Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

11 minutes ago, TK95 said:

will still need to invest in a backup as we'll be one short. but don't think we need to go out and spend stupid money on a replacement when we can promote from within our own academy.

Who that is any good is going to come here knowing they'll be sat on the bench behind an 18 year old though? This isn't Football Manager.

7 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

Worked with Soyuncu. I'd rather just splooge the money on a quality right winger than buy a Chilly replacement. 

It's a risk definitely, but one I'd be tempted to take. 

Lets be honest, we got extremely lucky with Soyuncu.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I don't think we got 'extremely' lucky at all, the club scouted and signed him for a reason, the coaching staff believed he could step up and he did so admirably. 

There's an element of the unknown, luck or whatever with every decision/transfer, we fell the right side of the Soyuncu decision but this was a player we already had on our books a year prior, so we had a good idea of what we'd be getting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TK95 said:

will still need to invest in a backup as we'll be one short. but don't think we need to go out and spend stupid money on a replacement when we can promote from within our own academy.

I think @Webbo point still stands, your still promoting Thomas as a 1st team starter for a Top 4 chasing team after what 3 or 4 games in which yes he played well and was on the front foot but was also culpable for at least 2 mistakes leading to goals.

The kid isn’t ready to be starter week in week out he has come direct from the academy not even been on loan he has a lot of growing up to be done both physically and mentally, therefore the Chiwell replacement needs to be that, a replacement for Chiwell with Thomas as a growing understudy leading to a solid understudy/starter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

Worked with Soyuncu. I'd rather just splooge the money on a quality right winger than buy a Chilly replacement. 

It's a risk definitely, but one I'd be tempted to take. 

14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Difference is Söyüncü was a £20million signing and a couple of years further on in his development having played frequently in the Bundesliga. Thomas is 19 and has a handful of professional games under his belt. 

I agree he looks a great prospect and it sounds like the academy rate him very highly. But would rather he got a year on loan in the championship playing regularly and can then come in and challenge for a starting spot. Just not sure he’s ready to be starting for a top 6 side yet. 

If Chillers were to leave Telles in for ~£25 mill and then to gradually ease in Luke 

next year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I think long term we should be trying to compete with the 'elite' clubs. Otherwise what's the point we should be aiming to slowly build so in 10, 20 years we do have the income and the fans and the sponsorship to compete. I think it's a reasonable aim as the club has shown what can be in just 10 years let alone 20 or 30. We should not be aiming for mediocrity.

No one is aiming for mediocrity but it's unrealistic to expect us to compete with clubs long term who generate three or four times the income we do. We've stepped up from mediocrity to being one of the top clubs in the country outside the "big six" but the next leap is much, much harder.

if we are to have any chance of doing that then we have to be much smarter than them in the transfer market in both buying and selling. Selling Chilwell for big money I view similar to selling Drinkwater and Maguire. Both of those were overpriced and I believe Chilwell will prove to be the same in the coming years. The only outgoing transfers I didn't want to see in recent years is Kante and Mahrez but both had to happen for different reasons and both were against the club's wishes. Chilwell will be viewed more like Maguire/Drinkwater than Kante/Mahrez.

Nothing wrong on selling any player who the market overvalues and reinvesting again. Clubs like us need to invest heavily in scouting and recruitment and if we keep getting it right then the transfer market is an asset to us and turnover of players should be welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d take alonso and over the £68 mil record for his position, I’d be laughing all the way to the bank for a player never worth that much 😂.

The only thing I don’t like is the reporting that we need to sell chilwel and nacho to free up funds, we have made major money through title wins, champions league, and silly amounts in transfers, like 80 mil cash for maguire last season, why would we have to sell to buy, off load because we don’t want them, I cannot see us having to sell, sounds like bollocks

• Like 1

Just now, Monsell1976 said:

The only thing I don’t like is the reporting that we need to sell chilwel and nacho to free up funds, we have made major money through title wins, champions league, and silly amounts in transfers, like 80 mil cash for maguire last season, why would we have to sell to buy, off load because we don’t want them, I cannot see us having to sell, sounds like bollocks

1. Ground expansion
  2. Training Ground
  3. Wages
  4. CoronaVirus losses
  5. Loans to service
  6. Transfer fees already paid (ie Tielemans)

That's 6 without even having to think. I gather just about all football clubs run at a loss, and it's simply managing those losses.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I’d take alonso and over the £68 mil record for his position, I’d be laughing all the way to the bank for a player never worth that much 😂.

Would not want that criminal anywhere near our club. How he isn't in prison I will never understand. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Twitter is vile

4 hours ago, turkish14 said:

This aspect of life really insults me. The notion that anyone can talk disgustingly about another human I find deplorable.

same on here at times, the level of abuse goes way to far.

yes discuss, criticise, praise et cetera, but personal stuff? Gets me so mad 

It’s always worth remembering that comments on social media are generally outliers. 

Even for massive subjects that go viral, the number of people that just view the headline tweet and reserve passing judgement far out weigh those that feel the need to comment in whatever form.

That said, there is a traverse issue here in that whilst visible comments may not actually reflect public opinion at that given time, given the ease of visibility of them and the general feeling they give off of reflecting public opinion - they can shape what is considered to be public opinion moving forward, especially as they tend to be viewed within an individuals own echo chamber.

Ergo social media comments do not represent public opinion BUT can influence it moving forward.

Thus concludes my short thought piece on the real value and impact of social media comments. Counter points and further discussion welcome.

Oh and on Chilwell - my sense is these reports feel about right. The timing and muted fee makes sense - I’d be surprised if it’s not confirmed by the middle of the week if not earlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

Would not want that murderer anywhere near our club. How he isn't in prison I will never understand. 

You might choose to remove this - murder is a deliberate act, whatever he did I doubt he set out to kill the victim.

• Like 1

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

You might choose to remove this - murder is a deliberate act, whatever he did I doubt he set out to kill the victim.

I've changed it. But it is worth remembering he was driving drunk at 70 in a 30 zone and a young woman lost her life. If that had happened in any European country other than Spain he would have been sent to prison for a long time. I feel sorry for the young woman family watching him having such a successful life when she will never get that chance herself because of his actions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Cash + player a possibility? 

Doubt it - I think a name would have been touted by now if we were interested in a player coming the other way, because let’s face it the speculation has been going on for over a year on this one.

Equally - who in the Chelsea first team would be likely be wanting and able to recruit? I don’t see any obvious candidates? 

And finally - there’s really no point in us looking to add a fringe player outside of Chelsea’s main squad to the deal even if we wanted them - you’d think if this scenario there would be no immediacy for us to conclude a deal and Chelsea would only look to inflate the price to reduce the cash outlay of the transfer. It would be much more sensible in this case to look at the transfer situation separately.