Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

Fulham (A) 3/2/21 6pm Pre-Match thread

Think we’ll stick to a back 4 especially now little Wes is injured.

Best way of attacking a back three is wide so hopefully Ricardo & JJ at FB and Barnes/Under on the wings can get at them.

They can drag CBs all over the place so Maddison and Nacho (my preference) have space to exploit 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

We had the choice in the summer of either giving Mendy a new contract, or having to sign someone else (like William Carvalho who was linked)

But then we have to spend around £20m on a decent back up to Wilf, and we most likely end up not being able to afford Fofana

It was the right decision to make when you consider how much more we needed a new centre back and full back

Fair point, Choudhury who is the only player we have in that mould has been out of the picture of late for whatever reason, I don’t think he’s done too badly in the minutes he has played, despite most of them coming against lower opposition.

Part of me thinks he deserves another shot since he’s not found a new club this window.

• Like 1

Madison can play... but no more corners.. youri can take them

Of course mendy can play... he is not eilf.. but hes not bad

Soyuncu in for lil'wes

Play under at no 9 to push their CBs back... perez and nacho come way too deep

Edited by foxinsocks

12 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Think we’ll stick to a back 4 especially now little Wes is injured.

Best way of attacking a back three is wide so hopefully Ricardo & JJ at FB and Barnes/Under on the wings can get at them.

They can drag CBs all over the place so Maddison and Nacho (my preference) have space to exploit 

I hope so, the last time against these we played 5 at the back and looked awful, two down at half time, appart from the fact we look no better defensively, in fact I'd go as far as saying we probably conceed more goals with five at the back, it also stifles us attacking wise, last time we didn't start Barnes.

We need Barnes attacking threat and if we don't start Under against Fulham then when ever will we.

9 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Madison can play... but no more corners.. youri can take them

Of course mendy can play... he is not eilf.. but hes not bad

Soyuncu in for lil'wes

Play under at no 9 to push their CBs back... perez and nacho come way too deep

Even if the delivery is good we can't attack them, someone said we had scored 1 corner from the last 250, from memory that was an own goal.

I'd sooner we play every corner short, at least we keep the ball.

We play the ball out from the keeper rather than kick it up field and turn it into a 50/50 ball but we're quite happy to put the ball in the box from a corner where it gets headed away and if it falls to an opponent we get hit on the break.

Exactly how Leeds got the third, free kick played into the box headed away and we concede seconds later.

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Leicester fans asking for a tall strong centre midfielder? I feel like I’ve gone back in time to 2010 when fans wanted us to sign Liam Trotter for some ‘power’ in midfield lol

Fvck off blaming Mendy for Sunday, our entire team was shite and he’s been really good for us this year. Great option to have in the squad. 

It felt like every team in the division had a wardrobe in central midfield around that time, I remember fans being desperate to sign Trotter, Pratley, Moussi and countless others. 

Maynard, Pratley, and Trotter  were supposedly our ticket out the division. Halcyon days. 

I thought we looked a tired team against Leeds, and interestingly Everton did too against Newcastle. I wonder whether the combination of lack of preseason training with the amount of games being played is hurting us, and is the root cause of the amount of injuries we are seeing.

Edited by Bablemikey
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

I thought we looked a tired team against Leeds, and interestingly Everton did too against Newcastle. I wonder whether the combination of lack of preseason training with the amount of games being played is hurting us, and is the root cause of the amount of injuries we are seeing.

Several of the sides gunning for top 4 have fallen off a little... we certainly aren’t the only ones 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Leicester fans asking for a tall strong centre midfielder? I feel like I’ve gone back in time to 2010 when fans wanted us to sign Liam Trotter for some ‘power’ in midfield lol

Fvck off blaming Mendy for Sunday, our entire team was shite and he’s been really good for us this year. Great option to have in the squad. 

We aren’t half missing our tall, strong defensive midfielder who’s currently injured, no one is saying swap tielemans with Dickson Etuhu.

• Haha 1

I think there's an obvious middle ground opinion that Mendy is a good solid player, but a midfield 3 of Mendy, Youri and Maddison can appear very lightweight. Against some opponents that isn't an issue. Wolves after this match for example is the kind of match I'd like Mendy in (if Wilf isn't fit). But Anguissa, Loftus Cheek and maybe Lemina playing for Fulham could simply out-muscle us. Perfect time to play Hamza, he is the only option with physicality.

• Like 1

Tomorrow I would go: 

Kasper 

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Justin 

Choudhury

Tielemans

Barnes

Maddison

Under

Iheanacho

The back 5 picks itself. 

We miss a tackler in midfield, and I think Choudhury offers a bit more than Mendy in that department. Mendy is good at recycling the ball indeed, but the passes he makes should be standard for any central midfielder. 

Albrighton will probably play but I would like to see Under start here. Realistically we should be beating these and I think Under can make a difference going forward. 

Iheanacho has to start up front. It’s clear from the last two games it’s not working there for Perez. We need someone that can occupy the centre halves. Kel holds the ball up well and I think he’s bring the 3 behind him much more into play than Perez does whilst giving the centre halves something to think about. 

• Like 4

Kasper

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Evans

Justin

Youri

Mendy

Under

Maddison

Barnes

Anyone but Perez

Not sure we have much other choice in terms of the other 10 positions? I think it'll be a high scoring game - I think Fulham will fancy this one after how good they were at the KP.

Good thing is we surely cant be as bad as we were on Sunday.

1 hour ago, OadbyBlue said:

We aren’t half missing our tall, strong defensive midfielder who’s currently injured, no one is saying swap tielemans with Dickson Etuhu.

Quite obvious that wilf missing is a loss but to then pin all the blame on his replacement is odd. Some of the comments in here are horrendous 

When was the last time we won a league game without Ndidi and Vardy? 

Perez has had his chance at centre forward, time for Iheanacho now until Vardy is back. Perez has the remarkable knack of either dropping so deep we have no focal point or being offside any time we get a telling ball in to the box. He must have had 3 goals chalked off this season already for offsides and he's barely played.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

To be fair to Mendy, he hardly put a foot wrong at the start of this season.

I guess it’s just when you compare him to Wilf.... but you can say that about most Premiership midfielders at the moment. 
Ndidi does appear crucial to this team 

They aren't like for like players either so people should stop expecting Mendy to come in and do the exact same role as Wilf

Wilf is a destroyer, Mendy is a progressive player who gets us up the pitch when compared to Wilf - 2 different kind of DMs

Also just going to put this out there, statistically Mendy is better at tackling dribblers compared to Wilf, and more players dribble past Wilf than Mendy

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When was the last time we won a league game without Ndidi and Vardy? 

Perez has had his chance at centre forward, time for Iheanacho now until Vardy is back. Perez has the remarkable knack of either dropping so deep we have no focal point or being offside any time we get a telling ball in to the box. He must have had 3 goals chalked off this season already for offsides and he's barely played.

We beat West Ham on 28th December 2019 where Ndidi only played 20 mins at the end? Nacho and Gray scored both goals before he came on.

• Like 1