Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

West Ham (H) pre match

15 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

West Ham traditionally do well at ours. We don't often beat them at home and given our current form I don't think it would be a massive surprise if we dropped more points. 

Thinking back, we won at the beginning of the great escape and again in ranieri’s second season when slim scored.  That apart it’s 2 draws and one defeat (though both 2-2 draws had last minute equalisers for us .....the last one sadly an unforgettable evening for all the wrong reasons .......

I think vards needs to play himself back into a rhythm (he won’t play at Brentford) and the same with YT ....

Edited by st albans fox

Kasper

Ricardo  Evans   Soyuncu   Fuchs

Gray      Mendy       Praet      Barnes

Vardy     Iheanacho

Subs   Albrighton,Thielmens,Maddison,Justin,Choudury,Morgan,Ward

Edited by drofmor55

Just now, drofmor55 said:

Kasper

Ricardo  Evans   Soyuncu   Fuchs

Gray      Mendy       Praet      Barnes

Vardy     Iheanacho

Subs   Vardy,Thielmens,Maddison,Chilwell,Choudury,Morgan,Ward

Its genius shame we cant clone Vardy

• Haha 1

Kasper

Ricardo   Evans    Soyuncu    Chilwell

Hamza

Tielemans     Maddison 

Gray                                           Barnes

Vardy

On 19/01/2020 at 21:03, henrik_62 said:

Never works pushing a full back further forward, how they receive the ball is totally different further up the pitch.

.. I noticed Ricardo when playing against Villa was very static and stayed tight to the touchline. With all his attributes you would have thought he would have been looking for a way to advance forward by some kind of movement, coming short to Soyuncu allowing a third man running situation, generally trying to move their players around. 

He hasn't the instincts of a winger, which is surprising because he looks to have the attributes to fulfill that role. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, foxfan92 said:

3rd in the league, within 3 points of a Man City team most teams in the world are in awe of, in the semi finals of the league cup and still in the FA cup and you're saying I have low standards? I'm a realist. These last 2 game are the type of games we've seen ourselves lose in the last few seasons, and for the most part under Rodgers this season we've won. I admitted our performances have been far from great recently and we look low on confidence now, but the performances of those below us haven't exactly been that great either which is why in spite the recent result we've still got an 11 point buffer for a Champions.League spot.

Are you telling me that finishing with European football makes for a bad season? Subscribing to low standards? Every team, bar Liverpool, has gone through bad patches this season. Man City have just drawn at home with Palace and lost to Norwich. We laughed back in 2015/16 when Tottenham players imploded, and everyone was saying they are a young team feeling the pressure. We've got a very young team, and one that in the first half the season did very well, but Rodger isn't afraid to drop some from the squad completely to try to keep them from becoming complacent. He can see the rot and is acting on it.

And while I continue to agree our performances have been disappointing of late, I'm not going to subscribe to the doom and gloom of most on here while, when we look at the bigger picture and see our season overall hasn't been too bad really. 2015/16 aside (is that when you started supporting us?) I'd say this has been a fantastic season so far.

A minute ago, we were second in the league...

If we continue apace, we will be below 3d and sliding in a minute - and sorry, that's not "good enough"! Meanwhile, you cannot rely on others doing poorly when it's better (even easier) to take care of your own business. Let's not belabor the point, but quit berating folks who want a return to the performances/results that has made an European campaign a real possibility.

• Like 1

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Rogers briefing room with the players. What is our preparation for this game?

I’m so tired of watching this ground hog day.

I bet the hammers have been watching our last few losses and are going to copy the same template as the saints or burnley. For once I want our lads to be flippin prepared for it and match the fight, hunger and intensity. Let’s get that early goal again but then go up a few gears and hit them even harder and get a 2nd before half time. 2nd half they will have to throw everything at us so we sit tight stand firm make no mistakes and them hit em in the counter get a 3rd and kill the game off. We can all relax and go home happy. That’s not too much to ask is it?

• Like 1

Whatever issues Chilwell has had both on and off the pitch lately, unless the latter are far more serious than we know he has to play.  Fuchs looks like he's running in Marmite out there.

I don't know what the answer is when most of the team seems to be off form.  But apart from the obvious calls on the back four, the two must-starts for me would be Kelechi and Praet.  I'd strongly consider given Maddison some downtime here.

As they say ‘confidence breeds confidence’

we need this win badly especially at home to build on and get back on track. If we collapse again I really do fear the worst. Heads will drop massively and Rogers will have one hell of a job just to save this season. 

I just want to see some reaction some passion some anger. Need to see leaders like Evans and kasper and Vardy screaming at the others to keep up the tempo. Treat the game like a cup final! That is what klopp is drilling into his players before every game. It’s working for them so it should work for us. Cmon Brendan throw down that stupid notebook and start screaming at the players. Remind them how important it is -flippin motivate them!!!

• Like 1

A lot of these players have never experienced being in a top 4 position before. We as fans aren't too familiar with it either. We're trying to learn how to play like the big teams and for the most part we've been doing. There is so much to be proud and excited about. But managing what it's like being in that bracket is as big a learning curve as what we're trying to achieve playing wise. I think it was Justin who alluded to it in an interview where he said it wasn't just the step up to the premier league it was the fact he was joining a team who were at the time 2nd in the prem having snatched a highly regarded manager.

We're still a work in progress, but we're above the targets we set ourselves so I don't think there's anything to take a dump about. Enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

As they say ‘confidence breeds confidence’

we need this win badly especially at home to build on and get back on track. If we collapse again I really do fear the worst. Heads will drop massively and Rogers will have one hell of a job just to save this season. 

I just want to see some reaction some passion some anger. Need to see leaders like Evans and kasper and Vardy screaming at the others to keep up the tempo. Treat the game like a cup final! That is what klopp is drilling into his players before every game. It’s working for them so it should work for us. Cmon Brendan throw down that stupid notebook and start screaming at the players. Remind them how important it is -flippin motivate them!!!

I agree with this. I too look at that notebook and hope that it is for notes for him to address rather than schoolteacher like debriefs which would be tedious. It has crossed my mind whether pre-match instructions have become far too complex for some of our players to understand. Instructions like against Man City and Liverpool which must have been like arsehole or watercress as in the end, even despite a questionable lineup, there seemed to be no coherent plan.

In our first half of the season we may indeed have flattered to deceive as some have suggested but, along with confidence bred by belief in a new, energetic and charismatic manager came a pressing game with passing at pace.

The latter appears to have stopped along with aggression. Could it be fatigue, lack of confidence or merely the fact that teams have learned to counter that style. There have been some strange team selections and formations notwithstanding that we have had a busy period requiring squad rotation. But, when you look at an issue like Rodgers changing a small thing like the position of our two centre halves on the grounds that Soyuncu maybe be better suited to the press on his right foot, for me an alarm bell starts to ring. Firstly, when compared to Liverpool and Man City etc, Southampton were hardly renowned for their expert pressing game, on the contrary it was a team we'd recently beaten 9 nil. We should be taking our game to them not worrying about them. Secondly, our position in the table was built on the ability and style of being able to beat such teams and our defence keeping a number of clean sheets, one of the top defences in the division so, if it ain't broke, why change it?

Is Rodgers tinkering too much or overthinking things? Are his his instructions to his players becoming too complex? Some of the players are clearly out of sorts and I think it's too easy to blame it on fatigue when opposition teams have also had that issue to contend with. Clearly there's a combination of things but I think part of the blame has to go to Rodgers, its too easy to just blame our players, they can't all have turned to crap overnight. 

I think Nacho deserves another chance from the start and therefore I'd sacrifice Maddison out wide for the sake of a 4-4-2 as Vardy isn't quite at the droppable stage and could do with a goal. 

Kasper

Ricardo

Caglar

Evans

Chilwell (focused and with a point to prove)

Albrighton

Youri

Wilf (Hamza if not fit)

Madders

Nacho

Vardy

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

13 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think Nacho deserves another chance from the start and therefore I'd sacrifice Maddison out wide for the sake of a 4-4-2 as Vardy isn't quite at the droppable stage and could do with a goal. 

Kasper

Ricardo

Caglar

Evans

Chilwell (focused and with a point to prove)

Albrighton

Youri

Wilf (Hamza if not fit)

Madders

Nacho

Vardy

.. how many games has Maddison played wide that he has been effective in!!

You must have seen the disjointed performances of the whole team and you still wish to replicate this. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. how many games has Maddison played wide that he has been effective in!!

You must have seen the disjointed performances of the whole team and you still wish to replicate this. 

He links up better with Chilwell than the other wingers and we need Youri to find some form.

Whilst I agree it's not ideal, Maddison is still a threat even out of position.

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. I noticed Ricardo when playing against Villa was very static and stayed tight to the touchline. With all his attributes you would have thought he would have been looking for a way to advance forward by some kind of movement, coming short to Soyuncu allowing a third man running situation, generally trying to move their players around. 

He hasn't the instincts of a winger, which is surprising because he looks to have the attributes to fulfill that role. 

Why he's a full back lol!