Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Man Utd home

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Asking him why he is supporting a club from another city. Why can't he support his own? :dunno:

I didn't know there was a rule that one has to support their local team. I can't really say anything at all as a United fan living in London. Aside from the fact that I grew up in a family which was Liverpool or United, and when you choose an allegiance at age 6, you barely know much geography to understand what's a local team!

29 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

See my comment right above yours for.my thoughts :thumbup:

Just got a feeling it's going to be an edgy, boring and overall poor game.

Technically we've got nothing more to lose, we go into the game with everything to gain. There's 2 sides of realism to this for me. Realistically no one expected us to be top 4 at the start of the season, most would have expected us to be there or there abouts for top6/7. We've achieved our goal, to get European football, and can actually go into the game quite relaxed. In the flip side the realism is that we were top 4 and had been for 90% of the season, right up until it mattered. Not only have we just lost that position, we also threw away a 14 point lead to end up where we are. 

But my 1st point about the realism of the situation is how we have to go into the game. We have nothing to lose, relax, we are where we want to be and put the onus of you boys to get your game right. And I do think there is an element of pressure on Ole to do that. 

We know what we need to do, win. You boys just need not to lose, that can be a more dangerous thought process. 

I'm kinda glad in a way that we're the chasers in that respect. I'd feel very uncomfortable if we were a point or 2 ahead going into this game.

I think most of us, while disappointed with how the season has ended for us, gave up on champions league a few games ago. I for one, am not too bothered what happens Sunday anymore. 

I tell you now though, come kickoff on Sunday I'll be sat in my lucky shirt completely bricking it lol

45 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Hi  :welcome:

It's pretty obvious that both teams can attack very well.

Given our injuries and Soyuncu's ban, we hope we can defend on Sunday.

We are all a bit wary of United's massive penalty count and also our team has been on the rough end of some awful referee decisions this season.

United will spend squillions and be up there in years to come anyway.  For us, this is a once in a long time chance to play with the elite.

Would quite like Chelsea to be 5 goals down at half time and both teams in our game to be stroking it about for a less than fiercely contested draw.

It will more likely be frantic, though.

Thanks guys - I agree it's definitely on a knife-edge. The only thing going for us is I still feel Rodgers is nave in the way he goes about attacking. If he leaves gaps for our front 3, they can cause havok. On the flip side, if you score first we have a real game on our hands because Ole isn't exactly established himself. Liking the look of Barnes for you lot, and I haven't seen much of James Justin but he seems decent the few times I've watched him. 

1 minute ago, PickledRick said:

I didn't know there was a rule that one has to support their local team. I can't really say anything at all as a United fan living in London. Aside from the fact that I grew up in a family which was Liverpool or United, and when you choose an allegiance at age 6, you barely know much geography to understand what's a local team!

Thanks guys - I agree it's definitely on a knife-edge. The only thing going for us is I still feel Rodgers is nave in the way he goes about attacking. If he leaves gaps for our front 3, they can cause havok. On the flip side, if you score first we have a real game on our hands because Ole isn't exactly established himself. Liking the look of Barnes for you lot, and I haven't seen much of James Justin but he seems decent the few times I've watched him. 

He looked class when called upon as cover, since he's been effevtively 1st choice though he's looked shakey. Not terrible by any means, just far from solid (in my opinion) made a few naive mistakes and just hasn't looked as comfortable. He's still young though, and his flashes of brilliance give me hope that he'll be quality in years to comes. 

For me, Rodgers is naive in games that the pressure is on not to lose. That's why I'm hoping this scenario plays on our favour. It doesn't matter if we lose, it matters more to you if you do, and why I'm happier being the chaser. It takes the pressure off us a little and places it at Ole's feet. If it was me (with my infinite knowledge of managing top tier football teams lol) that's how I'd play it. We're firmly in 5th, barring a 15 goal swing, and offer that to us at the start of the season we'd have taken it.

We have to look at it that way, we have to go into the game with a freedom of what will be, will be. You boys lose and you had it in your grasp only to lose out to a team that had let you in in the 1st place.

As someone else said, the only way the game won't be edgy is if Chelsea are behind at halftime and we can play out the draw ;)

7 minutes ago, PickledRick said:

There isn't a rule but you'll never have the emotion and feeling of pride that we had when winning the Premier League. You ought to try going to your local club and being amongst your own rather than taking second hand glory from another's club. They're not just called 'United', the first word is 'Manchester'. 

• Like 3

I've moved about a fair bit in my life - a few countries, so I follow a few teams' results and try to go to games if I can. Even going to local non league games is a great feeling because you feel the joy of the fans.

But the only times football has made me cry was when we won the league and the chairman's death. Supporting a team that represents where you're from or live has so much more of an impact on your life.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

There isn't a rule but you'll never have the emotion and feeling of pride that we had when winning the Premier League. You ought to try going to your local club and being amongst your own rather than taking second hand glory from another's club. They're not just called 'United', the first word is 'Manchester'. 

That's based on a flawed premise that you get more joy if a local team wins than from if the team you supported since childhood wins. I go to my local teams too, I used to have a season ticket for Palace and I've visited Wimbledon a few times. What connects me to Manchester United is that the club has been ingrained in my family for generations, back from when they lived in East Africa. So that tie is something that is quite special to me, more special than Wimbledon or Palace at least.. whereas to neutrals it just brings out a  "go support your local team" sort of response. 
It's fine, it's not really an issue because it's only fair to raise an eyebrow for people not supporting their local team. But being local isn't a necessary requirement to have a special bond with a club. Everyone has their own reasons.

One element I massively disagree with is this concept of "second hand" glory. This ideology that glory for supporters around the world must be "second hand" because they aren't from there isn't really what Football is about. Not in my opinion, anyway.

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

He looked class when called upon as cover, since he's been effevtively 1st choice though he's looked shakey. Not terrible by any means, just far from solid (in my opinion) made a few naive mistakes and just hasn't looked as comfortable. He's still young though, and his flashes of brilliance give me hope that he'll be quality in years to comes. 

For me, Rodgers is naive in games that the pressure is on not to lose. That's why I'm hoping this scenario plays on our favour. It doesn't matter if we lose, it matters more to you if you do, and why I'm happier being the chaser. It takes the pressure off us a little and places it at Ole's feet. If it was me (with my infinite knowledge of managing top tier football teams lol) that's how I'd play it. We're firmly in 5th, barring a 15 goal swing, and offer that to us at the start of the season we'd have taken it.

We have to look at it that way, we have to go into the game with a freedom of what will be, will be. You boys lose and you had it in your grasp only to lose out to a team that had let you in in the 1st place.

As someone else said, the only way the game won't be edgy is if Chelsea are behind at halftime and we can play out the draw ;)

Yeah will be an interesting bout. Rodgers need not worry too much unless Chelsea take a lead and word hits the Leicester players. Having no fans there might ease matters in that sense, and I look at our defence for Maguire/Lindelof and genuinely think they're equally capable of making errors or getting caught out as Wes flipping Morgan. That's the trouble from our side, we look shakey. Can't really play out from the back comfortably either so it suits a player like Vardy and even Barnes. Pogba's been poor for us for 3 games on the trot, Bruno has looked off the pace and burnout seems to have affected the squad in general. Obviously we'd both surely agree that we'd be best playing off a draw if Wolves beat Chelsea! 

Edited by PickledRick
  • Haha 2

Just now, OadbyBlue said:

Tbf there’s Leicester fans on here from all over the placelol

And there should be absolutely nothing wrong with it ;)
Let's not try and pretend that it's not every club's goal to expand their reach of supporters anyway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PickledRick said:

That's based on a flawed premise that you get more joy if a local team wins than from if the team you supported since childhood wins. I go to my local teams too, I used to have a season ticket for Palace and I've visited Wimbledon a few times. What connects me to Manchester United is that the club has been ingrained in my family for generations, back from when they lived in East Africa. So that tie is something that is quite special to me, more special than Wimbledon or Palace at least.. whereas to neutrals it just brings out a  "go support your local team" sort of response. 
It's fine, it's not really an issue because it's only fair to raise an eyebrow for people not supporting their local team. But being local isn't a necessary requirement to have a special bond with a club. Everyone has their own reasons.

One element I massively disagree with is this concept of "second hand" glory. This ideology that glory for supporters around the world must be "second hand" because they aren't from there isn't really what Football is about. Not in my opinion, anyway.

Yeah will be an interesting bout. Rodgers need not worry too much unless Chelsea take a lead and word hits the Leicester players. Having no fans there might ease matters in that sense, and I look at our defence for Maguire/Lindelof and genuinely think they're equally capable of making errors or getting caught out as Wes flipping Morgan. That's the trouble from our side, we look shakey. Can't really play out from the back comfortably either so it suits a player like Vardy and even Barnes. Pogba's been poor for us for 3 games on the trot, Bruno has looked off the pace and burnout seems to have affected the squad in general. Obviously we'd both surely agree that we'd be best playing off a draw if Wolves beat Chelsea! 

I think people misinterpret criticism for supporting a team that you aren't affiliated with directly be it because its your local team or because of family connections etc, for me it comes down to how much a fan cares. If football genuinely effects your mental well being then that's not something you can switch on or off and there's a damn good chance you stick with them through thick and thin and thats what being a supporter is all about.

Obviously if the team you support wins titles/trophies and you are surrounded by thousands and thousands of other fans to celebrate is very special but to be accused of it not feeling as good if you're somewhat removed in a different location is a little condescending. 

As I've said there's a misconception between the real plastic glory supporters and then genuine fans who get tarred with the same brush, not really fair in my opinion but as the real fan what does it matter. If you feel what you feel through the good times and the bad with your team then you earn the right to be treated properly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PickledRick said:

Just joined the forum, timely as a Manchester United fan looking to amicably discuss with other fans on forums!

May I ask how you guys are feeling towards the big fixture on Sunday? Ideally we are in a stronger position but the way we've struggled against Southampton, Palace, West Ham and Chelsea, I really don't know anymore. Vardy and Barnes are in particular are huge threats. 

I think most have resigned to a defeat, a draw at the very best if you’re having an off day. We’re horrible depleted, have no confidence a soft underbelly and a manager who’s stubbornness is causing us issues of late.

Id love to think we’ve got a fairly tale ending in us for this season, but I can’t see it. We’re missing our wide attack, and our spark in Madders. Only Vardy and potentially Teilemans (is he’s up for it) could provide some threat. Personally even though you’ve had a mini stutter you’ll be far, far too strong for us. I’m genuinely worried about the score as I think our away win record may be broken, we’re that fragile at the moment that conceding an early goal might completely destroy us. 

Having said that football is an odd game, and can throw up some odd results at times, I just can’t recall an occasion historically where united have ****ed up like this? You always seem to get the job done regardless of your situation. I probably won’t watch the game if I’m being honest, I’ll accept Europa and I don’t want to sit and watch another emotional roller coaster just to be kicked in the balls again! 

If Albrighton is fit I think Rodgers  might start ahead of Barnes for his crossing ability and defensive quality/work rate.I have to say Barnes or Vardy vs Maguire would be interesting

I think Perez should start he has looked as good as anyone over the last few weeks.

Presume we are going for a back 4 after a back 3 has conceded so many in recent games? Problem is that even if we went a goal up with a minute to go I would be worried as happened against Watford so I think we will need a couple of goals whilst keeping them out.

At least we are underdogs hope that psychology works in our favour and takes a bit of weight off the shoulders.Think of it as a cup game keep our shape and be a bit more in their faces and hope for the best.

• Like 1

I'm hoping this is like the Swansea game when we won the league. Vardy was suspended, general doom and gloom, but we came out and battered them. Ulloa had the game of his life and I'm hoping we have another similar hero on Sunday, someone we don't expect, maybe Perez, Barnes or Gray. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think most have resigned to a defeat, a draw at the very best if you’re having an off day. We’re horrible depleted, have no confidence a soft underbelly and a manager who’s stubbornness is causing us issues of late.

Id love to think we’ve got a fairly tale ending in us for this season, but I can’t see it. We’re missing our wide attack, and our spark in Madders. Only Vardy and potentially Teilemans (is he’s up for it) could provide some threat. Personally even though you’ve had a mini stutter you’ll be far, far too strong for us. I’m genuinely worried about the score as I think our away win record may be broken, we’re that fragile at the moment that conceding an early goal might completely destroy us. 

Having said that football is an odd game, and can throw up some odd results at times, I just can’t recall an occasion historically where united have ****ed up like this? You always seem to get the job done regardless of your situation. I probably won’t watch the game if I’m being honest, I’ll accept Europa and I don’t want to sit and watch another emotional roller coaster just to be kicked in the balls again! 

It's weird because I'd have thought 5th place and Europa would have been a very good opening season for Rodgers & Leicester. But then the slip of 14 points wasn't ideal and I agree you're left thinking you could have taken the CL spots with ease. Whatever happens in this game, I think transfers will be needed for Leicester from a squad depth perspective. European competitions + a season with hardly any break from now is going to be mental. I hope you lot are backed to be fair, because all neutrals have appreciated the rise of the club. 

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think people misinterpret criticism for supporting a team that you aren't affiliated with directly be it because its your local team or because of family connections etc, for me it comes down to how much a fan cares. If football genuinely effects your mental well being then that's not something you can switch on or off and there's a damn good chance you stick with them through thick and thin and thats what being a supporter is all about.

Obviously if the team you support wins titles/trophies and you are surrounded by thousands and thousands of other fans to celebrate is very special but to be accused of it not feeling as good if you're somewhat removed in a different location is a little condescending. 

As I've said there's a misconception between the real plastic glory supporters and then genuine fans who get tarred with the same brush, not really fair in my opinion but as the real fan what does it matter. If you feel what you feel through the good times and the bad with your team then you earn the right to be treated properly. 

I agree, I'd have more respect for a staunch Liverpool fan compared to an armchair fellow United one. I know a few Manchester United "supporters" who have never been to a game. That tells me everything I need to know, because they can afford it and they can do it, but its clear they don't love the club enough. 

Edited by PickledRick
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

If Albrighton is fit I think Rodgers  might start ahead of Barnes for his crossing ability and defensive quality/work rate.I have to say Barnes or Vardy vs Maguire would be interesting

I think Perez should start he has looked as good as anyone over the last few weeks.

Presume we are going for a back 4 after a back 3 has conceded so many in recent games? Problem is that even if we went a goal up with a minute to go I would be worried as happened against Watford so I think we will need a couple of goals whilst keeping them out.

At least we are underdogs hope that psychology works in our favour and takes a bit of weight off the shoulders.Think of it as a cup game keep our shape and be a bit more in their faces and hope for the best.

I think if Albrighton is healthy he starts ahead of Thomas, not Barnes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I think if Albrighton is healthy he starts ahead of Thomas, not Barnes.

I'd start the game with Albrighton on the left midfield with Thomas behind him. Bring Barnes on after 65 when we need to step up the morphine.

Schmeichel

Justin

Morgan

Evans

Thomas

Ndidi

Choudhury

Perez

Tielemans

Albrighton

Vardy

Schmeichel 

Justin

Morgan

Evans

Thomas

Barnes

Ndidi

Tielemans 

Albrighton

Perez

Vardy

I’d play Albrighton on the left, his experience and work rate will help Thomas out. Barnes on the right, one v one i think he has the beating of Williams. Perez supporting Vardy but dropping into midfield when needed. 

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

But we have Thai owners, who have adopted our fair Club & city..I

• Like 2

Just now, Max Power said:

If Albrighton is fit he can have Bennett’s spot. Justin moves to right sided centre back in the 3-4-3.

Not a bad shout that and quite easily can change to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 at a drop of a hat too.

The only chance we've got is that football is a 'a funny ole game' (© greavsie) 

Man U overhaul a 14 point deficit. The Team they've chased down been total shite and injury ravaged

Winner takes all on the last day. 

(Except if Bennett and Thomas play. I'm afraid that's pushing the boundaries of credibility)

38 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not a bad shout that and quite easily can change to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 at a drop of a hat too.

Think Justin’s mobility with their front three is important as well. Allows Wes to not get pulled out wide. 

• Like 2