in he league, the crowd loves him, he is part of the country's meanest defence and is earning plaudits from all quarters.

I'm delighted for him.

Turkish delighted? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2019 at 05:09, car1os said:

We got £80 million for a CB and we’re better as a result. Cags is the mutts nuts!

In fairness, when Maguire was out last season (eg. when his wife had their first baby), our defence did look much better. Maguire was overhyped which is why a lot were happy to get the money but more importantly he leaks goals with his regular mistakes - you are always on edge of your seat when other teams counter attack us because Maguire could be out of position or was too slow.  We never look solid when he played whereas now you genuinely feel like we can keep a clean sheet every game.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Only just read this, and I love it!!

“Some people might think that’s a risky thing to do as a defender, but sometimes a moment comes when you have to do a Cruyff turn."

I dont know why he still has a reputation for being rash. He is anything but rash. He may do fancy stuff but he is very solid and has no hesitation in kicking the ball to Row Z if needed. He has the ability to be “rash” - but is very discipline about it. Maguire on the other hand did not get as much criticism but he was often guilty of being way out of position because of his “rash” forward runs, the occasional slip and the occasional lost of the ball, yet he never got a tag for being “rash”. Much rather Soyuncu.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I dont know why he still has a reputation for being rash. He is anything but rash. He may do fancy stuff but he is very solid and has no hesitation in kicking the ball to Row Z if needed. He has the ability to be “rash” - but is very discipline about it. Maguire on the other hand did not get as much criticism but he was often guilty of being way out of position because of his “rash” forward runs, the occasional slip and the occasional lost of the ball, yet he never got a tag for being “rash”. Much rather Soyuncu.

Not sure where you got the rash thing from. This was just a piece from an article with the quoted text accredited to Cag’s. Doesn’t imply rash too me, rather a sense of control and good decision making :dunno:

17 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

In fairness, when Maguire was out last season (eg. when his wife had their first baby), our defence did look much better. Maguire was overhyped which is why a lot were happy to get the money but more importantly he leaks goals with his regular mistakes - you are always on edge of your seat when other teams counter attack us because Maguire could be out of position or was too slow.  We never look solid when he played whereas now you genuinely feel like we can keep a clean sheet every game.

I was stood next to my mate at Huddersfield and he says "why aren't we playing this guy every week". It seems to me, in hindsight, that the deal for maguire was already in place last year but we needed to justify to man utd why he was such a good buy for them by playing him and also hiding Soyuncu from the limelight knowing he was going to be far better for us than maguire..

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure where you got the rash thing from. This was just a piece from an article with the quoted text accredited to Cag’s. Doesn’t imply rash too me, rather a sense of control and good decision making :dunno:

Sorry, you are right. I didn’t mean to specifically say that quote implied rashness but was just using that as a convenient post to “reply” to (because the quote’s reference to riskiness) to make a general point about his apparent reputation for being “rash”. 😁

• Like 1

I enjoyed Maguire’s rampaging forward runs although they have latterly felt a little theatrical and “ show pony”

Caglar is light years ahead on the ball . He was sensational eg, against Palace breaking up Their moves and getting us forward like a regular midfielder . One of the best defenders I’ve seen in a city shirt given the short time he’s been involved 

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I was stood next to my mate at Huddersfield and he says "why aren't we playing this guy every week". It seems to me, in hindsight, that the deal for maguire was already in place last year but we needed to justify to man utd why he was such a good buy for them by playing him and also hiding Soyuncu from the limelight knowing he was going to be far better for us than maguire..

Haha. Maybe. I like to think that too - but imagine you are Puel or Rodgers and having to work with Susan on this and wait while the team leaks goals ... I guess this is football management rather than just coaching and team selection.

8 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I enjoyed Maguire’s rampaging forward runs although they have latterly felt a little theatrical and “ show pony”

Caglar is light years ahead on the ball . He was sensational eg, against Palace breaking up Their moves and getting us forward like a regular midfielder . One of the best defenders I’ve seen in a city shirt given the short time he’s been involved 

It’s easy to get carried away but he is that good and he’s bloody great to watch. 

11 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Just needs to control his impulsion to jump in to get the ball and he will be amazing.

Far less likely to get beaten than standing a man up when the opposition are breaking. Maybe not as an individual but it nullifies the threat. No defender will win the ball every time but in general, even if he doesn’t win the ball and take possession, he’ll concede a throw in or at worst a freekick. If he gets anything on the ball, we have N’Didi and a surprisingly hardworking Maddison (not forgetting Evans and the fullbacks) to win the loose ball. 

If winning the ball is on, which it often is given his speed, strength and reading of the play, he has to challenge for it. Not only is it good defending, it’s essential in turning over possession quickly. It’s clear that we invite the pass into the strikers feet where Soyuncu can win it, and Evans anticipating any ball that makes it through. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, frany104 said:

I disagree. He always gets there first and gets his foot in. He times it so well. Those little pinched of possession are setting up counters when the oppo are exposed.

Yes! I would say that since the penalty he gave away at Old Trafford he hasn't jumped into any challenge in a dangerous areas that I can remember. He has picked up the odd booking but these have been challenges higher up the park.

As is the theme of the thread, Soyuncu has been playing like a complete all round defender and to me reminds me of Puyol at his peak, but maybe even a bit better. Puyol was fast and superb at reading the play, getting to the ball first to keep Barcelona on the front foot and this is Soyuncu's biggest strength. But I think Soyuncu is stronger on the ball than Puyol and a better tackler. It's only early days to be putting him in the same category as a player who has achieved as much as Puyol, but if Soyuncu plays at his current level consistently for the rest of his career, he will end up at a Champions league winning team, assuming that's not us!

The scary thing is he can get even better... Truly fabulous player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

putting everything else to one side, thats a very refreshing comment from an agent. Im sure this attitude is far more common amongst agents/representatives than it sometimes appears. Its not really news to say "hes happy" much more click bait to say" looking for a move"

Edited by Jacnah
  • Like 1