Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

37 minutes ago, Sly said:

We must remember that centre back wasn’t his natural position but he isn’t getting into our midfield.

Ah, that old chestnut. Has anyone ever agreed on what his natural position is/was? Sure, he got tried out in the Kanté replacement role years ago but I've never concluded anything from that. He plays at CB for Ghana and I think we're more used to seeing him at RB or CB... I dunno, perhaps we could agree on the slightly unflattering 'defensive utility player' but, for me, he's best at CB.

Very happy for him,  didn't do anything wrong to get dropped in the first place.  As long as he keeps its simple hes effective. If we play 3 atb, he has to play in my opinion. He has his limitations with passing so as long as we don't dick around with it too much at the back hes good for me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

Ah, that old chestnut. Has anyone ever agreed on what his natural position is/was? Sure, he got tried out in the Kanté replacement role years ago but I've never concluded anything from that. He plays at CB for Ghana and I think we're more used to seeing him at RB or CB... I dunno, perhaps we could agree on the slightly unflattering 'defensive utility player' but, for me, he's best at CB.

He definitely started life as a midfielder. He played in that position for Djurgårdens and later Copenhagen. 

If you look at his stats, he’s played 90 games in midfield and 88 games in defence throughout his club career. Puel has tried to utilise him as a right full back and in fairness to him, he’d start to adapt and become consistent in that position, before that unfortunate injury on that terrible night.

He’s played as a centre back for Ghana in all but 2 of his caps I believe. I think that’s as much a reflection on the ability Ghana have at centreback and midfield, as he even played in that position whilst he was largely played as a midfielder in Sweden. 

Tbh, I think it's a moot (or is it mute? ;) )  point tbh.

I know how he started out in Sweden but we see how he's played now, and for the last x years. To conclude what his "natural" position is is kinda irrelevant now. He's played, and probably coached, as a CB these days - and, as I said IMHO, is more comfortable and confident (not to mention effective) as a CB.

Many many examples of players changing position. Cags said he started out as a striker - does that make it his natural position?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

There is something very honest and likable about the guy. He was fantastic yesterday and he deserves to keep his place 

Him and Evans compliment each other fairly well I feel. To be fair, all of our defenders look 10 x better than Evans, keeping him fit is utterly vital.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Would you put Dan ahead of Vestergard?

I've a more 'horses for courses' approach. And, tbh, my jury's still out on Vestergaard. He's slow as the proverbial wet week, for sure, (and that doesn't suit our preferred style) but it's not like he's entirely without use.

Amartey has looked very confident and capable of late so it's not so clear cut theses days and the gap is closing. I personally would probably be looking to give him the nod to start but I'd have Vestergaard on the bench, and sometimes reverse that.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Simoken said:

His best performance in a LCFC shirt yesterday.

Disagree....Hes had quite a few top games & IMO has already Tipped those Scales into the positive...

its worth noting, again IMO, so far our better players this season,who have shown a decent level & consistency in our games...

have been the black sheep, the scape goats....Perez & Amartey

Then >Vardy the doubted oldman <

Now just wait & see Bertrand & Vestergaard, will slowly also find their way...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Would you put Dan ahead of Vestergard?

Yes, but I think the one game Vestergard did well in was Man City as we defended deep and he put his body on the line numerous times. If we are to play a high line which is the majority of the time, then Dan is miles ahead imo. 

Like Soyuncu, Big Dan looks so much more confident when played in a CB three alongside Evans

Evans is the key. He oozes confidence and marshalls the defence superbly.

Amartey can then play to his strengths. He tidies up we’ll round the back cos he’s relatively quick and, of course, strong

The only criticism I have yesterday of Amartey (which could be hurled at the whole defence by the way) was when they switched off to the long ball over the top for Rashford’s goal. None of them saw that coming but I think Amartey was nearest Rashford when the ball was played?

Other than that, very composed again.

I’ve said before, possibly the best attribute of Amartey is that he doesn’t moan, complain or want to leave when he’s not played.

He loves the club 

👍

The real issue for Rodgers (which I wrote on here over the summer) is who to get to replace Evans when he’s not available? It’s likely that Amartey and Cags will be ok, but they need that wiser, older head around them.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

Never really got the hate for this lad he’s not a world beater but he’s a great squad player. Always puts a shift in and he’s played well in some big games for us every club needs players who are happy with a handful of games a season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

The only criticism I have yesterday of Amartey (which could be hurled at the whole defence by the way) was when they switched off to the long ball over the top for Rashford’s goal. None of them saw that coming but I think Amartey was nearest Rashford when the ball was played?

Other than that, very composed again.

That's always the risk when you employ a high line as Brendan wants to. Solskjær spotted the opportunity to go long. We'll be more capable of playing this way with Fofana's pace.

He looks awkward in possession but he’s actually a good passer. Often breaks the lines with a punchy pass into midfield. Probably at least as often, if not more often than Soyuncu does 

• Like 4