Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dormelcfc

Mahrez 'lost two years at Leicester'

9 hours ago, brucey said:

Here’s a separate translation from GFFN, if anyone cares.

Riyad Mahrez: “I nearly joined Arsenal in the summer of 2016.”

Speaking in an interview with France Football, Algerian international and Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez discussed how he nearly joined Arsenal, being in contention for the Ballon D’Or, Leicester City blocking his exit and a lack of playing time under Pep Guardiola last season.

On the Ballon D’Or:

It is nice (to be nominated), it proves that I am in the process of coming back, little by little. Over the last two years, they (Sadio Mané & Mo Salah) have stolen a march on me, because I was still at Leicester. We did not have the team to play for the top positions like they did. Last season, when I didn’t play a lot, I was convinced that I was going to have a strong AFCON. I know myself, when I play matches consistently, I can score a lot of goals, provide assists and have everything at its best. In Egypt, I got my revenge. Before the competition, I would not stop repeating this to my friends.

Did this lack of matches make you feel fragile?

At the end of the season, I spent several matches on the bench. Mentally, it was very difficult to live with. But in training I put everything into it because I still had this aim with Algeria. I said to myself: ‘Go for it, at one moment Pep (Guardiola) will need you.’

After winning the Premier League Player of the Year in 2016, a lot of people said that you were a one-season wonder:

That made me laugh. My career had just begun. I had only had one year in the Premier League and then I have a crazy year. How could you say that I had the season of my life when I was just making my beginnings at the highest level. Aside from that, people judge harshly. I had a good Champions’ League campaign, going until the quarter-finals. I was not brilliant, but we should not lie either, we didn’t have the team to set the world alight.

Where did the frustration come from about being in this team?

After the year of the title, had I left for a top team, it would not have been the same story. For me, it is clear that I have lost two years at the highest level. I lost two years! Because instead of arriving at City at the age of 27, I would have maybe been 24 or 25.

Why didn’t you leave?

Leicester blocked me. They said to me: ‘You shall not leave! You shall not leave!’ My agent had spoken with Wenger who really wanted me, it was nearly done with Arsenal in the summer of 2016.

What were your experiences of the two years at Leicester after winning the title?

I was truly frustrated. It is not easy to go from being the best player in the Premier League to being a part of a team that is fighting to stave off relegation. It is not the same job. Everyone is waiting to criticise you, everyone jumps on your back. It was not at all the same team. N’Golo Kanté left for Chelsea. We were involved in the Champions’ League, playing every three days, we were not prepared for that.

In the context, that isn't that bad. He could have been a bit more diplomatic but we know he is a mardy little trump.

• Like 2

He's never been the sharpest tool in the shed has he? Man City were not interested in him in 2016 and Arsenal have not been a 'top' team for a long time now. A bit more critical thinking and he would have realised that. Unless he believes he was the missing piece to put Arsenal back on top which is borderline delusional.

I don't think this is maliciously aimed at Leicester. I think he's trying to get his excuses in early for not becoming a regular starter for Man City and this seems convenient. That and he rarely does not think before he speaks.

• Like 1

Ah, is the grass always greener. I think not. Mahrez has a fantastic talent and on his day can turn defences inside out. The nature of the game/business has changed beyond all recognition with some players accepting their fate in chasing the money after all their still paid the big bucks. Drinkwater is a classic example and has probably beeen made for not kicking a ball than playing!! As for Mahrez, no doubt, he will move on at some point simply because he wants/needs to play rather than be stuck on the bench.

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Divert attention from what? 

I don't want to derail this further by getting specific. You're not obliged to agree with my opinion, but newspapers like to lead thinking, then claim to represent the views of the ordinary man.

Nobody likes to admit that they have their views influenced, because we all believe we're impervious to it, thus people deny it might happen. It's the reason I avoid most media, as I'm just like everyone else in nearly all respects. 

4 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Brilliant footballer but we reinvested the money in perreira, maddison and evans, the dressing room is no longer unsettled by the drama of him wanting to leave whilst he sits on the bench at man city.

The side we have now play wonderful football and our tactics are no longer 'pass it to Mahrez and see what je does'.....It's not worked out too badly has it.

Yes totally agree, I don't think any sane Fox would have rather kept Mahrez than those 3.

Frankly, I wouldn't swap him back for any member of our first 11 - individually you could say swap him for Perez, or Barnes, or Gray - but we are more than the sum of our parts now and work as a team whereas Riyad plays for himself and does not fit well in a team system. Fook it, wouldn't swap him for anyone we have now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't want to derail this further by getting specific. You're not obliged to agree with my opinion, but newspapers like to lead thinking, then claim to represent the views of the ordinary man.

Nobody likes to admit that they have their views influenced, because we all believe we're impervious to it, thus people deny it might happen. It's the reason I avoid most media, as I'm just like everyone else in nearly all respects. 

Each newspaper in the UK certainly has a political viewpoint, but that's very different from deliberately 'diverting attention' (whatever that means). I understand why people are cynical about the media, but all-encompassing cynicism is ultimately just as foolish and lazy and all-encompassing credulity. People who are uncritically dismissive of the entire media usually just can't be bothered to do any actual thinking. It saves putting in any effort, but it doesn't really get you anywhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Each newspaper in the UK certainly has a political viewpoint, but that's very different from deliberately 'diverting attention' (whatever that means). I understand why people are cynical about the media, but all-encompassing cynicism is ultimately just as foolish and lazy and all-encompassing credulity. People who are uncritically dismissive of the entire media usually just can't be bothered to do any actual thinking. It saves putting in any effort, but it doesn't really get you anywhere.

I admit to scepticism, but the implication that I don't think is uncalled for, given I attacked nobody, and if you've read my input here, you'd know I think plenty. Anyway, I've no desire to go on with this, I have no beef with you, so I request we leave it there. 

• Like 1

Can see how his comments have triggered folk, but do we genuinely care, he gave us some cracking memories and performances, and had he stayed would have been remembered as a legend the same way vardy Is going to be when his time with us comes to an end, all I see with mahrez now is a very talented player who is struggling to make his way into a team, who let's face it, never ever needed him, come the end of the season he will be in the same situation and more then likely get loaned out or sold abroad, at times last season we missed his bit of world class play that would get us a goal but we are in such a better position now with the TEAM we have, sorry it's not worked out for you Riyad, as some have said it shows the grass isn't always greener 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Yes totally agree, I don't think any sane Fox would have rather kept Mahrez than those 3.

Frankly, I wouldn't swap him back for any member of our first 11 - individually you could say swap him for Perez, or Barnes, or Gray - but we are more than the sum of our parts now and work as a team whereas Riyad plays for himself and does not fit well in a team system. Fook it, wouldn't swap him for anyone we have now.

This. 

Let him rot on the bench with splinters up his arse. 

• Like 1

It’s the timing that’s a bit off. Like seriously, you’ve been gone for 18 months or so. Let it be. Players are asked all sorts of questions in interviews. I mean Kante was asked a similar question in which he responded very differently - and he had even less loyalty to us. 

Commenting on it at this stage makes it look like he is looking for a scapegoat for not being one of Man City’s key men. It’s just uncalled for and lacks professionalism.

We had great memories with Riyad and I loved watching him play here. He got me out my seat. Do we miss him now ? I don’t think we do because Madders/Tielemans have the same effect of pulling something out the bag. Does that be-little his achievements here - of course not. Live and let live. Life throws you all sorts of curve balls. It’s how you deal with them that makes the person.

2 hours ago, Dames said:

He's never been the sharpest tool in the shed has he? Man City were not interested in him in 2016 and Arsenal have not been a 'top' team for a long time now. A bit more critical thinking and he would have realised that. Unless he believes he was the missing piece to put Arsenal back on top which is borderline delusional.

I don't think this is maliciously aimed at Leicester. I think he's trying to get his excuses in early for not becoming a regular starter for Man City and this seems convenient. That and he rarely does not think before he speaks.

I’m confused - does this mean he usually thinks before he speaks ? 

It’s funny how little affection I have for Mahrez and even players like Kanté. When they are at the club I think if them like family, when they leave I couldn’t care less. Apart from secretly hoping they regret leaving. 

When he was a Leicester player I thought Mahrez was better than Mane. How wrong that has been proved. Like it or not Mahrez you will never have a better year when you won the PL with LCFC and was named POTY. 

• Like 1

Lot of bitterness on here. Football fans are a fickle lot aren't we?  It never ceases to surprise me how quickly we can turn someone from hero to zero.

I am not defending Mahrez, I think what he has said, if accurate, is the words of a petulant child who seems to have an over inflated opinion of himself and is somewhat unhappy with his current lot in life but is looking to put the blame anywhere but at his own doorstep. Truly a gifted player but he could never be accused of being a grafter, and as such will never fit in with Peps style.

He was definitely up there with some of the best players ever to wear the city shirt, and I have no beef with players who, having done their bit for the cause, genuinely believe that their future lies elsewhere be that for money, trophies or simply a new challenge. Sometimes they even leave for the good of the club (Muzzy during administration, Lineker only went when the deal was right for both himself and the club) with others like Shinji and Danny S, their time here has come to a natural end.  However, what does rankle with me, and I think a lot others judging by the comments here, is when those players act in an unprofessional way and then slag of their former employers. Again, sometimes there are personality clashes, disputes etc but as far as I know, the club never treated him with anything but respect, even welcoming him back into the fold after his tantrum in January when they could easily have left to rot.

If it was such a done deal that he was signing for Arsenal, then why did they not make an official bid at the time, did we send round the heavies and warn them off? I think not, they obviously decided that they did not see him as fitting in, value for money or simply had other priorities at the time.  He should take a long hard look at himself, and possibly his representatives, and ask why when he had made it perfectly clear that he wanted a move the following year, the only concrete interest was a joke bid from Roma. If his agent acts in the same way as he does then I am not surprised that nobody wanted to do business. This latest outburst is not likely to endear him to any future potential employers either as all it does is re-affirm what a lot of people already think about his attitude and application. We did not "block" his move we were simply seeking what we believed was a proper price for one of our contracted assets, as we have every right to do. the fact that nobody actually entered into serious negotiations should have told him something.  Did he think that we should let him walk out the door for nothing after he signed a very lucrative contract only 12 months before?

He probably expects us to sing his name when he returns to the KP with MCFC but I think he will be sorely disappointed as the only song he is likely to hear is the one that goes "Leicester reject".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Lot of bitterness on here. Football fans are a fickle lot aren't we?  It never ceases to surprise me how quickly we can turn someone from hero to zero.

I am not defending Mahrez, I think what he has said, if accurate, is the words of a petulant child who seems to have an over inflated opinion of himself and is somewhat unhappy with his current lot in life but is looking to put the blame anywhere but at his own doorstep. Truly a gifted player but he could never be accused of being a grafter, and as such will never fit in with Peps style.

He was definitely up there with some of the best players ever to wear the city shirt, and I have no beef with players who, having done their bit for the cause, genuinely believe that their future lies elsewhere be that for money, trophies or simply a new challenge. Sometimes they even leave for the good of the club (Muzzy during administration, Lineker only went when the deal was right for both himself and the club) with others like Shinji and Danny S, their time here has come to a natural end.  However, what does rankle with me, and I think a lot others judging by the comments here, is when those players act in an unprofessional way and then slag of their former employers. Again, sometimes there are personality clashes, disputes etc but as far as I know, the club never treated him with anything but respect, even welcoming him back into the fold after his tantrum in January when they could easily have left to rot.

If it was such a done deal that he was signing for Arsenal, then why did they not make an official bid at the time, did we send round the heavies and warn them off? I think not, they obviously decided that they did not see him as fitting in, value for money or simply had other priorities at the time.  He should take a long hard look at himself, and possibly his representatives, and ask why when he had made it perfectly clear that he wanted a move the following year, the only concrete interest was a joke bid from Roma. If his agent acts in the same way as he does then I am not surprised that nobody wanted to do business. This latest outburst is not likely to endear him to any future potential employers either as all it does is re-affirm what a lot of people already think about his attitude and application. We did not "block" his move we were simply seeking what we believed was a proper price for one of our contracted assets, as we have every right to do. the fact that nobody actually entered into serious negotiations should have told him something.  Did he think that we should let him walk out the door for nothing after he signed a very lucrative contract only 12 months before?

He probably expects us to sing his name when he returns to the KP with MCFC but I think he will be sorely disappointed as the only song he is likely to hear is the one that goes "Leicester reject".

He wont play when they come to the KP. We are now one of the bigger clubs in the division, they'll have their first team out.:scarf::punk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Give your head a wobble mate ,skill is one thing being a total dick is another. He wanted out our great club maxed what they got. Disruptive petulant and more importantly the worst kind of role model for young Leicester fans. My view is good riddance you have made your whingy  French bed now lie in it 

• Thanks 1