Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

30 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

14th in the average passes per game for our squad, 14th in the key passes per game, 10th in tackles per game, 10th in interceptions per game, 1 goal in 20 apps this season, etc etc 

like i said you are all right in claiming he is "tidy" and "keeps things ticking over" but that very quickly becomes another way of saying he's not actually doing anything of note. 

when we get our proper midfield 3 of youri, wilf and maddison back fit and firing we will become a much better team for it, because they all have their roles and all have their main attributes and none of them are there just to "look steady". 

Stats like that dont mean alot..... like the average passes per game. Pointless stat, doesn't mean anything of note.

I've not once said he's better than Maddison and tielemans etc but, of late, he's been better than both and hasnt let us down at all.

I think he'll improve also when he's had more time with us

19 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

14th in the average passes per game for our squad, 14th in the key passes per game, 10th in tackles per game, 10th in interceptions per game, 1 goal in 20 apps this season, etc etc 

like i said you are all right in claiming he is "tidy" and "keeps things ticking over" but that very quickly becomes another way of saying he's not actually doing anything of note. 

when we get our proper midfield 3 of youri, wilf and maddison back fit and firing we will become a much better team for it, because they all have their roles and all have their main attributes and none of them are there just to "look steady". 

per 90 and minimum of 5 apps stats:

3rd for tackles 

7th for interceptions

7th for assists

9th for shots

His passes and key passes are weirdly low however.

It's his first season in England and he's constantly been in and out the side, his longest run of games have been when everybody has been toss and Ndidi's mostly been out. He's not outstanding at any particular area (although I think he's a better passer than what we've seen so far) but he's decent at most things, Tielemans and Maddison are superb going forwards but cost us occasionally by being overran because they're not very rounded players. I don't think he's the long term answer  but at the minute he's offering more than Tielemans or Maddison

I love a player like him that just keeps things ticking over without really doing much for show. Is a fantastic option in tougher games against the big sides and many away games if supported by some competent attacking players. 

Would like him to keep his place at the moment, Tielemans is a better player than Maddison and Praet's presence would mean he could play further forward with a bit more freedom. 

4 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I love a player like him that just keeps things ticking over without really doing much for show. Is a fantastic option in tougher games against the big sides and many away games if supported by some competent attacking players. 

Would like him to keep his place at the moment, Tielemans is a better player than Maddison and Praet's presence would mean he could play further forward with a bit more freedom. 

'Tielemans is a better player than Maddison' - joke of the century

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Praet falls into that classic Foxestalk mould of quietly doing a job without being so heavily involved, which makes him a scapegoat whenever he does get involved in either box and it doesn't go perfectly.

See Wellens, James, King after he was moved from AMF for reference. Difference is that Praet has a better pass than all of them put together in him, as best shown in that beautiful team move against Brentford. Which is why he's a regular for us now, and for the golden generation of Belgium's national side.

Honestly, this thread would not even be a talking point if he hadn't given away the penalty (harshly) against Man City, admit it.

Well said. Drinkwater in his first couple of seasons could be added to that too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MPH said:

well, he’s in our team and we are a top 4 club?

Let's wait till the end of the season.  Also the one swallow may have made our summer this year, I doubt very much any swallows returning for future seasons.

Even so, I doubt he would be regular starter for us and any club in our positiin

• Haha 2

Praet has impressed me recently. You need a player like him in s squad. You have flair players, that can't tackle. You have defending midfielders who can't pass consistently accurately. Praet does both well, but is not outstanding. What he is good at is close control and keeping the ball ticking over. He also makes good decisions on passes.

Don't forget, against Man City, he was the one keeping KDB quiet for most of he game. 

Personally, I've been impressed with him and there is definitely space for him alongside Maddison and Ndidi. He's performing better than tielemans at the moment. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

Saying ‘when Praet starts we lose’ is pretty idiotic. Correlation, not necessarily causation.

Really good footballer imo.

Other things our poor form correlate with:

Vardy's baby

Ndidi's injury

Coronavirus 

• Haha 2

Can play anywhere in midfield and Wilf, Hamza and him swapped positions at different times on Wednesday to allow BR to try different things....quality footballer lovely touch great eye for a pass and hard tackler for a slightly built man.......think he will start Monday based on last few appearances...

Posted this in another thread, but this explains Praet's role in our side:

Zone 3 has arguably the most important role to play in keeping possession. This player must be particularly good at keeping possession under pressure from opponents and will often see their passes also being played short for the duration of the game.

Leon Britton, Pirlo and Xavi are examples of players who act as the deep lying play makers, the water carriers, the short playing quarterback or the ‘volante de salida’ which simply translates in football terms as the outlet for under-pressure team mates.

“I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass.” (Xavier Hernandez 2011)

The above highlights Xavi’s hypnotic approach to the game in a simplified view. Key abilities are not to play the ball out of pressure but to play the ball within high pressure.

What Dennis Praet brings to the team is not specifically a killer through ball or pass (though he can play them), but it's to keep the team playing football. To be our metronome. And he's bloody good at it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Massively underrated by some. Keeping things ticking over means that we keep possession and the opposition chasing the ball. Assisting the assist-maker is also an underrated characteristic. I think he and Youri either side of a diamond could work with Ndidi at the base and Madders at the top. Then have Vardy and Perez up top.

He has a cool head when some of our players can be a bit rash. He can be a big player for us.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

What Dennis Praet brings to the team is not specifically a killer through ball or pass (though he can play them), but it's to keep the team playing football. To be our metronome. And he's bloody good at it!

He doesn’t play as a deep lying playmaker though he’s usually much more advanced, often further up than Maddison and Ndidi where it’s important to be able to play those type of balls. The only time he’s been deep lying was at home against Man City and for about 20 minutes on Wednesday.

He gives the Team the tact...

Also from all our players,when other players are Not quite on it...

His personality seems to fit...

"To Keep your head when all about you seems to be Losing theirs.."

No player in the Front 6 at the Level we WANT (Top 4)  to Play at gets you by,or wins alone you the game.

But IMO hes they guy who holds it together....win,draw or lose..!!

Hes One of the Type of Quality players we have been missing..

Edited by fuchsntf

43 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Posted this in another thread, but this explains Praet's role in our side:

Zone 3 has arguably the most important role to play in keeping possession. This player must be particularly good at keeping possession under pressure from opponents and will often see their passes also being played short for the duration of the game.

Leon Britton, Pirlo and Xavi are examples of players who act as the deep lying play makers, the water carriers, the short playing quarterback or the ‘volante de salida’ which simply translates in football terms as the outlet for under-pressure team mates.

“I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass.” (Xavier Hernandez 2011)

The above highlights Xavi’s hypnotic approach to the game in a simplified view. Key abilities are not to play the ball out of pressure but to play the ball within high pressure.

As if Xavi even knew who Leon Britton was lol 

Leon Britton played spectacularly safe square and backward balls, Xavi didn't play a 6 very often and actually passed forwards. That Swansea side were good but so overrated because they were different

• Haha 1

Rodgers philosophy is clearly, play with the ball and the opposition can’t score. Take our chances and we’ll win against the better teams, put the weaker opposition to the sword. 

The latter hasn’t been happening recently, but should we get CL next season, we really will need to look after the ball when we have it. 

Praet will really come into his own in games like that. 

42 minutes ago, Mark said:

He doesn’t play as a deep lying playmaker though he’s usually much more advanced, often further up than Maddison and Ndidi where it’s important to be able to play those type of balls. The only time he’s been deep lying was at home against Man City and for about 20 minutes on Wednesday.

11 minutes ago, Stadt said:

As if Xavi even knew who Leon Britton was lol 

Leon Britton played spectacularly safe square and backward balls, Xavi didn't play a 6 very often and actually passed forwards. That Swansea side were good but so overrated because they were different

Yep that be fair to both of you, his role is more varied with us. But the main point I’m trying to make is that it’s ability to keep possession and keep the ball moving that makes him both a good player and why Rodgers likes him. It’s also why I feel some people don’t see what he brings that the team, even though he brings a lot!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep that be fair to both of you, his role is more varied with us. But the main point I’m trying to make is that it’s ability to keep possession and keep the ball moving that makes him both a good player and why Rodgers likes him. It’s also why I feel some people don’t see what he brings that the team, even though he brings a lot!

I don't anyone has more consistently boosted Praet than me.  And frankly, I don't think Rodgers likes him as much as he should, based on the evidence.  He's not a guy who should be shuttling in and out based on the opponent and the formation - he should be one of the first names on the team sheet irrespective.

• Like 2