Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tottenham Hotspur (A) pre match

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Once again we were undone by allowing the opposition get to our penalty area before trying to stop them. We need to move that defensive line further up the pitch.

I'd move Fofana into the middle with NDiddi and play Evans and Soyuncu at CB when he's fit.

Or bring Amartey in to play alongside NDiddi. both of whom are good at competing and have strength and pace.

Are you talking about putting Fofana or Amartey into midfield?

Fofana Ideally, As I think he's more comfortable on the Ball. But I think Amartey could do a job their also. And I think he did play in midfield a couple of times. But both him and Soyuncu need to get back to full match fitness first to be fair to them than just through them into the team.

A CB pairing of Evans and Soyuncu would make our defense very strong as we know.

To play Fofana and Wilf in front of them to break up play would give us the physical presence, mobility and Balance we currently lack. While moving that defensive line further up the pitch making it more difficult for teams to even get at us, never mind score against us.

Fofana is very good on the Ball and Wilf is getting much better with it. With the increased pace we could transition from defense to attack much quicker also.

That's where our real problem is in midfield. What we have are skillful but slow and light, which is why we get overrun too easily.

• Haha 1

On 17/12/2020 at 18:50, Sunbury Fox said:

Looks that way. Brendan does not seem convinced at all, which is a shame. Thought he did okay last night, certainly in comparison with the other attacking players.

I don’t think Brendan was that keen playing 2 wingers with our defensive injuries, but with Castagne fit and Ricardo and Soyuncu not to far off I think we will see more of Under.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Fofana Ideally, As I think he's more comfortable on the Ball. But I think Amartey could do a job their also. And I think he did play in midfield a couple of times. But both him and Soyuncu need to get back to full match fitness first to be fair to them than just through them into the team.

A CB pairing of Evans and Soyuncu would make our defense very strong as we know.

To play Fofana and Wilf in front of them to break up play would give us the physical presence, mobility and Balance we currently lack. While moving that defensive line further up the pitch making it more difficult for teams to even get at us, never mind score against us.

Fofana is very good on the Ball and Wilf is getting much better with it. With the increased pace we could transition from defense to attack much quicker also.

That's where our real problem is in midfield. What we have are skillful but slow and light, which is why we get overrun too easily.

...what happens further forward, regarding Tielemans, Maddison and wingers...?

Need to play these at their own game. Sit extremely deep and leave no space behind for Son and Kane so that we force Hojberg and Sissoko to get on the ball and be creative, which is not their natural game. It's absolutely crucial that we do not concede an early goal as they'll go full Pulis if we do - and then pick us off on the break, as they did last season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Well, it's certainly thinking outside the box!

I think we're struggling for centre-halves as it is. I don't think there's much benefit from shifting any of them into midfield.

You're right - Amartey can play central midfield, but he hasn't impressed whenever he has played there for us. He has looked good at RB and CB, though. I'm hoping he can get fit and in contention, because I think he could be a very useful squad player for us in defence.

I think Fofana looks like he could be one of the best CBs in the world one day if this is him as a teenager. I don't think he's a midfielder or that we should be looking to convert him into one.

What you're saying about breaking up play in front of the defence makes sense, but I don't think a more defensive player alongside Wilf in midfield would work in practice. We've seen it before with Puel's double pivot of Ndidi and Mendy. We struggled to move the ball forward, and they both got in each other's way. I think Ndidi works best patrolling that area on his own, plus it means we can use another attacking player.

Ndidi and Tielemans kind of play in a double pivot sometimes, but I think this works better because of Youri's creativity. We're better able to find a way forward as a result.

I do agree that the midfield could use a bit more nastiness, though. It is too 'nice' at times. Difficult problem to deal with, though, because I wouldn't want to replace any of Ndidi, Tielemans or Maddison. I guess if it was up to me, I'd be looking for an experienced, midfield general type of player as an option from the bench. Might have to be someone near the end of their career. Another Cambiasso, really.

• Like 2

Will we get mullered like last season? I hope we get off to a bright start and ideally an early goal because we don't want to concede to these negative dreamers who will play the deep block and ping us on  the break from then on. 

Of all the games over Christmas this is the one I'd like us to win most. 

I don't want to hear Brendan say afterwards "we started too slow, we didn't have that quality in the final third, we were too passive and we're a young team (not an excuse Brendan!)  Bollox. 

Also hope he don't play Ndidi and Mendy. So 4=1=3=2 with Wilf screening Evan's and Fofana. Justin and Thomas fullbacks, perez and Vardy up top. Tilemans, Praet and Mads in the middle 3 

Edited by oxtonfox

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...what happens further forward, regarding Tielemans, Maddison and wingers...?

I take your point and I understand what your saying, I'd deal with our defensive issue first otherwise you usually outscore the opposition.

Our current system with only Ndiddi invites the opposition onto our area before we stop them. How do we stop them by flooding the area with players coming back to help. That's just crazy as it doesn't always work like Richarlsons goal. Also if we do win the ball everyone is out of position, As happened when Ignachio broke with the Ball afew games ago and had to turn back.

So how do you try and stop this happening, By being quicker and stronger in the midfield and winning more Balls further way from our area. With the quality of the defenders behind M/F I'd be happy that we could fend off most treats.

Then you move onto supporting the Attacking area. The best attacking treat we have currently are Barnes, Vardy, Under supported by Youri Maddison Praet or Perez. or go two up top and two behind depending on who you are playing.

But while we have an unbalanced and soft M/Fd yes we'll win a lot of games. But when up against the better teams we'll continue to struggle.

That's the area we need to deal with most along with finding another striker.

25 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I take your point and I understand what your saying, I'd deal with our defensive issue first otherwise you usually outscore the opposition.

Our current system with only Ndiddi invites the opposition onto our area before we stop them. How do we stop them by flooding the area with players coming back to help. That's just crazy as it doesn't always work like Richarlsons goal. Also if we do win the ball everyone is out of position, As happened when Ignachio broke with the Ball afew games ago and had to turn back.

So how do you try and stop this happening, By being quicker and stronger in the midfield and winning more Balls further way from our area. With the quality of the defenders behind M/F I'd be happy that we could fend off most treats.

Then you move onto supporting the Attacking area. The best attacking treat we have currently are Barnes, Vardy, Under supported by Youri Maddison Praet or Perez. or go two up top and two behind depending on who you are playing.

But while we have an unbalanced and soft M/Fd yes we'll win a lot of games. But when up against the better teams we'll continue to struggle.

That's the area we need to deal with most along with finding another striker.

...I can understand the need to build from the back...!!!

I believe the back four takes care of itself, the Midfield is an area where we fall down and with Wilf in there we do need someone else to play along side of him, and Diallo is the player, I would elect to take up the role. He is classed as a defensive midfielder but he is more than that, more like Wilf with better passing, vision, can carry the ball and no one pushes him off the ball and plays at a good tempo. He leads by example, and that's something we have been crying out for now for sometime.

The only problem is moving further up the pitch and we need to make a decision regarding Tielemans and Maddison, one will have to drop to the bench while the other is a support for Vardy. The Wingers are either pushed forward to make a three or stay alongside the Defensive Midfielders to make up the four. Can Tielemans play that high or do we opt for Maddison where he would be more or less in the role that suits him.

So if Castagne is back, does that set us up in a back 4?

Schmeichel 

Justin Evans Fofana Castagne

Tielemans Ndidi

Under Maddison Barnes

Vardy

Or will we take the back 3?

Schmeichel 

Fofana Evans Justin

Castagne Ndidi Tielemans Thomas

Under Vardy Barnes

I can't see Mourinho changing his tactics to much, which means the only way we win this game is to pass with 100% accuracy, utilise 100% of our 79% possession, complete a 100% tackle success rate, press 100%, counter press 100%, score 100% with our chances and everything else generally completed at 100%.

Essentially, all we can do is present Mou with the most perfectly cooked Wagyu steak, over to you Chez Rodgers. 

I think we could win this if we play pragmatic and not into their hands.

Hopefully Castange is back, would be a huge bonus.

We need to start by playing our strongest players in their best positions. Mendy and Fuchs need to be sidelined for good.

Id also drop Madders for this game and think we need to keep it compact in the middle.

Not sure whether to play 4 or 5 at the back but both have merits but need certain players.

If we play a 5 we need Castange.

Kasper

Castange Fofana Evans Justin Thomas

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Nacho

Vardy

This would allow the width from 2 players with pace, good cover with 5 at the back.

3 quality players in midfield who could win the battle and actually control the game.

2 up front would help on the counter, nacho can drop in the hole and pick up scraps and hold it up. This could allow Praet and the wing backs to also support at the right times.

This would be perfect but if a Castange is out we cannot do it without putting Fuchs in and that’s a huge problem for us I’d rather avoid.

4 at the back vs Spurs is a bit risky. We could do it if we play:

Kasper

Castange Fofana Evans Justin

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Barnes

Nacho Vardy

Again this could work with the quality of those 4 at the back, but without Castange will be hard because I don’t trust Thomas in a 4 vs the quality spurs have.

Its going to be a tough old game. We can’t be carrying players in this game if we want any chance of a point even.

Praet Tielemens and Ndidi in the centre is crucial.