Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Football really does have too many knuckle heads around. Even worse the Leeds social media account started this chain of events off

The whole debacle is exactly why you'll never get equality. Both 'sides' are right and both sides are wrong. At the same time.

The knuckle heads, as you put it, are way too keen to throw abuse, because she's a woman.

Equally she shouldn't be exempt from criticism and I doubt the initial post from Leeds was made because she is female.

The abuse she's getting will provide evidence for those saying she shouldn't have been subjected to the initial post. But if you can't treat pundits equally (by holding them to account in the same way) how in any way is that 'equal'?

Do women need extra protection? Well, kind of, but only because of absolute fvcktard bigots.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

The whole debacle is exactly why you'll never get equality. Both 'sides' are right and both sides are wrong. At the same time.

The knuckle heads, as you put it, are way too keen to throw abuse, because she's a woman.

Equally she shouldn't be exempt from criticism and I doubt the initial post from Leeds was made because she is female.

The abuse she's getting will provide evidence for those saying she shouldn't have been subjected to the initial post. But if you can't treat pundits equally (by holding them to account in the same way) how in any way is that 'equal'?

Do women need extra protection? Well, kind of, but only because of absolute fvcktard bigots.

Problem I have is they call her and others a quota pick or PC hire but they can't explain how idiots like Paul Merson, Tim Sherwood etc were hired and still in a job. In fact, they threw a hisdy fit when the Soccer Saturday lads got moved on That's what bothers me the most. Its not easy being a woman in a heavily male dominated industry (fans, media, players, executives etc). Alex Scott gets so much abuse simply for being a woman and being paid to have an opinion.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Didn’t a similar thing get predicted about us after about 1/3 of last season, and we well and truly fell away. 

Yep, it flagged that we were too reliant on Vardy's finishing and the conversion of our chances was well above average, so we were likely to revert to the mean. 

However, I think other factors played their part in what happened to us - the break in the season meant we couldn't build on the momentum from the 4-0 win over Villa as looked like we were getting things back together, injuries to crucial players (Ricardo, Maddison, Chilwell), and the 5-sub rule really helped Man Utd and Chelsea as they had deeper squads that they could better use, especially with games in such a short timeframe, as well as fortune. You could argue the lack of a home crowd hurt us in the final day match as well. 

• Like 3

Didn't they edit the clip and miss out sections of her praising Leeds or qualifying her comment? I'm sure I heard that was the case.

Official twitter accounts should be bland and steer clear of what pundits say- leave that to the fan channels. There was always going to be a pile-on and as it was a woman, much more personal.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

People who abuse others, male and female, most probably from behind a picture of their favourite footballer are weirdos. The whole football twitter thing is weird. 

I mean Twitter in general, let's be fair.

Pays to remember when scrolling Twitter you're reading the musings of the vocal minority.

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Didn't they edit the clip and miss out sections of her praising Leeds or qualifying her comment? I'm sure I heard that was the case.

Official twitter accounts should be bland and steer clear of what pundits say- leave that to the fan channels. There was always going to be a pile-on and as it was a woman, much more personal.

The wider quote does qualify the comment - and it’s a far more rounded opinion for it.

Social media is all about the hits and the clicks. The ‘wadmin’ don’t give a fcuk about who they target. 

It’s the whole sad part of social media - it makes stories and opinions become a select amount of words. It’s the same reactions we get when someone sees a clickbait story forms an opinion despite the whole article clarifying the headline in greater detail 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

The Leeds owner is a monumental ****, he called out a journalist a few years ago for reporting (factually) that his whole project was in danger of going to the wall if they didn't go up. Which was subsequently proved to be true as he was effectively writing them a 1m cheque every week. 

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/02/blogs/championship/journalist-hits-back-at-radrizzani-on-twitter/

He tells the people inside his club to behave like this. The abuse Laurie got for writing the truth was ridiculous and smacks of a sensitive child who can't take anything but praise from people. 

Of course Cairney isn't immune from criticism but Leeds knew exactly what they're doing when they wrote that tweet and I hope they have a serious think about how they behave online. They won't, and I hope the owner gets what he deserves.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Society

50 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Need Villa to draw else they'll overtake us with an additional game in hand.

Noooo. Need them to win just to shut all these pundits and media outlets raving about Utd being so great in what is obviously a poor league. It’s not even half time on the league yet

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Good post, really sums it up well I feel.

For sure she shouldn't be exempt from criticism due to the nature of football and her job. Sad that it's come to this that she's received ridiculous amounts of abuse for doing her job and giving her opinion.

22 minutes ago, Rasmic123 said:

Surely Karen Carney started this off with her slanderous comments

Slanderous comments? She gave her opinion as a pundit, something that she's paid to do. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rasmic123 said:

Surely Karen Carney started this off with her slanderous comments

She is paid to have an opinion.  It is not slanderous and she doesn't deserve online hounding for it.  I don't even blame Leeds.  They are entitled to have little dig back I suppose.   It the hordes of anonymous and pathetic trolls who seem to think nothing of attacking strangers from the safety of their bedrooms.  I highly doubt that she has received a torrent of criticism and if she had I'm sure she would cope.  I expect it much more likely that she has been faced horrible abuse and yes, it is worse to go after a woman in this way.  

• Like 1

As all sensible people are saying, both Carney and Leeds are within their right to do what they did.

The only people in the wrong are the brain dead idiots on Twitter that forget theres a real person on the other side of the messages 

• Like 2