Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

Not at the heights of this time last season yes, but calling him extremely poor since lockdown is absolute hyperbole.

If Fofana and Cags play together and consistently beat top teams away then you might have a point by way of comparison but until then...

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Not at the heights of this time last season yes, but calling him extremely poor since lockdown is absolute hyperbole.

If Fofana and Cags play together and consistently beat top teams away then you might have a point by way of comparison but until then...

Spot on really

Can see why people think this is knee jerk but I agree, his performances have been going off the boil for a while.

Things I've particularly noticed where he has dropped off from his previously high standards:

Turns the ball over far more, especially cushioned headers from opposition long balls under little pressure, or where a ball breaks into his feet at pace where he is facing the game. He seems more panicked where previously he was so assured.

Has been responsible for playing opposition strikers onside more.

Timing of interceptions and stepping out to win possession is still good on the whole, but judgement not as imperious as it was.

I think a lot of this is more noticeable because he isn't a blood and thunder centre half, so mistakes are more noticeable because he isn't ever in last ditch situations due to his reading of the game. 

Hopefully he isn't nursing an injury, as a new contract and competition from Fofana and Soyuncu should see him motivated.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Evans was the best centre back today 

There wasnt a best centreback today, Fofana may have been caught out a few times but he didnt put the ball in our own net from a corner. Personally just feel like our fans overrate him a bit, he's solid but calling him our best centreback (in general not just today) is a bit over the top, i dont think he's done enough to separate himself from the others and his distrubution is a bit of a sticking point considering the possession style we try and play at the moment.

Edited by honeybradger

16 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Evans was the best centre back today 

He wasn't.

First and 2nd goal were entirely his fault.

2nd goal, I've seen a few blame Fuchs, but that cross was crossed into what should have been Evans' space. Evans was dragged miles out to the wing because he was following Mane's run ignoring the ball. Fuchs couldn't have the time to realistically come across and cover when Evans went walkabouts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

He's been "off" for a while, that's the real point.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

His form has lowkey gone right off the boil, I've thought for a while to be honest.

This.

While he often lends experience and stability to the back-line, he's been playing more like his age.

Had a very poor game today and has been hit and miss for 8 or 9 months now but I still think if we are playing a back 5 him Soyunchu and Fofana with Castagna and Ricardo either side is the stuff of dreams defensively. 

Its make shift at the minute at the back, I don’t mind Fuchs filling in at centre half but he’s an ageing 7/10 at best when he plays out of position there, Albrighton isn’t a defender, Justin is a work in progress.

Mendy was pretty poor today as well, we’d of had a better foot hold in midfield with Ndidi playing. Creatively we did next to nothing as well. Bad day at the office.

I would like to think we can negotiate our next two league games and at least get a point against Braga by which time we should have a near enough full squad back for the Everton game at the latest and hopefully Johnny can put tonight behind him and improve his form in the meantime.

Its still been a great start to the season especially given our injury problems.

Come on guys. Evans has shown himself to be quality and one of the best CBs in the country. You don’t just lose the skill and experience overnight. It is different to when we talk about players like Madders (or even Barnes) who has still yet to prove themselves over a long period of time. He has not been the best, but like Vardy, his quality is there and he will come back stronger. No need to question him. We should rather think about how to get him to sign an extension before January! Especially as Fofana, while he has been very very impressive, has shown last night against the likes of Mane that he is still a bit raw in terms of experience. He was caught out of position a few too many times for my liking, so we still need the experience of Evans to be there to help guide him.

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

He wasn't.

2nd goal, I've seen a few blame Fuchs, but that cross was crossed into what should have been Evans' space. Evans was dragged miles out to the wing because he was following Mane's run ignoring the ball. Fuchs couldn't have the time to realistically come across and cover when Evans went walkabouts.

I would actually say it was more Fofana’s space ... he was out of position at the time of the cross.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark said:

He's had 8 yellows and a red in his last 9 too. If we must play a back 5 I want to see Ricardo Justin Fofana Soyuncu Castagne. Ndidi could slot in too maybe as he looked decent in the first few games.

Wow ..... I didn’t realise that, that’s a shocking disciplinary record. 

9 hours ago, Sampson said:

He wasn't.

1st goal Fuchs jumps and misses the header which may have put Evans off. Still, it's a weird header/OG.

2nd goal the cross shouldn't even come in - Albrighton completely dives in for no reason. It's nearing HT, just stand up. Robertson would have had to try and beat him to get the cross in.

12 hours ago, Sampson said:

Interesting point and agree there was a huge space at the near point that should have been defended better but not sure i agree it was entirely Evans fault? 

players are often criticised for following the ball and yet you're criticising him for following Marnes run and not following the ball??

If the ball had been played into Marne and Evans had snuffed out the danger we would all be praising him for his awareness and positioning.

Real questions should be....WHO should have been covering Marne's run and WHY weren't they as that is potentially why Evans was dragged out of position?