Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

1 minute ago, Christoph said:

Thing is...so many of our great players had a lackluster first reason. I mean...look at Mahrez. He didn't do an awful lot for his first 2 seasons. I think these things need time and players need time to adjust and gel. Vardy also didn't play great in his first season either. 

I really think he could become decent and has higher potential than Perez or Nacho. Hopefully this run of games shows what he can do. 

\i don't think he has and its a pretty low bar. Hope im wrong and he scores Wednesday

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Mahrez was pretty amazing very quickly.

Not quite how i remembered. The talent was obvious but he had loads of off games for us at the start. 

1st season in the Championship he had 19 appearances and 3 goals. 2nd season in the Prem he had  30 appearances, 4 goals and 1 assist (plus 1 extra goal in league cup). Doesn't sound that amazing to me. 

Edited by Christoph

10 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

Mahrez was an eye test thing though. His main issue was strength and time on the ball but his technical ability was amazing from day one.

No doubt plus Pearson wasn't really playing him enough either but i can see a glimmer of talent and technical ability in Under as well. Albeit not quite that level but hes shown more technical ability than Perez has. 

Am I just trying to convince myself that everything is going to be ok even though half our team is ****ed? Maybe i am...maybe i am. lol 

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

Thing is...so many of our great players had a lackluster first reason. I mean...look at Mahrez. He didn't do an awful lot for his first 2 seasons. I think these things need time and players need time to adjust and gel. Vardy also didn't play great in his first season either. 

I really think he could become decent and has higher potential than Perez or Nacho. Hopefully this run of games shows what he can do. 

How many points would you be willing to drop to find out though? Not that it matters now anyway as we've got no choice but to play him anyway.

I think Under actually has to be told the role he needs to play, as in 'your job is to carry the ball to here and look for A or B when you get there'

It seems he's far too unpredictable and too much of a licence to get up to all sorts, which might be ok in other leagues but to pull off a free role in the Premier League you need to be a different gravy. 

He has the attributes to be very handy I feel, but he needs more guidance on his responsibility and role. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Problem is he is now looking like someone who doesn't feel like the manager rates him. It can go two ways, force him to prove him wrong or he loses more confidence. It's not guaranteed he starts on Wednesday, but he should start the next 3 games and see what happens. 

Yes he looks like he's lost confidence down to the realisation that it's unlikely he'll be getting a permanent move here. Assuming he's unwanted by Roma it would be in his own interest to prove himself in the shop window as he'll be looking for another move in the summer. 

35 minutes ago, turlo said:

Yes he looks like he's lost confidence down to the realisation that it's unlikely he'll be getting a permanent move here. Assuming he's unwanted by Roma it would be in his own interest to prove himself in the shop window as he'll be looking for another move in the summer. 

I hate the “shop window” nonsense. 

He’s a professional footballer. He should be giving his all for his current team regardless of what lies ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he takes this chance that he likely to get in the next few weeks, he could secure himself a place here next season. 

he has something about him can beat a man and is quick, just need to turn that into a few goals and assists 

3 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Our right wing spot is cursed. No player can ever fill Mahrez boots.

Not many players could. 

You’d argue that he’s wasted at Manchester City, however he’s still playing a good number of games and picking up trophies. 

6 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Anyone else get the feeling Rodgers still wont pick him? 

Castagne & Thomas full back with Ricardo and Albrighton on the wings

Wouldn't surprise me vs Burnley, he'll think it's a safe haven to pick a horribly combative and turgid team because that's who we're up against. His thought process will be that Ünder can come on and change a game but going behind to Burnley is never a nice experience but not quite as difficult as it was a few years ago under Dyce. 

1 hour ago, teblin said:

If he takes this chance that he likely to get in the next few weeks, he could secure himself a place here next season. 

he has something about him can beat a man and is quick, just need to turn that into a few goals and assists 

As well he has a clause in his contract that we have to buy should he make so many appearances, could be starts actually but still. Said before he wants to stay here too. 

4 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

Mahrez was an eye test thing though. His main issue was strength and time on the ball but his technical ability was amazing from day one.

Yeah I remember that game against Reading. Don't think he scored or assisted but you could see the man had unreal ability. Got one of their lads sent off IIRC.

Still maintain that Mahrez has the best first touch in world football. Would chop a bollock off to have him back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Wouldn't surprise me vs Burnley, he'll think it's a safe haven to pick a horribly combative and turgid team because that's who we're up against. His thought process will be that Ünder can come on and change a game but going behind to Burnley is never a nice experience but not quite as difficult as it was a few years ago under Dyce. 

Let's hope not, because if it's a turgid physicaly battle then Burnley are much much muuuuch better equipped to win that.

11 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Got to say I agree with this. No one else dares to deliver into the box these days because of our obsession (Rodgers instilled) with keeping the ball even during transition and with players dashing forward (and opposition not properly set up), with most prefer to do a 50 yard backpass back into our own half at the first sense there may not be an absolute clean pass (and when the mind is working to backpass instead of finding that forward pass, you will make that backpass and your teammates will not make that run needed). Not saying Under’s passes have been great of late, but we hardly create more than 5 half chances in the box a game for a long while. We need to be a little less fearful and go for it and at least with Under I know he will try to pass forward. We gave some a long time to iron out their wrinkles, why not give Under a chance and get behind the lad.

He does need to work a bit harder though in terms of tracking back and being in position. He does track back but he can often find himself out of position.

I feel you might well be right. Its quite possible i think that a manager can tell players how they should think and act during a game and unintentionally get an end result he does n't want. Maybe that's part of the reason  so many managers fail in football as compared with other activities. Either way I think Ünder should have been a useful asset and somewhere something has been mishandled ,gone wrong and he has n't proved to be. Either way he's never been given the same chance others have had. Not a good outcome  now that we need everyone who is fit, especially anyone who is relatively fresh and fit. 

Your last paragraph I certainly see what you see and interpret this as Ünder trying to do what is asked but not yet being good at it as most successful footballer"s instinct is to go forward. Going backwards or sideways to keep possession I don't like personally but can see its often easier than going forwards and keeping possession. The result is when I look at a lot of match statistics the team with easily the most possession has lost the match.

I often thought the Barcelona team at their peak were too reluctant to enter the penalty box where even their best ever passing could lose the ball in a more congested area. As a result I think they rarely achieved as good a result as expected. Sure they won but watching them one expected 10-0 every match. Pep now seems to have developed a team which has less skill on the ball and in passing. but is more likely to achieve high scoring wins. Mind you he's been at it longer with top quality players. maybe as a reward for being above average as a manager from the start.

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Let's hope not, because if it's a turgid physicaly battle then Burnley are much much muuuuch better equipped to win that.

Best way to beat them is to play everyone that's comfortable with the ball at their feet under pressure.

Mendy should play IMO. Keep the ball and keep them running while we're jogging. 

Wouldn't play Under because he's incapable of sustaining an attack. He'd just be giving the ball back to Burnley all game to give them opportunities to boot the ball forward.

• Like 2

Time to take the opposition by surprise and put under in the 10 role or Tavares in the 10 role. Getting boring reading match reports of Leicester don’t look like there going to score when Maddison’s out. I also think Perez suits in that role more than anywhere else and we should of rested maddison more with that this season in cup games. I also think we’ve been dumb on a few occasions ie starting Soyuncu and Ricardo on a slippy pitch in Europe. Just wasn’t worth the risk

Edited by Heymister2015

Personally think Ricardo should not be rushed in to 2-3 games a week. I would rest him and bring on at full back for Castagne on the hour mark. Another who has had his injury problems.

Under needs to step up. Give him a full 90 to see what he can do. With Castagne and later Ricardo behind him he has quality support. 

• Like 2