Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I've been thinking this feels a bit like 9/11 in terms of how certain things changed after that.

Not sure how this time, but it does feel like a major event in history and things won't be the same as before.

To be fair mate, I think that’s stating the obvious. An awful lot will change and much more so than after 9/11 I suspect.
This is definitely one of the biggest changes in history due to the nature of the virus and its implications which are huge

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

To be fair mate, I think that’s stating the obvious. An awful lot will change and much more so than after 9/11 I suspect.
This is definitely one of the biggest changes in history due to the nature of the virus and its implications which are huge

Just depends what will change mate and how this change will manifest itself long term.

Short term I can see people keeping their distance, wearing face masks, not shaking hands and working from home more, but apart from that, who knows...

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm desperate for a change of scenery. I'll certainly be taking a holiday as soon as I can.

I feel like I've not been as clear as I should. I mean to say the meaningless shit we do because we're a little bit bored - day trips to Scarborough because there's less to do. 

Not suggesting to do away with the concept of holidays! hahaha.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Aren’t all symptomatic sufferers asymptomatic for a few days (possibly up to fourteen) before they develop symptoms ??.

Even more so to err on the side of caution about that info then. We have no idea who he came in to contact with in the past couple of weeks or before symptoms showed before he was been given a test. The less the better! 

15 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Couldn't you equally argue that people might be more motivated to do stuff like this after this is over?

Yep. 

Most people I know are itching to get away once this is over as the monotamy of sitting around at home is too much. 

20 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I wonder how much of an impact this will have on the world.

Part of me thinks that once it's under control we'll just go back to the default of what was acceptable previously; another part thinks this could be a seismic change.

Without being too grim it's fascinating to think of the potential implications of this. The world could be changed for the better. Are the people of Venice going to be so keen to take the guilded coin of tourism when their living conditions have so demonstrably changed for the better. After 2 months of basically living the same are people going to be that keen to travel for 3 hours to sit on a beach and eat fish and chips. Endless potential good.

Might change for the worse though, once the money runs out and we end up with civil unrest. Who gives a shit about how clear the water is in Venice if you’re standing in line at the local food bank

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Might change for the worse though, once the money runs out and we end up with civil unrest. Who gives a shit about how clear the water is in Venice if you’re standing in line at the local food bank

Yeah you're very right to say that. 

36 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I wonder how much of an impact this will have on the world.

Part of me thinks that once it's under control we'll just go back to the default of what was acceptable previously; another part thinks this could be a seismic change.

Without being too grim it's fascinating to think of the potential implications of this. The world could be changed for the better. Are the people of Venice going to be so keen to take the guilded coin of tourism when their living conditions have so demonstrably changed for the better. After 2 months of basically living the same are people going to be that keen to travel for 3 hours to sit on a beach and eat fish and chips. Endless potential good.

I was listening to the Ed Miliband/Geoff Lloyd podcast and they had a historian from Stanford called Walter Scheidel on and he spoke about the potential for change. The more destructive the issue, the greater the social change. Massive events such as world war 2 for example reduce inequality. He seemed to think that this event is not big enough to cause that great social change which the World Wars and previous plagues had done and the world as before will remain pretty much the same.

There are promising things happening on our shores though. Since the pandemic was declared the UK has not relied on coal generators at all, the longest run since 1882. We had the introduction of cycle schemes the other day and this will accelerate the path to car-less city centres. And then there's the working from home issue which more people seem to be getting behind as a permanent solution. In Pakistan the government has employed 63,000 people who have lost their jobs to plant 1 billion trees over the next few months, which is quite extraordinary. If this pandemic has accelerated these sort of policies into action then our planet is going to be all the better for it in the long term. 

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly enough, I'm in the "this new slogan is confusing bullshit" camp, or at least it appears that way - I'm going to hold off judgement until I've heard Boris' speech, and hope some clarity comes from it. If it's true though, then it just seems......odd. Ok, so I've read their 6 points on that lovely poster that they've made; I'm content that I understand them, while also being slightly puzzled, as from my understanding, their definition of "stay alert" seems to suggest that we carry on doing exactly we've been doing before hand. My concern is this; a change of messaging implies a change in what we should be doing, when really it seems to be business as usual, according to those 6 points.

Now I'm presuming that this slogan is going to be repeated ad nauseumlike the previous ones. At face value "stay alert" implies a big difference to "stay at home". It's alright saying "well it tells you what stay alert means at the end, idiots, how is that confusing". That's great, as long as those extra points are going to be explained on each advert. However I imagine on a lot of adverts, etc. the catchphrase is just going to be parroted without an explanation - they're not going to include a 60 second clarification of what it means, and even then some people will just read the slogan. 

If someone told me that our policy has changed from "stay at home" to "stay alert", then at face value I would think - great, business as usual then, I just need to make sure I'm being a bit more careful. If that's what we're going for, then fair enough, but if we wanted people to essentially carry on as before, then it seems like a very odd thing to do, and more likely to do harm than good.

Now I'm about as far from a Boris fan as you can get, but to his credit he seems quite cautious about relaxing the lockdown measures, and has withstood a lot more pressure from the media on the matter than I thought he would. So I could be wrong, but I don't think he's really planning on making any huge lockdown concessions. It seems like this is just a PR stunt to placate the public, a way of pretending we're making more progress to being out of the lockdown than we actually are. "Hey look - we were on 'stay at home' but now it's 'stay alert'. But keep doing exactly the same please".  Like when your installing software, and your loading bar gets to 99% and you think it's nearly done, but it then stays on it for bloody ages. 

Let's hope we get a bit of clarity in the next hour or so.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Raj said:

Im afraid this will open the flood gates for people to use as an excuse to start going out more. The emphasis and risk factor will be diluted by the sentiment of today. With regards to the so called 14 day isolation period by incoming travellers and lack of testing, this is way too late and an epic epic failure by the government. There will be a second wave of deaths no doubt about it.

I read somewhere that UK and Jordan are the only two countries not checking temperatures on and off planes.  The thing is, every passenger arriving here will have already been checked onto the flight.  In other words, the rest of the world is doing all the work for us.

Genius!

51 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just musing on the concept of telling her the Scottish are devolved. I think she's been brilliant throughout this, ever present and frank. Stood her ground in some respects. Good leadership.

In what way. They have pretty much until now been in step with the rest of the Uk. And I think they have similar levels to the rest of the Uk.

they just don’t get the media treatment as Boris et al

UK data. Shows quite well how much each demographic and underlying health condition raises relative risk of death.

Interestingly smoking, high blood pressure and asthma don’t seem to make much difference.

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2020/risk-factors-covid-19-death-revealed-worlds-largest-analysis-patient-records

3D4C079A-2968-4DA3-830B-F371F69B1E12.png

Edited by brucey
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brucey said:

UK data. Shows quite well how much each demographic and underlying health condition raises relative risk of death.

Interestingly smoking, high blood pressure and asthma don’t seem to make much difference.

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2020/risk-factors-covid-19-death-revealed-worlds-largest-analysis-patient-records

Interesting thanks for that. Key thing for me if you are under fifty and healthy it’s not really that life threatening

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

I read somewhere that UK and Jordan are the only two countries not checking temperatures on and off planes.  The thing is, every passenger arriving here will have already been checked onto the flight.  In other words, the rest of the world is doing all the work for us.

Genius!

The only issue with that is if someone develops symptoms on a flight, as they could be on one for 24 hours or so.

Fed up of the same message (however it's branded). What are the plans for the future. Are we going to acknowledge that this virus will be around for a long time. Are we making plans to live with the fact it's there. What are the expectations? 

They've had so much time now, surely they can start to answer these questions.

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Fed up of the same message (however it's branded). What are the plans for the future. Are we going to acknowledge that this virus will be around for a long time. Are we making plans to live with the fact it's there. What are the expectations? 

They've had so much time now, surely they can start to answer these questions.

Maybe all will become clear in around the next 30 mins

Seriously tired of the social media warriors panicking before 7pm. Nobody has seen / heard the speech yet but you’ve got the “stay at home brigade” as I call them panicking. 

now don’t get me wrong I’m all for stay at home etc but these people on social media are just slaying anyone and everyone for even setting foot out their houses. I’m a key worker, my line of work is critical to the NHS and I need to go to work to pay my mortgage, support my two kids and wife who is on furlough. Since lockdown I have done all the work, shopping, taking stuff to mother in laws as she is in need. If I need to leave my house for a reason then I’ll leave my house. I’m not having bbqs in my garden with 20 mates but nor is EVERYONE else like they seem to believe.

cant wait for this to be over so it cleanses social media of the salads as much as any other reason tbh

• Like 4

Just now, jammie82uk said:

Maybe all will become clear in around the next 30 mins

I had hope but it's slowly disappearing. I'm imagining something along the lines of "thanks for helping us, you've been brilliant, we need to keep the number down, the hard work has just begun, don't expect things to change soon, we need to follow the data"

Yada yada yada

19 minutes ago, brucey said:

Tie fighters. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The only issue with that is if someone develops symptoms on a flight, as they could be on one for 24 hours or so.

True.  Took me two days to get back from India on Aeroflot once.  I remember being stuck in Moscow airport for twenty four hours on the way back with raging, violent dysentry.