Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

d4cu76qgmm341.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Games with no goals conceded: 3~7

• Total goals conceded: 14~10

• Shots blocked: 8~10

• Interceptions: 16~24

• Tackles won: 13~28

• 1v1’s won: 8~21

• Clearance from dangerous zone: 86~87

Add that all up together and the comparison is staggering. There is a real argument to say Soyuncu has been the best CB in the league this season. The only blot on his copy book is the penalty he gave away against Man United which showed inexperience, but other than that I think we can all see how good he has been. To out perform VVD at age 24 is insane, and this is in the team that faces the least shots on goal of any team in the division, so it's not like the stats are skewed by being under the kosh for 90 minutes either.

Goddamn!

I am so glad you convinced me to give him a chance back in August. And I'm glad I did after watching him during the preseason games. 

We saw the class and knew he just needed to iron out the clumsy mistakes we all expected of him at first.

But to completely adapt after about 5-6 games this season, where we now no longer are afraid of any mistakes happening ever is unreal. 

Having the best defense in the league and statistically becoming the best defender in the league at the same time, 16 games in, is actually insane! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's Jon Rudkin we should thank! Not only did he flog Maguire for 80m but he held his nerve and did not pay over the odds to bring in Dunk or Tarkowski

I don't really think it was Rudkin's decision not to be buy a replacement for Maguire, 

If BR had wanted Dunk we would have had to try and get him.

7 hours ago, treer said:

I don't really think it was Rudkin's decision not to be buy a replacement for Maguire, 

We didn't need to buy a replacement because Soyuncu was already there, bought the season before. So it could have been Rudkin's decision not to spend more on a CB when we already have someone in place.

I don't think any fan really anticipated Soyuncu would be as good as he has been but perhaps some people (important ones at that) saw that be could be. 

Also, I'm guessing there's a lot of lazy journalism going on seeing that we were linked sign Dunk and Tarkowski one season so rehashed it in another window without any substance at all.

9 hours ago, Katy said:

Çağlar himself says it’s pronounced Charlar but without major emphasis on the ‘r’ so phonetically said like you’ve spelt it. We need to have words with the stadium announcer as he calls him Cag-lar as it’s spelt. 

Very confusing, I can see why people just call him Cags 🤷🏻‍♀️

Why don't we just call him Charlie

It seems to be the closest we'll get.  It sounds better too. 

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We didn't need to buy a replacement because Soyuncu was already there, bought the season before. So it could have been Rudkin's decision not to spend more on a CB when we already have someone in place.

I don't think any fan really anticipated Soyuncu would be as good as he has been but perhaps some people (important ones at that) saw that be could be. 

Also, I'm guessing there's a lot of lazy journalism going on seeing that we were linked sign Dunk and Tarkowski one season so rehashed it in another window without any substance at all.

I thought he'd be about as goodas any Maguire replacement on the market, but I was still expecting a fair few errors and brain farts. It's astonishing just how much he's improved over the summer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingsX said:

Caglar Soyuncu thread = 47 pages of how the hell do you pronounce his name.

OHL thread = 110 pages of how the hell do you figure out Belgian playoffs and playdowns.

Foxes Talk.  We grapple with the most vexing questions of our time.

thinker.JPG.30721d5206cb53a8f29f363748dcf7a0.JPG

Coming next week.....

"Was Kermo decent?"

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

There was a recent article with Jonny Evans where they said that when Rudkin went to meet him, they had his stats and performance grade for every game he had played in previous 4 years. This is how thorough our recruitment team is and clearly they know their stuff.

This aspect really stands out for me. Its one thing identifying a player as a great talent and wanting him to come to your club, but its another to sell the club to him. 

It must be brilliant for a player to walk in and see the club have done their homework on you. If you're looking to continue improving as a pro and you arrive to see the club had examined every performance for 4 years for a player who hasn't signed yet, it must really give a sense of how that club can help you improve as a player. 

Cracking stuff. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, treer said:

You are probably right, but the two do work together as a team on things like that. The rumour is that we made bids for all of Ake, Takowski, Dunk and Dakonam at Getafe after Maguire left (most likely even before he left), but the prices quoted for all of them were understandably very high. Thus the decision was to either go with what we have, accepting it as a risk, or to bite the bullet and reinvest. I think Soyuncu's performance against Atalanta convinced Rodgers he could start in the first team with Evans as otherwise he could have convinced Rudkin to get another player. Rodgers has said he works with Rudkin every day so I am sure they agreed on this.  

When Top appointed Rodgers, I am sure he was promised backing for sure so had he really wanted another CB we could have got them, but I think Rodgers wisely wanted to wait as that money could be used for other positions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

My turkish colleague reckons we are giving him a new 5 year contract. 

If this is correct, I am your new ITK overlord.

I’ve heard this as well. It would be very ‘us’ to get all our top players tied down long term. Maddison, Soyuncu, Chilwell and Ricardo for starters please Top.

13 hours ago, Katy said:

Çağlar himself says it’s pronounced Charlar but without major emphasis on the ‘r’ so phonetically said like you’ve spelt it. We need to have words with the stadium announcer as he calls him Cag-lar as it’s spelt. 

Very confusing, I can see why people just call him Cags 🤷🏻‍♀️

That's what I was looking for. A short and simple description. Thank You. :scarf:

19 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I’ve heard this as well. It would be very ‘us’ to get all our top players tied down long term. Maddison, Soyuncu, Chilwell and Ricardo for starters please Top.

His agent was quoted in an interview for a Turkish paper as saying he is very happy here, the club are happy with him and nobody is looking to go anywhere or words to that effect. I am hearing the word "happy" coming from the club a lot these days in interviews. This is what makes us what we are, team spirit, togetherness and knowing that you are part of something and being looked after is worth much more than an extra few quid a week. I just get the feeling that this is right the way through the club and there is a buzz around the place these days.

• Like 2

One of my favourite things to see in a match these days, a Soyuncu interception, dummy and tackle - right up there with a Ricardo dribble, Ndidi tackle, Tielemans through ball, Praet pass, Maddison free-kick, Vardy strike, last minute Nacho shot and Barnes superman sprint and dribble. Quite good, this team.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Not sure about how he’d feel about being Anglicised 😂 but he seems to have a good sense of humour so you never know. Charlie suits him though I reckon. 

5 hours ago, SO1 said:

That's what I was looking for. A short and simple description. Thank You. :scarf:

No worries 👍🏽

6 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This aspect really stands out for me. Its one thing identifying a player as a great talent and wanting him to come to your club, but its another to sell the club to him. 

It must be brilliant for a player to walk in and see the club have done their homework on you. If you're looking to continue improving as a pro and you arrive to see the club had examined every performance for 4 years for a player who hasn't signed yet, it must really give a sense of how that club can help you improve as a player. 

Cracking stuff. 

And make you feel wanted 

On 09/12/2019 at 12:12, Countryfox said:

Right lets call him Charlie ! ...   :)

9 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Does anyone round here read previous posts ...    :)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, gerrytaggart said:

OK. Imagine an extremely posh person with a short tongue saying "chill out" . 

Right, now that's sorted how do we pronounce his surname? 

Sir-un-ju apparently. 

Sorry, I’m sounding like a Cags fan girl here, I’m not although he’s a bloody legend. I watched an interview in Turkish a while ago where he said his name and it stuck with me. I’m also very interested in linguistics etc. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Let's not call him Charlie. It's not too difficult to say Chaalaa which in think some mentioned was the correct pronunciation.

It really bugs me when people have to take on an English name as no-one can be bothered to learn their name.

I agree. I think Cags as a nickname is a tad disrespectful though perhaps he doesn't mind. Chaalar is not difficult to say correctly.