Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

James Tarkowski (Summer Transfer)

Not 100% on how the homegrown rules work in premier league squads, is it you have to have 8? Not sure whether we're in any danger or have to think about it too much but potentially losing Gray, Morgan, Choudhury, Iheanacho (maybe), Ward (Maybe) may mean we have to ensure we pick up the odd homegrown player as well as more exciting attacking players from abroad. 

He won't come in to be 4th choice, and there is no point us spending money on a 4th choice centre back. Amartey does that job just fine, and still a slight hope that Benkovic reaches some potential while at Leuven.

Until King Power are bringing money back in, we won't spend money unless absolutely necessary or we sell someone for big money.

Going to be a bit of a queue for the CB position if we go for him. But Wes Morgan is indeed retiring after this season, so we will be one less defender on the books.

I mention Daniel Amartey but after last week's show I don't really consider him to be much competition for the likes of Caglar Soyuncu, Wesley Fofana and Jonny Evans. And I sincerely doubt that James Tarkowski would be overly happy with warming the bench. So this just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

West Brom played similar football when Evans was there.

Good point although Evans has always been decent on the ball, think about his days at Manchester United.

I know Tarkowski was at Brentford but I don't know how they played then.

I don't think Tarkowski is a bad defender but I'm put off by Burnley's style and how they build around their defence.

There are a lot of moving parts with this. With Morgan and possibly Fuchs leaving, and uncertainty about the fitness and form of Amartey and Benkovic, we're likely to need players in that area, whether it's an experienced performer like Tarkowski or a young player coming through like Knight. But losing a lot of experience in the form Morgan and Fuchs will have an effect.

Of course, we'd already have Evans, Fofana and Soyuncu ahead of Tarkowski. Justin can also play there but his form at full-back and wing-back on either side of the pitch means he's probably preferred in one of those positions. Or even if there is a suspension or injury to Ricardo or Castagne, it means we can still play with 3 CBs if that's the formation we need to play against a specific opponent, have Justin wide, AND still have cover on the bench.

No doubt Tarkowski would come in as 4th choice, but he may well back himself to force his way into the side, too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

There are a lot of moving parts with this. With Morgan and possibly Fuchs leaving, and uncertainty about the fitness and form of Amartey and Benkovic, we're likely to need players in that area, whether it's an experienced performer like Tarkowski or a young player coming through like Knight. But losing a lot of experience in the form Morgan and Fuchs will have an effect.

Of course, we'd already have Evans, Fofana and Soyuncu ahead of Tarkowski. Justin can also play there but his form at full-back and wing-back on either side of the pitch means he's probably preferred in one of those positions. Or even if there is a suspension or injury to Ricardo or Castagne, it means we can still play with 3 CBs if that's the formation we need to play against a specific opponent, have Justin wide, AND still have cover on the bench.

No doubt Tarkowski would come in as 4th choice, but he may well back himself to force his way into the side, too.

That’s pure and utter ... sense. Get out. Lol. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, casablancas said:

That’s pure and utter ... sense. Get out. Lol. 

My brain read that and read the ... as the word non and I was outraged!!  lol

So you caught one sucker!!

Edited by Dahnsouff

3 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Could be worth 60 to 80m in a few years time, what do you guys think of him?

We've our own very highly thought of CB in the academy named Ben Nelson. Only 16 and already training regularly with the first team and playing for the U23's.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Personally I just can't see it realistically. Like every season, there will be a limited amount of money to spend, particularly in the current climate of financial losses. A striker has to be an absolute priority but we also have the potential of having to spend 20+ on Under or a similar positioned player because Albrighton will also need a replacement/cover and Gray will have gone. People are also talking about a player to cover Maddison and Iheanacho albeit Praet should be back. 

We have Fofana, Evans and Soyuncu with possibly Armarty and JJ as back up. Looking at the investment we have usually made regularly over the last few years combined with the well publicised club ethos, if we were to spend 20m on Under and 20 to 30m on a striker, without selling one of our more prized assets for a change, I don't see us spending much on yet another centre half, certainly not what Tarkowski would cost. Plus, do we really think that a player who openly talks about being ambitious and wanting to get back into the England set up will want to come here and sit on the bench if lucky to be 4th choice? In fact there wouldn't be many decent takers for that position, even Armarty may want more regular football. If we're not careful we're collecting players for players sake and sometimes a squad player is just that for a reason. There's a limited number of squad places available anyway and Rodgers understandably likes the odd multi purpose/utility player like JJ, Ndidi and Praet. 

I appreciate all those points but I have to agree with Babs:

8 hours ago, Babylon said:

Ha ha why are people so against having a strong squad. Do you actually want us to ever become a top club or not?

If the manager wants another decent defender, go and get a decent defender. It’s up to him to manage them and keep them happy, he’s good at it.

Yes we’ve got other more pressing places in the squad to improve on, but strengthening the defensive options is also very important, especially with the attention the likes of Fofana and Soyuncu have attracted. Burnley were demanding £30-40m in the summer because, with 2 years left on his contract, that’s what he was worth to them and it was just enough to put people off. Next summer he’d be available much cheaper, and I’m sure we’ll snap him up if it’s around or below the £20m mark. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We've our own very highly thought of CB in the academy named Ben Nelson. Only 16 and already training regularly with the first team and playing for the U23's.

Wasn't this lad on the bench for a game this season? Might have been the League cup game off the top of my head.

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can we give ric his own sub forum for recommending duffers lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree we need another defender.

But dont we need to spend a fair bit on a striker. Dont we need to tie down Soyuncu with a new contract along with Ricky P? Both of them only have 2 years left on their contracts and it needs thinking about for selling on. Unless one or both already have gentleman's agreements as to when they want to move on I.e for Soyuncu leaving and Tarkowski incoming may be the reason for him being mentioned.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

4 hours ago, mazarron fox said:

Spot on, the only downside of our continued success is the sense of entitlement some of our possibly younger fan base show. Very embarrassing and cringeworthy 

...it is all relative!!!

If you do not have the experience of  the trials and tribulations in relation to the history of this club, then you would view us in a certain way.

This maybe an exaggeration but the Hallocaust happened, their are people who believe it did not happen and is made up, if you have had first hand or second hand experience of what transpired, you would realise what a heinous stance to take in its denial.

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Occasional games for Leicester which are important and in Europe and get a massive pay rise or play every shit game for Burnley which he has done for the last few years.

I know what I'd choose.  

Very true but it he wants to play regularly in order to get back into the England set up, he isn't going to get that here. He's a decent player that won't be short of offers, some of those offers will include both a pay rise and game time.

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it is all relative!!!

If you do not have the experience of  the trials and tribulations in relation to the history of this club, then you would view us in a certain way.

This maybe an exaggeration but the Hallocaust happened, their are people who believe it did not happen and is made up, if you have had first hand or second hand experience of what transpired, you would realise what a heinous stance to take in its denial.

We are talking about a football club and sport not the annihilation of Jews and others 80 years ago. How can you compare the 2 you’ve had a shocker there I’m afraid very insensitive comments!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

We are talking about a football club and sport not the annihilation of Jews and others 80 years ago. How can you compare the 2 you’ve had a shocker there I’m afraid very insensitive comments!

...I  am dealing with  a thought process!!!

I caveat that my example may seem to be an exaggerated example but the mindset of not being affected by an event or events holds true.

No it was not an insensitive comment, you chose to view it in that  manner.