Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dorsetboy

When everyones fit ?

so been having this conversation with my boys and with how certain players have stepped up and the new lads , with a fully fit squad how would you play and with what line up . 

i went with the following 

4-2-3-1 

-----------------------------------kasper--------------------------------------

ricardo-----------fofana ---------soyenchu----------castangne

------------------ndidi----------------mendy/tielmans-------------------------

under-------------------maddison------------------barnes

---------------------------vardy---------------------------------------

rotate mendy and tielmans depending on opposition 

Guessing the line up is a lovely game to play and a nice way to think about the team.

With the amount of games this season, the versatility of this squad and Brendan wanting to play different systems, even if the squad is fully fit and available, the days of seeing an ongoing regular first choice starting 11 will be rare. 

Obvious individual players will get more games than others over the season, but I have a feeling Brenno will be down the the charts for managers picking the same starting 11. 

• Like 2

I think it’s very dependant on who we are playing.

When everyone is fit we will play 3 at the back at times & Praet will play his fair share of games.

The biggest plus for me so far this season is how well the likes of JJ, Mendy, Fofana and Under have done which means when everyone is fit we can rotate. Our lack of squad depth last year is what cost us our champs league place, everyone was knackered towards the end 

• Like 1

No way Tielemans isn’t a regular starter, and it’s hard to bench Praet too.  Fofana will be the 3rd CB this season if all three are healthy - Evans is our best defender and can’t be demoted to the bench.

If we’re still alive in Europa this isn’t a big problem.  You play 3 matches every 10 days or so, each of the CBs plays twice.  You could probably rotate Tielemans, Praet, Under and Mendy for three spots, maybe Maddison as well.  If we’re out of Europe and the FA Cup, I could see guys being unhappy with their playing time.  But it would be a nice problem to have.  How often is everybody healthy at the same time, really?

• Like 3

Just wondering why Castagne is assumed to move over to the left? If he is a better in that position than Justin then you'd think it would be, Justin right and Castagne left currently, also settling Castagne into that position so no reshuffle is needed when Ricardo returns?

I suppose with modern football it's pretty safe to assume it will be a constant rotation between the 3?

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

There will be no 'everyone is fit' this season imo.

Agreed we are actually in quite a good position right now (considering the circumstances of this season) with Maddison, Praet and hopefully vardy coming back to near peak fitness we only have 3 injuries all of which have a logical replacement. 

Soyuncu > Fofana

Ndidi > Mendy

Ricardo > Justin

Of those 3 only Justin is a massive downgrade. This might be as good as it gets for us this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I'd genuinely go with Fofana and Evans. Might be harsh on Soyuncu but oh well. 

Hopefully we'll qualify for Europa/CL for the next few seasons, which'll give us plenty of games and the perfect opportunity to rest and rotate between those 3 as needed. After all, Evans is no spring chicken and 50+ games a season (plus internationals) is probably asking a bit much of him. I'd agree that Evans/Fofana would probably be first choice on recent showings, although I'd be more than comfortable with any combination we choose to play. It's a great position to be in.

For the whole squad, I think its hard to argue against:

Schmeichel

Ricardo - Evans - Fofana - Castagne

Ndidi

Ünder - Tielemans - Maddison - Barnes

Vardy

With imo the only debatable ones being Ünder (bit early for a judgment) and then the two trios-into-pairs at CB (Soyuncu missing out) and CM (Praet missing out).

And we're slowly getting to the point where the backup in every position is top-half-prem standard (and good enough for Europa), which bodes very well for the future and allows us to rotate/rest without too much of an impact on our overall quality.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I thought this was going to be about Liverpool.

Amazing how the Big 6 Press Machine go on endlessly about Liverpool's injury problems.

So true .

I see Pickford has had to hire bodyguards for his family following death threats after his challenge on VVD:angry:

Kasper

Castagne, Evans, CB*, Ricardo**

Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison 

Under, Vardy, Barnes 

*bit undecided at the moment. Fofana has been in better form the last two games than Cags has since we came back from the covid break. They're both young and inconsistency is to be expected. I'd probably say Evans is out best CB for now though. He makes both of them better. 

**Regards Ricardo on the left, some of his best runs are runs that cut inward, diagonally from full back in a way that confuses the hell out of defenders. He's fairly two footed but cutting in on to his stronger foot would be good. I also think Castagne does his best work overlapping, while Under will be best when cutting in giving a good combination. 

• Like 1

Rodgers seems to me to be too conservative to play both Under and Barnes from KO, I suspect it'll be one or the other unless we're getting desperate for a goal in the 20mins or so.