Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

I like big Dan, always have, and I wanted him to play RB today, but i thought he was pretty poor overall.

A few times he made a late decision to try and win a loose ball and got bypassed leaving him out of position, and his distribution/weight of pass was loose for pretty much the whole game. He always looks gangly and awkward, but he is much better in possession than what he showed today.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Still love it that his best game for us was in a midfield pairing with Andy King that dominated Guardiola's Man City :D

I’d forgotten that was our midfield partnership that day. I’ve no idea who watched Amartey and thought he could play in central midfield lol 

Seriously, though - howlers!  His decision-making almost led to at least two Liverpool goals.  He is indeed a great squad player, and perfectly fine as a 4th best CM and 5th best fullback.  But he really shouldn't be starting games of this magnitude.  

7 minutes ago, martyn said:

I like big Dan, always have, and I wanted him to play RB today, but i thought he was pretty poor overall.

A few times he made a late decision to try and win a loose ball and got bypassed leaving him out of position, and his distribution/weight of pass was loose for pretty much the whole game. He always looks gangly and awkward, but he is much better in possession than what he showed today.

Is he, really?  I don't think what we saw from him today was all that atypical.  It might not be so bad to use him at RB against a side that's going to sit back and let us have lots of nice, relaxed possession at the back.  But against a pressing team he should never be in that position.   No way, no how.

1 minute ago, M0901 said:

I don’t get the hate. He’s never going to be first choice, granted, but for someone who seems happy to be 4th choice, he’s more than good enough to be a back up player! He’s not going to play when everyone is fully fit, but that’s the beauty of a squad game. We’re going to have injuries, so he’s going to play some minutes. He played against Man City and was solid, today, he was good enough. That’s the important thing.

I've said it so many times on here over the years, successful clubs are built on reliable back up players, who are often prepared and able to fill in a few positions. You need them knocking around, ready to step in. Milner is great example at Liverpool. Fergie had the likes of O'Shea, Brown, Valencia etc over the years.

• Like 2

I thought Big Dan did just fine today. We had to move Ricardo over to the left hand side, and needed him to come in against a potentially lethal Mane-Robertson combination. He held his own on the right hand side, and defended the penalty box well for most of the game, including a last ditch challenge on Mane.

We'll likely be patched up like that until Castagne comes back if Rodgers doesn't put Thomas in. Amartey did his bit today and is great CB and fullback cover option to tide us over.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Seriously, though - howlers!  His decision-making almost led to at least two Liverpool goals.  He is indeed a great squad player, and perfectly fine as a 4th best CM and 5th best fullback.  But he really shouldn't be starting games of this magnitude.  

Plenty of the team made howlers today including Youri, we always play like we’re scared of these and it affects the whole team. Give him a run of games, which he’s never really had with us before judging him and that should be the norm for all players.

He may well end up as what he currently is back up and playing out of position.

Was brilliant in the week and marshalled Daley-Campbell really well. Was decent 1st half but then I thought he was an absolute liability 2nd half and I don't really know why he suddenly became so calamitous. As a back up centre half though he is spot on, to think we used to have Benalouane as 4th choice and we kidded ourselves he was champagne and yet we've got a player who's had horrible injuries and been managed by 3 or 4 managers who flatly refused to ever play him at CB and then Rodgers has tried him there and he's been pretty bloody good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Plenty of the team made howlers today including Youri, we always play like we’re scared of these and it affects the whole team. Give him a run of games, which he’s never really had with us before judging him and that should be the norm for all players.

He may well end up as what he currently is back up and playing out of position.

I don’t think we ought to give him a run of games when we have better options (Thomas and Fuchs) available.

Not every squad player needs to get a run of games.  They’re squad players for a reason.

32 minutes ago, FoxFromCoalville said:

I’m sorry but he certainly wasn’t “pretty poor” he was one of our tidier players albeit if looking a little rusty which you can expect for a player that has played as little as he has. He’s a great player to have around the club as mentioned previously with the wealth of positions he can cover for and he has done a good job for us when he has came in without a doubt 

I agree totally about his value to the squad. That will be laid bare now the fixtures start piling up. As I've said, I like him and a judgement of a performance in isolation isn't saying anything about his value as a squad member.

Today I wouldn't say he was "tidy" at all. He was pretty ragged in a lot of what he did, especially one on one decision making and on the ball where his weight of pass, even simple square balls to a centre half was often too short, especially at the start of the 2nd half. Still, Liverpool didn't get in behind too much down that side, so that's to his credit.

Edited by martyn

15 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don’t think we ought to give him a run of games when we have better options (Thomas and Fuchs) available.

Not every squad player needs to get a run of games.  They’re squad players for a reason.

Fuchs would have got absolutely rinsed today, and I suspect Thomas would have struggled. Thomas will get games, but Amartey was a smart pick for Liverpool where you want to have pace and strength in the full back areas to nullify the threat of Salah and Mane (and marauding full backs) as much as you can.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 4

I think he’s going to be a very useful player for the rest of the season to provide the versatility that we’ve lost with JJ being out. Made a few mistakes today, but generally very solid, and provides decent cover in the air which we’ve lacked recently. I think if he can get a few starts he’ll improve significantly and gain in confidence.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

After years of watching players who didn't give a shit, I'll take players like Amartey any day who can step in, be 100% committed and give everything.

He's not the most talented or dynamic player on the books but always gives everything in every game.

100% this.

I'm convinced there's a damn good player in there too, not just as a squad player. Many people wrote Mendy off as not good enough, until he was needed at the start of the season, had a run of games, built up some confidence, and showed he's actually more than capable. If Dan gets a run of games as a result of recent injuries, providing he stays fit himself, I'd bet he proves how decent he is much the same.

With a fully fit squad he's obviously not starting calibre, but that doesn't mean he's not good enough.

• Like 2

Conceded one goal to exceptional assist by them and he’s featured in huge wins against Liverpool and Man City in his very few starts. We can’t keep 20+ first team shoe ins happy so players like Amartey are hugely worth weight in gold. Sure Thomas will play in Fa cup and maybe Europa but think Brendan will use Amartey a lot in the league between now and end of season with us missing JJ. Fuchs would have been a far bigger risk today, although could well see him play in other games who don’t have someone of salah quality running past him. 

• Like 2