Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

James Tarkowski (Summer Transfer)

No. Said it before when we've been linked but I wouldn't go near a centre half at Burnley. Dyche builds around that, which I'm not knocking but we play totally different and he'd be expected to do more here.

Hopefully Knight gets a look in because reports from Wycombe have been positive from what I've read and he's 23.

2 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Can’t see this myself. The wages he would want and the fact he would be 4th choice make this seem very unlikely to me. With the age of Fofana and Soyuncu and the length of their contracts we aren’t rushed to find a replacement for Evans and Amartey is more than capable to be 4th choice. The money can be better spent elsewhere. This story screams agent talk to try and keep Tarkowski relevant. 

Jonny replacement planning I guess? But imagine it is just a lazy rehash (or a rehash). 

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Leicester aim for third time lucky in James Tarkowski transfer chase

Exclusive: Leicester are increasingly hopeful of finally landing long-term target Tarkowski this summer

Leicester are plotting to finally land James Tarkowski this summer.

The Foxes have been on the trail of Burnley stopper Tarkowski the last two close seasons as the Clarets have fought to keep him.

But Tarkowski,28, will only have 12 months left on his contract at Turf Moor this summer after declining a new deal.

Leicester, who are third in the Premier League, are now planning a fresh move and hope potential European football will seal it.

They could face competition from West Ham who had an offer in excess of £30million rejected in the last window.

But Leicester are likely to offer more lucrative personal terms and may even be in the Champions League next term.

In the meantime, Tarkowski is knuckling down at Burnley who have won four of their last eight League games including winning 1-0 at champions Liverpool last week.

Sean Dyche's side, who host Aston Villa on Wednesday, are also into the FA Cup fifth round after beating Fulham.

But Tarkowski, signed from Brentford in 2016, still sees his long-term future elsewhere as he bids to boost his England ambitions after two caps.

Leicester want him to add to their central defensive options which include Jonny Evans,33, Wesley Fofana,20, and Caglar Soyuncu, aged 24.

Evans recently penned a new deal until the end of the 2022-2023 season when he will be 35.

Tarkowski would add experience too and give Rodgers better options for a three-man defence where he has played Christian Fuchs,31, whose contact is up this summer.

Burnley are looking at promising young centre-backs to replace Tarkowski including Stoke's Nathan Collins,19, and Nottingham Forest's Joe Worrall, aged 24.

Worrall lol

Surprised at the no / nah comments.

remember the end of last season and we had evans and soy out.. could argue it cost us CL. 

the club learnt and want 4 decent ready to come in CB’s. 
tarks and fofana along with soy and evans to begin next season is a big improvement on soy evans Fuchs and Morgan this season.

Morgan and Fuchs leave, question marks about benko and I’m not convinced amartey is good enough to potentially play 6-8 games if we suffered injuries. Think people like him for sentimental reasons.

having Tarkowski come in gives a lot of comfort knowing even with a couple of injuries we’re sound at the base of the team.. so I’m all for this if it happens. Give him Morgan’s No5 shirt

• Like 2

I don't get this.

Rodgers clearly does like playing 3 at the back, but we mainly played that way this season because of Wilf's absence. As soon as Wilf came back, he's been sat in front of a 4 destroying everything and we've all forgotten who Mendy is again.

Even if we are playing 3 at the back, we've still got Castagne, Ricardo, Justin, Thomas and arguably Albrighton to play those full back roles. And then Amartey is also cover at CB. Assuming Wes and Fuchs are both done, you've still got 9 defenders.

You'd imagine if we're being linked again that there is some pretty strong interest, but I struggle to see this happening. I don't think it makes an awful lot of sense for either party.

I think the 3/5 at the back we played for a while was only due to the personnel we had available and to help protect us better in certain areas. It served its purpose because it bolstered weaker areas eg Fuchs, Justin (weak at the time, not now) and not having Wilf in midfield. Gave us some extra bodies in those positions, don’t think It’s Brendan’s first choice formation though. I’d be surprised if we started using it regularly again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just feels destined to happen IMO. And we’ll probably get him for a good price in the summer too. I’m all for it. 

Personally I just can't see it realistically. Like every season, there will be a limited amount of money to spend, particularly in the current climate of financial losses. A striker has to be an absolute priority but we also have the potential of having to spend 20+ on Under or a similar positioned player because Albrighton will also need a replacement/cover and Gray will have gone. People are also talking about a player to cover Maddison and Iheanacho albeit Praet should be back. 

We have Fofana, Evans and Soyuncu with possibly Armarty and JJ as back up. Looking at the investment we have usually made regularly over the last few years combined with the well publicised club ethos, if we were to spend 20m on Under and 20 to 30m on a striker, without selling one of our more prized assets for a change, I don't see us spending much on yet another centre half, certainly not what Tarkowski would cost. Plus, do we really think that a player who openly talks about being ambitious and wanting to get back into the England set up will want to come here and sit on the bench if lucky to be 4th choice? In fact there wouldn't be many decent takers for that position, even Armarty may want more regular football. If we're not careful we're collecting players for players sake and sometimes a squad player is just that for a reason. There's a limited number of squad places available anyway and Rodgers understandably likes the odd multi purpose/utility player like JJ, Ndidi and Praet. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

I would love to have Tarkowski as our 4th choice CB, but really?? I can't see him coming here when he would clearly be behind Evans, Soyuncu and Fofana!

We could chuck him some cup games but surely he wants to be playing every week in the Premier League whilst he's still in his prime. Would love it but be shocked if this happens! 

I could only see this happening next summer when he's a free transfer and when Evans is 34 years old. I can't imagine Tarkowski would want to come here in his prime this summer and warm the bench for a year, even if we did sell Benkovic and Amartey, he'd be 4th choice, but maybe he's happy to sit around and wait for a bit?

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I could only see this happening next summer when he's a free transfer and when Evans is 34 years old. I can't imagine Tarkowski would want to come here in his prime this summer and warm the bench for a year, even if we did sell Benkovic and Amartey, he'd be 4th choice, but maybe he's happy to sit around and wait for a bit?

That's the thing though, you look at it and say "well Evans is an important player for us and Tarks will be 4th choice" but Tarks, being a top professional with the self confidence that comes along with that could very well be looking at it as " I'm good enough to ho their and earn my place in that starting 11".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Depth.

Exactly, one word, simple and all that's needed to convince me of signing Tarkowski.

I've noticed the "squad player" sentiment, which is amusing as if it's some kind of slur. 

Welcome to Leicester City 2021 we are a squad, not a team anymore. 

If we sign Tarkowski, that for me, shows our ambition of having a squad depth with his capabilities. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Surprised at the no / nah comments.

It's not that I wouldn't take him, it's just I don't see how this makes sense for him for this to even be a mover. In all honesty, is he going to displace Evans, Soyuncu or Fofana? No, but he wants a move to kick-start an England career... will he get that off of Carabao cup games? No.

If he wants to come knowing he will have to fight for his place, then I've no objection. But right now he would be 4th choice and presumably on high wages.