Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

On 08/05/2023 at 20:21, Brooksy said:

Aside from the obvious, how has he regressed so much?

Some players go stale at the same club for so long especially when the club starts regressing as a whole and they have been a guaranteed starter with nobody chomping at their legs to take their place. I remember reading in Sir Alex Ferguson's book that even the summer after the treble he signed 3 new players just to stop that happening (keeping everyone hungry). Imagine having to drop 2-3 players from your starting 11 that have just won the treble. But who can argue with someone so successful?

Edited by desertfox2
SAF

1 minute ago, desertfox2 said:

Some players go stale at the same club for so long especially when the club starts regressing as a whole and they have been a guaranteed starter with nobody chomping at their legs to take their place. I remember reading in Sir Alex Ferguson's book that even the summer after the treble he signed 3 new players just to stop that happening. Imagine having to drop 2-3 players from your starting 11 that have just won the treble. But who can argue with someone so successful?

There's a difference between a player going stale and one that seemingly loses all of his ability to do even the basics right. 

When our current crop of dross still makes Ndidi more often than not look like the worst player on the pitch then you know something has gone badly wrong.

Just now, RoboFox said:

There's a difference between a player going stale and one that seemingly loses all of his ability to do even the basics right. 

When our current crop of dross still makes Ndidi more often than not look like the worst player on the pitch then you know something has gone badly wrong.

Maybe but as a defensive midfielder who was one of the best in Europe for tackles and interceptions to suddenly fall off a cliff at 26, (unless his age isn't right, which happens) it's all very strange. He seems to have lost his hunger, ability to tackle, pass, intercept, run, everything.  

40 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I hear people say this, that he's been ruined by being asked to do a different role, but that shouldn't mean he can't do the basics that he used to be so good at anymore. He was never a great passer, but he used to be a machine at winning the ball back. Now players go by him so easily and he just can't seem to tackle or intercept or read the game anymore. I don't think you can say he's been ruined by manager isntructions, ok it might mean he'd have to adapt his game, but it shouldn't mean he completely loses the ability to tackle a player.

Fulham's 4th or 5th goal (I forget which), the attacker just drags him to one side and Ndidi can't get there and tackle/block anymore. The Ndidi of 3 years ago just doesn't get done like that, regardless of where he currently is on the pitch.

Not saying he's anything like as good as Kante (although he did surpass even his tackling and winning back possession stats at one point) but I just think how terrible he looked when Sarri asked him to play a completely different role in the middle. Then as soon as he left he started looking exactly like he did for Leicester again. It can happen

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Older than he supposedly is? 

Can we please stop with this archaic racist nonsense. 

He was never a great creative, just a great tackler. Now he doesn’t have those great creatives around him, he’s regressed. Every other player in the squad has regressed. So please stop with this birth certificate BS. 

6 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He was never a great creative, just a great tackler. Now he doesn’t have those great creatives around him, he’s regressed. Every other player in the squad has regressed. So please stop with this birth certificate BS. 

Tbf, Ndidi has previously been kicked out of a U17 youth tournament for Nigeria after an MRI test found he was really older than he is, and we are still using his age as if he was available for that tournament.

I don't think you can say it's archaic or racist with Ndidi, if there was accusations against Iheanacho because he's Nigerian maybe, sure. But with Ndidi there's actual judgements against him from footballing authorities as being older than reported.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

He failed an MRI age scan on his wrist back in 2013, there's credible documentation in this case. I'd be with you if there weren't anything to back it up.

Wilf's demise can't have been helped by the constant injuries between 2020-22 either, constantly fighting for fitness to come back where he'd last a handful of games and pick up an injury again. Surgeries, rehab, tentative training... maybe he wants to avoid offer exerting himself for his own health compared to the telescopic legged machine of his prime.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

He failed an MRI age scan on his wrist back in 2013, there's credible documentation in this case. I'd be with you if there weren't anything to back it up.

Wilf's demise can't have been helped by the constant injuries between 2020-22 either, constantly fighting for fitness to come back where he'd last a handful of games and pick up an injury again. Surgeries, rehab, tentative training... maybe he wants to avoid offer exerting himself for his own health compared to the telescopic legged machine of his prime.

I actually didn’t know this so I apologise. These things are often thrown at us so it’s obviously triggering. 

• Like 3

His age might be iffy but it seems that hip injury from a few seasons back means he's lost all mobility. That's why he's close to tackling opposition players but just can't seem to reach there in time. These serious injuries over the past few years really have killed off a number of careers and our Premier League prospects 😢

• Like 1

He reminds me of Neil Lennon's final season for us after Taylor gave him a silly money contract. He was half a stone heavier, not tracking runners, just looking totally out of sorts in the midfield. He came out and discussed a few years afterwards and said "we didn't want new contracts, we'd done our bit for Leicester City and I knew Celtic wanted me".

When Rodgers had that rant about uncommitted players, he was one of the ones I was thinking of as needing to move on. Holding on to Tielemans was one thing but we could easily have let Ndidi go after the cup final. He wasn't at it that day and probably peaked in 2020/21.

he’s honestly been the worst player in the league for 2 years. Absolutely baffling how he still gets chances. 

I don’t like being on his case so much because he’s a lovely guy but another sign of our complacency was not getting rid of him in the summer 

wont fetch £19 for him now 

Edited by Lambert09

If we get relegated we will be perceived to be in a right mess as a club throughout, despite great facilities. We're certainly not the very attractive proposition that the wiley Rodgers gladly jumped ship from Celtic for. We'd be a club with half it's players gone, needing a total rebuild, with little outstanding talent left and no money to spend due to that being recouped from sales needed to keep the club afloat. I think we're going to struggle big time to attract what many on here seem to think what a decent known manager is. There's a lot of mention of Arne Slot for example for understandable reasons but, when he's likely to get offers from Premiership clubs with reasonable budgets, why would somebody like him choose to come to such a shambles?

• Like 1

As someone once said, if you’ll judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll always be seen as stupid. 

He’s a destroyer, pure and simple.

Play him as that and he’ll look like a world beater. 

It think it’s a combination of things with Wilf as well, the injuries have clearly taken a toll on him. 

He’s not a player that’s reviving the ball on the half turn, beating people, threading passes through defences etc.

The narrative of Rodgers asking Ndidi to play further up the pitch and ruining him is so wrong, it’s his lack of fitness/ability to run that has ruined him.

The only thing you could potentially leave at Rodgers’ door about Wilf is how he rushed him back from injury too soon?

Or that Rodgers ego about changing the physio/sport science element of the club has played a factor.

One thing is for sure, you’d be fool to not accept a low ball offer from a Turkish side to get Wilf off our books; it’s very sad to see but the clubs sentiment (James, Ricky P, JJ all offered BIG deals with very iffy injury records) is another big issue for me over recent years.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 1

On the age thing, I mentioned it a while ago about him failing the MRI scan at that U17 tournament. At the time I thought in all honesty, without proper documentation, I’d not even know how old I really was. 

I the went and did a bit of research and found it’s now generally accepted that MRI scans they are not that accurate. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dear-fifa-there-is-no-scientific-test-to-prevent-age-fraud/

2 hours ago, Sly said:

As someone once said, if you’ll judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll always be seen as stupid. 

He’s a destroyer, pure and simple.

Play him as that and he’ll look like a world beater. 

It think it’s a combination of things with Wilf as well, the injuries have clearly taken a toll on him. 

He’s not a player that’s reviving the ball on the half turn, beating people, threading passes through defences etc.

He doesn’t look like a world beater as a destroyer anymore though, that’s the point. 3 years ago, sure. But the guy can’t tackle, mark space and seems to lack physicality and aggression these days. He’s been played in the anchor role in the 4-3-3 in plenty of occasions the past 2 years or so and looked crap, certainly far from being a world beater.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I personally think we will see Wilf back to form this season given a change of position, new manager and the fact the standard is a level below. We all know what he can do question is 1) Can he have a standout season?, 2) Will he again be poor? Or 3) We will sell him this window.

Thoughts?

55 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

I personally think we will see Wilf back to form this season given a change of position, new manager and the fact the standard is a level below. We all know what he can do question is 1) Can he have a standout season?, 2) Will he again be poor? Or 3) We will sell him this window.

Thoughts?

With one year left on his contract he is very much for sale