Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

On 10/03/2021 at 20:07, gurru991 said:

I don't feel you can judge a team when they are playing Man C. Overall Southampton played well, but playing out from the back is their undoing. They don't have the players to do it !!

I wasn't judging Southampton on just this one game. When you consider where they were not so long back you'll understand what I meant.

• Like 1

Sad day for them, he'd done such a brilliant job and for it to turn sour like this is a real shame. Also shows that so few managers have an ideal ending after a good time- they tend to leave after a bad run/ fan pressure.

Not sure Lineker using Norwich as an example is correct too- sacking Farke after barely giving him any money would've been very harsh. Sheffield United do have the excuse of money spent to back up any claims.

There's this weird pattern that teams come up, play some really good football and stay up, then the next season struggle and go down. It feels like Burnley had the right strategy with Dyche. I don't know whether something internally in the club has gone wrong but I'm not sure it's turned sour. Small clubs yo-yoing up and down leagues is just the nature of things, especially for smaller clubs that don't have the financial muscle. I don't think it helps that pundits and people see the PL as some kind of holy-land, managers getting sacked just to stay in it (yes I get the irony of those words given what we did), fans bawling their eyes out at the realization they're going down like they're being exiled. Better to ignore all that rubbish and stick with Wilder and the project he's been working on. 

• Like 1

Stating the obvious when saying a win and 3 more points to the tally is always valuable, but there's some weeks where it's even more prevalent given other fixtures occurring. Not least when you're playing a side in the bottom 3, and your rivals in the table play each other...

Arsenal vs Spurs
Man Utd vs West Ham

Perhaps ideal scenario (if we win), is for Man Utd and Arsenal to win also. Means an 8-point gap remains from us to 5th, and 11pts between us and a currently in-form Spurs.

A bonus if Leeds can beat Chelsea but not expecting it given Tuchel has hit the ground running and then some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Imagine now Bournemouth could say forget Woodgate... let's go for Wilder. Bournemouth go up Blades come down.

Do Bournemouth have a DOF because that’s clearly what wilder needs. 

Keep him far away from transfers and he’d do fine.  Probably the perfect guy for international management  

10 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Keep him far away from transfers and he’d do fine.  Probably the perfect guy for international management  

Nah. I don’t think he’d do well at international level. His success has been with players that seem like they’re all lads lads lads.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Having a DOF is literally the reason he has walked...

I’d love to see us bin Boothroyd, get him in as U21 boss and train him up to take over from Gareth. I think he’d be perfect for it. Completely disagree with you on that one @Bert... think his passion would work perfectly at international level 

Just now, AjcW said:

Having a DOF is literally the reason he has walked...

I’d love to see us bin Boothroyd, get him in as U21 boss and train him up to take over from Gareth. I think he’d be perfect for it. Completely disagree with you on that one @Bert... think his passion would work perfectly at international level 

We all have our opinions mate :thumbup:

For me, and I’ll use O’Neill and Wilder as a comparison - Both worked wonders with a average group of players and got the best out of them if not more.... Yet when O’Neil went into international management it didn’t really work out all that well. 

I’m not saying I’m right, nor would I actually be against Wilder being an England manager in the future. I just don’t think it would work. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bert said:

Nah. I don’t think he’d do well at international level. His success has been with players that seem like they’re all lads lads lads.

Perhaps that’s just what we need. A good old fashioned no nonsense guy who won’t sway to the big team bias. 

I know who I’d rather play for between Southgate and him. 

58 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Stating the obvious when saying a win and 3 more points to the tally is always valuable, but there's some weeks where it's even more prevalent given other fixtures occurring. Not least when you're playing a side in the bottom 3, and your rivals in the table play each other...

Arsenal vs Spurs
Man Utd vs West Ham

Perhaps ideal scenario (if we win), is for Man Utd and Arsenal to win also. Means an 8-point gap remains from us to 5th, and 11pts between us and a currently in-form Spurs.

A bonus if Leeds can beat Chelsea but not expecting it given Tuchel has hit the ground running and then some.

Since when did we regard Arsenal as a rival?

They are 15 points behind us.

3 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Imagine now Bournemouth could say forget Woodgate... let's go for Wilder. Bournemouth go up Blades come down.

For whatever reason, I can't see Bournemouth fans taking to a character like Wilder. It's probably the Howe years that did it, but they just don't match the salt of the earth profile he has. I really like Bournemouth as a place, but it's not exactly a good fit for a character like him, in the same way I couldn't see Pearson in the dugout for them. In Yorkshire and most of Lancashire, however? He could walk into any club. Trust me, they love him up there.

I reckon he'll wind up at another Northern club in the top 2 divisions. I can see him at Leeds after Bielsa eventually goes elsewhere, or Burnley if something ever happens to weaken Dyche's position. And despite Sheff Utd's current predicament, given he's still being talked about as a future England manager he might even fancy now as a good time for a crack at the Celtic job if they're desperate enough to employ an Englishman.

Edited by OntarioFox

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Agreed. Does well because he’s down to earth with players who respond to old-school (90’s-early 2000’s) type management. Not sure he’d be cut out for international football. 

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Chris Wilder has done some magnificent things in his managerial career, his record is superb.

First time I interviewed him was at Northampton.

Top bloke. Would love a pint with him.

Lovely Geoff

Unfortunately I’ve got £265 riding on him leaving now so would quite like it if hurried up and cleared his desk 🤨😂 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

What competition did Joelinton win? Decent prize to get a whole season as a Premier league striker. 

I’ve given Bruce plenty of stick this season but ****ing hell it must kill him to see that donkey ruin two clear breaks in a row lol 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I’ve given Bruce plenty of stick this season but ****ing hell it must kill him to see that donkey ruin two clear breaks in a row lol 

Got to be one of the worst ever premier league signings. I know we have wasted money on the likes of slimani but we had money to blow (no excuse). For Newcastle to spend £40m on him is mental.

• Like 1