Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

WE WON A QUARTER FINAL! Everton 2-2p Leicester

29 minutes ago, CityIsBlue said:

We're very close to being an excellent side. It's just that final piece of quality out wide which is the issue.

Albrighton to this side is what Nugent was after promotion, lacking in quality. He's not got the technical quality to be of use in this side which was evident again last night with the amount of times he gives the ball away. The amount of times he cuts back and crosses from 40 yards when it is not on is infuriating, his crossing isn't even that good, he just puts in so many that eventually you will put in some with quality. He's fortunate in a sense that Gray still looks so anonymous in games that Albrighton's sheer work rate gets him a look in at times. Barnes is obviously still not the final product, but he offers a far more consistent threat than Gray and has a work rate similar to Albrighton's.

That's the area we need improvement though. I think you would see an improvement out of Perez too, who could potentially link up more centrally, if we had more threat out wide. 

Praet was a huge plus for me. He gave the ball away a few times, but he didnt shy away from getting on it again and looked a yard quicker than he has done previous. I thought he actually looked very capable of being the box to box player we dont really have in the middle of the park.

I thought we played a lot better than the home game against them, and only looked like conceding as we missed more and more openings. 

I dont think Rodgers subs were the wrong ones, but the Gray sub was the one which highlights the weakness we have out wide. It's worrying that 35 year old Baines was a greater threat going forward at the end of the game than a fresh Gray was, just about subs him up for us, he's just not good enough. People criticize Perez, but even in a position he isnt suited to, he has more positional awareness to be actually able to get on the ball.....He actually puts a foot in too. Gray needs to go out on, a final chance to see if regular game time for 6 months can show us something we havent seen.

Positive performance for me. Made more difficult by mainly fringe players showing they lack the quality we need to continue to progress with us, unable to contribute when the better players had put them 2-0 up. Big shout to Wes actually. Thought he was 'anonymously great', completely assured, actually looked like an 'Old head' back there, and I mean that positively. Didnt have that frantic/rushed look that he used to have. Great on the ball too. Again, another example of Rodgers giving a player confidence. Miles better than Mina/Keane.

Good points - especially about Wes. Absolutely immense and totally reliable.

The bloke's a machine.

Take the point about Marc as well - though it was great to see four of our title winners playing together last night.

Up the City!

Agreed about Wes last night.  He still scares the crap out of me when he tries to play it out from the back but he seemed to settle into it.

First hour we were really composed 2-0 up and cruising, a couple of good chances spurned after the break - Dennis 1 on 1 with the keeper and a 2v1 overlap where Madders (I think) turned back inside.

After an hour they seemed to increase their intensity and we started mis-placing passes under pressure.  This is probably the key to taking the next step, top teams like Man City last year can do this but we seemed to start to panic.  The goal lifted them further, the crowd suddenly became very loud, Cags missed a couple of clearing passes and even Evans resorted to poorly aimed hoofs that just gave them the ball back.

The composure came back for the pens (except Madders who seems to miss more often than he scores), Chilly looked confident, Ricky is so cool it defies belief and it was great to see Demi put his hand up even though he hasn’t had many minutes recently.  Vards was just never missing under those circumstances, the man is a machine.  Big shout to Kasper, the mind-games of standing in front of the penalty taker and walking slowly backwards must make him look huge.

Funny moment of the night was at half-time one of their fans asking to borrow my scarf so his mate could take a photo with a Premier League winners one.

Scary moment was walking back to the Air BnB which was only 200 yards away though a large crowd of very pissed off scousers.

• Like 2

Whilst the last 10 minutes were nervy and it was all bit a frantic and last ditch, but I don't think Everton created too much and we managed to get a head or a clearance on most things. Then Baines pings one in the top corner, yes he could have been closed down but more often than not it goes over the bar. We're also going to be put under pressure when your a goal up away from home. Subs weren't ideal, and Rodgers idea seems to be to protect the keeper by having the extra centre back rather than putting the extra man in midfield and protecting the back line.

Overall the best team won, Everton showed us far too much respect in the first half and we were able to just be patient and wait for our moments to come. We could have put the game to bed, really wish that Albrighton effort had gone in. We shown great composure to regroup and win the shootout, Gray has been accused of lacking bottle at times but fair play to him for putting his hand up for the 4th pen and scoring. Don't trust Maddison at all but he will always take on.

• Like 2

Although Rodgers does seem to get his substitutions and tactics spot on in closing matches out, I do feel we go very defensive and its bound to catch us out at times. 

We invited that equaliser by being to flat across the back 5 and then having Choudhury come on and offer very little tenacity, which was unusual for him. We've two very difficult games coming up where we will have to be tactically on the money but getting out of jail last night is hopefully a shot in the arm for us and maintaining our unbeaten run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Considering I slate refs every other game I think it deserves a mention, Jon Moss had a good game reffing yesterday. I don't worry nearly as much anymore when I see him appointed on our games...

He is one of the few good ones now, its so weird. Pawson and Kavanagh on the other hand.... :nigel:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CUJimmy said:

Agreed about Wes last night.  He still scares the crap out of me when he tries to play it out from the back but he seemed to settle into it.

First hour we were really composed 2-0 up and cruising, a couple of good chances spurned after the break - Dennis 1 on 1 with the keeper and a 2v1 overlap where Madders (I think) turned back inside.

After an hour they seemed to increase their intensity and we started mis-placing passes under pressure.  This is probably the key to taking the next step, top teams like Man City last year can do this but we seemed to start to panic.  The goal lifted them further, the crowd suddenly became very loud, Cags missed a couple of clearing passes and even Evans resorted to poorly aimed hoofs that just gave them the ball back.

The composure came back for the pens (except Madders who seems to miss more often than he scores), Chilly looked confident, Ricky is so cool it defies belief and it was great to see Demi put his hand up even though he hasn’t had many minutes recently.  Vards was just never missing under those circumstances, the man is a machine.  Big shout to Kasper, the mind-games of standing in front of the penalty taker and walking slowly backwards must make him look huge.

Funny moment of the night was at half-time one of their fans asking to borrow my scarf so his mate could take a photo with a Premier League winners one.

Scary moment was walking back to the Air BnB which was only 200 yards away though a large crowd of very pissed off scousers.

Yep, nailed it. Thats how I saw the game too. Must give credit to Everton for their fight and energy in the 2nd half as well; still it took them 2 extraordinary finishes to get level.

At two - nil up at half time we should have buried them but like us we allowed them back into the game!. having them score in the last minute you would have thought they would of had the momentum going into the penalty shoot out so it was great to see Kasper make some saves. their fans celebrating baines goal and then losing the penalty shoot out ( the highs and lows of being a football fan) and great that we missed the two manchester clubs and got Villa in the semis.

3 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

Yep, nailed it. Thats how I saw the game too. Must give credit to Everton for their fight and energy in the 2nd half as well; still it took them 2 extraordinary finishes to get level.

They had far easier chances throughout (Mina and Calvert-Lewin headers and Evans back pass spring to mind). A draw was just about fair overall. 

12 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Our record on 2 legged games isn't great. Hoping we don't have another "Deeney Day" incoming Wesley scoring a hat trick

It's not bad. Won our last 3 semi finals in the league cup haven't we? They're about as relevant as championship play offs 5-10 years ago.

Bit of a rollercoaster, played really well to go 2-0 up & in control, Maddison's goal was excellent technically and we looked comfortable till Davies scored.  But Everton looked much worse than down here a few weeks back.  Sadly Baines goal was out of the "blue".

Peno's thought it had gone but Kasper was great (though am feeling for Danny Ward, he's a decent keeper, did a great job at Wolves in the LC in Sept 18), but pleasantly surprised when Demarai and Chilwell nailed it and Vards wrapped it up.

Praet, quality and Wilf and Maddison were excellent in midfield.  Not a done deal but by far the best draw for us when we probably had the hardest quarter final, Liverpool were always likely to play the kids.

Fingers crossed a trip to Wembleee and over 90 mins on their day that team can beat anyone if it clicks!!!

A great trip, been there 3 times over the last few years including the Musa cup show and we keep getting results!!

10 hours ago, Tanya said:

The pens were all so well taken. Well done lads.

We are happy now but some of those substitutions at the end invited so much pressue on us. We are a little lucky to get through especially since Mina missed an easy chance in the second half. Praet and Marc I thought were particularly underwhelming. 

Still, we made it. Think we will have to play better over two legs against Villa to progress. Up the Foxes

we could have been 4-0 up and out of sight by the time they had even turned up we missed a few good chances to wrap it up.

3 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

"Wembley Hilton? It's fazzyfox here, I know I've cancelled several times in the past but I want your best room, a jaccuzzi full of champagne and enough wardrobe space for my blue and white clown wig & jesters hat, fox mask and cape made from our title win flag....It's happening!!!!!"

is that Bernie

2 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Considering I slate refs every other game I think it deserves a mention, Jon Moss had a good game reffing yesterday. I don't worry nearly as much anymore when I see him appointed on our games...

Not sure if serious. 

Missed a blatant corner that came off Keane's head then Pickford's glove lol

Edited by StanSP