Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Harvey Barnes

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Hopefully he can get an England call up this year, think he’d offer a refreshing change 

Not likely, isn't playing for the right club. Southgate would probably play him at centre half. Don't want any of our players near that bunch of spoiled duffers or he'll end up on a Greek holiday fighting in the summer. 

36 minutes ago, Luttfox said:

Currently 9/1 to make the Euro finals squad, got to be worth a punt if he continues this form

Pretty packed in that position, Sterling, Rashford but guess it only takes an injury

You’d take him. He offers something the others do not. Pure power and more importantly complete randomness. Not even sure he knows what he’s gonna do at times let alone 

defenders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think he's our biggest young prospect and was all along. Genuinely think he's got a higher ceiling than Maddison.

For West Brom he started on the left but was easily the most dangerous when he drifted infield, popping up to terrify defences and opposition fans alike. He’s settled into the left wing here yet yesterday you saw him alongside the attack. A front three of Barnes, Vardy and Under, with Youri and Maddison supplying them, Ndidi staying ahead of Soy and Evans while Ricardo and Castange rush forwards could be electric.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, StanSP said:

Not to get ahead of ourselves (but let's do it for a few minutes).

In the Euros squad next summer...?

Going to have his work cut out for him with Sterling and Rashford ahead of him in the pecking order.

I've a feeling he'll have a great season (easier without Chilwell behind him - those two just did not gel at all) and rightly get the plaudits for it. However, Sterling will rightfully keep that spot as he's proven he's at that level over a number of seasons now, and Rashford is another media darling from Man Utd so he'll always have a head start over Harvey. Nothing against Rashford as a player or person, but I think it'll be tough for Barnes to make himself first choice ahead of those two. He'll probably end up with a squad place and see minimal gametime, similar to Drinkwater, Maddison et al.

Had the first half on the radio as I was driving. One of the commentators (can’t remember her name) said Barnes needs to convert his chances as you don’t get 4 or 5 a game in the PL. Which is generally a fair comment. The scary thing is, Barnes often gets a fair few chances per game. If he can find some confidence/composure/finishing-form/luck (whichever it may be), he could score a hat full over a season. 

• Like 2

Next thing, though, is that other clubs will become more aware of his threat and look to find tactics to blunt it.  So, although part of his development will be to continue improving his decision-making and shooting, he will also have to learn how to adapt to and counter the measures employed to stop him.

11 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Next thing, though, is that other clubs will become more aware of his threat and look to find tactics to blunt it.  So, although part of his development will be to continue improving his decision-making and shooting, he will also have to learn how to adapt to and counter the measures employed to stop him.

And when that happens he will be returning the favour to Vardy, who is taking defenders attention at the moment. It's all good!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Foxxed said:

For West Brom he started on the left but was easily the most dangerous when he drifted infield, popping up to terrify defences and opposition fans alike. He’s settled into the left wing here yet yesterday you saw him alongside the attack. A front three of Barnes, Vardy and Under, with Youri and Maddison supplying them, Ndidi staying ahead of Soy and Evans while Ricardo and Castange rush forwards could be electric.

Hopefully the emergence of Cengiz Under will give the opposition another threat to worry about and even less chance they pick up on Barnes. Barnes is not far off being a very, very good player in my opinion. He's infuriating because he's that close, but he gets so many chances that he's bound to start racking up some impressive goal tallies. He's easily our most underrated player to people who don't actually watch us. Gets nowhere near the hype loads of others do.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, deep blue said:

building a brick wall on the pitch should do it :))

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Hopefully the emergence of Cengiz Under will give the opposition another threat to worry about and even less chance they pick up on Barnes. Barnes is not far off being a very, very good player in my opinion. He's infuriating because he's that close, but he gets so many chances that he's bound to start racking up some impressive goal tallies. He's easily our most underrated player to people who don't actually watch us. Gets nowhere near the hype loads of others do.

Really encouraging that he's consistently getting into those positions too. I think that's a lot harder to coach than finishing is. Double figures should be his aim this season.

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Barnes is genuinely better than Zaha but he doesn't get hyped like Zaha because Zaha is a big fish in a small pond whilst Barnes is just another good player in a team of several top players.

Barnes still has work to do with his finishing but his build up play and technique and the way he carries the ball is superb.

That's actually so true and yet I bet if you did a national poll from Premier League followers who is better, Zaha would win it at a canter. Zaha has more tricks but Barnes is more productive.

2 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

Really encouraging that he's consistently getting into those positions too. I think that's a lot harder to coach than finishing is. Double figures should be his aim this season.

That's the point, he nails the hard part, none of our other wide options are capable of doing that.

I've always thought when you strengthen a position you take the burden off the others and make their lives easier.

17 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

That's actually so true and yet I bet if you did a national poll from Premier League followers who is better, Zaha would win it at a canter. Zaha has more tricks but Barnes is more productive.

TBF though Zaha has proven himself repeatedly over a number of seasons and people are aware how pivotal he's been for Palace so his status is solidified. Barnes clearly has a huge future in front of him, give it a season or two and that poll will have Barnes win in a landslide. 

I don't want any of our lads near the England squad tbh. Southgate is a blinking terrible failed manager but he's too much of a FA yes man, so he's not going anywhere. Having Sterling and Rashford ahead in my eyes is a bad thing because it'll mean the idiot Southgate will call Barnes up for pointless friendlies ("just to have a look at him") with almost no intention of taking him to a tournament.

Being entirely pragmatic regarding the "sell a player once a year strategy"  is if we can hold on to him until 2022 and he gets called up for the world cup it'll increase his price.  

5 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

TBF though Zaha has proven himself repeatedly over a number of seasons and people are aware how pivotal he's been for Palace so his status is solidified. Barnes clearly has a huge future in front of him, give it a season or two and that poll will have Barnes win in a landslide. 

I don't want any of our lads near the England squad tbh. Southgate is a blinking terrible failed manager but he's too much of a FA yes man, so he's not going anywhere. Having Sterling and Rashford ahead in my eyes is a bad thing because it'll mean the idiot Southgate will call Barnes up for pointless friendlies ("just to have a look at him") with almost no intention of taking him to a tournament.

Being entirely pragmatic regarding the "sell a player once a year strategy"  is if we can hold on to him until 2022 and he gets called up for the world cup it'll increase his price.  

Yeah and in fairness Zaha has actually started this season very well, he's actually only one goal behind his tally for the whole of last season lol

Barnes strikes me as somebody who will have calls to play for England but they won't be met. There's something a bit unfashionable about him, he just seems a bit... I don't know, shy? He doesn't seem to grab the attention that he probably should.