Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

Fulham (A) 3/2/21 6pm Pre-Match thread

Under would get absolutely dominated playing up front. There's more nuance to playing up front than having a bit of pace.

However much they aren't suited to a lone striker role, Perez and Nacho are sadly the best options we have with Vardy out.

It's why I'd be tempted to go back to 5 at the back. Covers our 2 biggest problems with Vardy and Ndidi out (Mendy not so exposed, gets another body up front to play off).

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

It's more the fact that Under's qualities mean he is much better on the wing and far more accommodating for how Rodgers likes his wide forwards to be (look at Barnes on the right). 

The inverted-winger position. Pacy, skilful and likes to cut in on their stronger foot.

Under just isn't a centre-forward as a 9 or a 10. As the post above says, not sure Under can hold the ball like we'd want him to, I don't think he'll take up the right positions centrally. 

I can't envisage him making the 'intelligent' runs centrally as opposed to how he would on the wing. He'd be up against big centre-backs and we've not really seen much of Under in the air and with no disrespect to him, I doubt he's great in the air given his small stature and height.

That's fair, I think I'd tend to agree on those points. Whoever is playing up front needs to be playing higher up the pitch so Maddison can do his work in between midfield and attack. If your striker is coming deep constantly then your number 10 becomes useless. 

I think from the past few games, Kel probably deserves a crack, with Barnes and Under on the wings. I still think Kelechi is a quality finisher and could prove useful for us.

• Like 2

Just now, martyn said:

Under would get absolutely dominated playing up front. 

However much they aren't suited to a lone striker role, Perez and Nacho are sadly the best options we have with Vardy out.

It's why I'd be tempted to go back to 5 at the back. Covers our 2 biggest problems with Vardy and Ndidi out (Mendy not so exposed, gets another body up front to play off).

Not sure I follow that logic, remove an attacking player to play in defence to get another body forwards?

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Not sure I follow that logic, remove an attacking player to play in defence to get another body forwards?

What's not to get? Playing 5 ATB means you can play 2 up top or 1 slightly withdrawn and use your wingbacks to provide the width. Nacho and Perez both play better in a 2 as for all their faults they can do the intricate link up quite well if bodies are around them.

Mendy gets badly exposed as a screener in a 4 against a team with legs in midfield. So going temporarily back to a 5 also helps shore up that weakness.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Nacho is a classic case of a player's reputation improving when he's not in the team. Once he's back in, he'll amble around doing **** all as usual and it'll be starkly apparent why he's even behind Perez in the pecking order.

Oh, and no back 3! Did people not watch the second half today? The back 3, all excellent players, not knowing when to step up and when not to, when to hold the line and when not too etc etc. 3 at the back clearly needs a hell of a lot more work before we start a PL game with it.

Wish I could like half a post :sweating:

Agree completely with the first half, but considering how well we did with a back 5 without our better players earlier in the season, why couldn’t we start with it? I’d be surprised that the back 5 would be just cast aside so easily when it can be a suitable back up strategy.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

If Brighton hold on against Spurs, Fulham will be 7 points behind them with a game in hand. They'll be desperate to close that gap so shouldn't need much in the way of motivation. Tough game 

I think they'd have just as much, if not more if spurs win and the gaps only 4 points. 

How on earth has Conolly messed that up 🤦‍♂️

14 minutes ago, filbertway said:

That's fair, I think I'd tend to agree on those points. Whoever is playing up front needs to be playing higher up the pitch so Maddison can do his work in between midfield and attack. If your striker is coming deep constantly then your number 10 becomes useless. 

I think from the past few games, Kel probably deserves a crack, with Barnes and Under on the wings. I still think Kelechi is a quality finisher and could prove useful for us.

Agree with that. Kelechi has more of the striker instinct than Perez does, at least when it comes to playing on the line of defence. He does have a tendency to drift and go looking for the ball though and at times comes deep to collect. Trouble with Kelechi is that you never know what striker you'll get - the one who's confident or the utterly dreadful one. 

I'd like to see us try the frontline of Barnes/Kelechi/Under. 

11 minutes ago, martyn said:

Under would get absolutely dominated playing up front. There's more nuance to playing up front than having a bit of pace.

To be honest in questioning if Under will be at all useful to us. He might have a trick or two, but I just don’t think his attitude is there, hence why his career has faltered so far. I think our hopes of him becoming anything other than a wage taker are unfortunately misplaced. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think he will do anything more than he has for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

To be honest in questioning if Under will be at all useful to us. He might have a trick or two, but I just don’t think his attitude is there, hence why his career has faltered so far. I think our hopes of him becoming anything other than a wage taker are unfortunately misplaced. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think he will do anything more than he has for us.

I'm hoping with how Rodgers has done well in getting youngsters to play well works with Under. Still only 23 so hopefully not reached his peak.

I think there is a good player in there, and one that can do well for us.

I'm sure some weren't bought on Youri when he signed on loan - I seem to remember some comments about him not being good enough or consistent enough to make it here, and thought his loan would not develop in to something more. And he was much younger!

For the benefit of Under, and more-so us, I hope he can improve and get a decent run in the side.

• Like 1

Kasper

Wes   Evans   Soyuncu 

Riccy                             JJ

Mendy

Youri

Madders          Barnes

Iheanacho 

• Like 1

Can't say i am a kelechi super fan but at this point he is the only striker (has a striker instinct like Stan mentioned) we have and given perez can't be the guy for us might as well give him a shot.

The worst case we already know but best case is he that he gains some confidence and at least gets a few shots at the net. If one somehow goes in great!

Edited by Jattdogg

30 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Why can’t we play 3-5-2 with Perez and Nacho playing together, it certainly doesn’t work what we did today and it didn’t work against Everton either. 

So, play 2 complete duffers in the team instead of one?

I can see the headlines now, 'Leicester's Dual Duffers Deliver Double Damage in another Disastrous Defeat'

I think I prefer the Barnes, Iheanacho, Under option personally. In fact I'd be open to most line ups distinctly devoid of Perez. 

When we win..Foxestalk-forum, The Next Opponent is shit & a walk-over...

When we lose...Next game...tough opposition..

Blah-blah di blah....

We have upped our quality in the last couple of seasons....but unfortunately our Lack of depth, still leaves us hanging occasionally...

Not Rodgers fault,  also if there was another manager....

We can only Play who we have, and in these Covid-lockdown-seasons, recruitment will be difficult..!!

Our injuries have hit us again, but we seem to be a bit stronger,but These Knock & niggles After recovering from a Chronic injury listing,

are again preventing us trying to find then Keep some rythme & consistentcy...> Though Let be fair it is at the high echolons of the league <

Rodgers is seeing his key players, not suprisingly having difficulty in keeping up any long-term consistent form...

L'pool, & Man.City have also struggled ( on their normal high Quality level), Manutd  also Skipping near ,then sometimes  around their old traditional best.Bit

We cant Match them, their Ressources are on another plain..Bit

So far we are doing well, Today was frustrating, because we still had the chances, we are still not decisive & clinical around the box.

Our Defence has improved, but hasnt found yet that Complete togetherness & balance....

Its still, like always one step at a time....

Its some fans that Need to take a Step back, we are not quite there yet, Maddison, Tielemans  tried & endeavoued,but the moves didn t come off today,

though the creation was there... Even if Vardy & N'didi do comeback, we are still Falling short. To Take us further we stneed need to Chase down a few more

high Quality playecomfortably comfortabley into this club...

In an odd way I am looking forward to this but please, for Fuchs sake, take Maddison off set pieces! I really do believe he will benefit from having the responsibility taken from him... let’s give YT a go over the next couple of games 

54 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Got to give Under a go. 

Under, Nacho and Barnes across the front gives us out best chance among the current crop.  I might even give Perez a run at #10, since both Maddison and Tielemans look knackered.

I would think Ricardo and Cags have to be in for this one, even with BR calling the shots.  The question is who they replace.

• Like 1