Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Villa 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Just now, RumbleFox said:

These are the games we lost last season. We’re so much more resilient. Great result. I honestly believe that our strongest 11, fully fit would give anyone a run for their money. X 

It's not like there'd be much difference between the starting 11 today and our best? Maybe JJ for Thomas and Fofana for Cags? But since JJ's out for so long, what we saw today is almost the best we can do, anyway...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrishlcfc said:

Winning ugly? It wasn’t exactly a Burnley sit 10 men behind the ball 1-0 was it.

Thought we were excellent 1st half and deservedly went in 2-0 in front.

2nd half we looked jaded and conceded a poor goal which put a bit of pressure on us. Sat back more but we did the job pretty comfortably.

Completely agree with this

Second half we tired, which is not at all surprising given the fixture list

Excellent win today 

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes, they didn't have Grealish, but they were still getting forward and we were camped in our own half - we could have brought on Under/Iheanacho, but you wouldn't want to concede 3 points because a player of theirs finds some space on the edge of the box where a DM might have been occupying.

The game management has improved and that's down to the managers and players. It's got us 3 points today and will see us get more in future so that we can prevent what happened last season happening again.

Don’t want to belabor the point because I am ECSTATIC with the 3 points...

But “we were camped in own half” because with 3DMs there was no outlet.

All’s well ends well, and It’s all hypothesis at this point.

But thought Albrighton could defend as well as Mendy (and arguably Hamza), and still provide an outlet and support Vardy.

COYB! :scarf:

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Some people need to find a negatives, we are playing a game every 4 days, had to travel and play on a heavy pitch in Prague.

Justin, Perez, Fofana unavailable, Castagne only just back from injury and both Riccardo and Amartey working their way back to full match fitness after long term injuries.

Can't play Champagne football all the time. 

We finished 5th last year because we couldn't win dirty.

I've run out of reps but would give you two for this if I could! Absolutely bang on

Can definitely see us starting with that front 4 more regularly from now on. Had so much balance in that first half, and it shows just how dangerous we can be as an attacking unit when we have a threat on the right as well as the left. 

Luke Thomas was great and looks to be the perfect foil for Barnes, much more of a natural pairing than Barnes + Chilwell ever were. 

Nice to increase the cushion on 5th, but I’d feel even better if WHU started dropping some points. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Some people need to find a negatives, we are playing a game every 4 days, had to travel and play on a heavy pitch in Prague.

Justin, Perez, Fofana unavailable, Castagne only just back from injury and both Riccardo and Amartey working their way back to full match fitness after long term injuries.

Can't play Champagne football all the time. 

We finished 5th last year because we couldn't win dirty.

Yes, shocking that people could be happy with results without being bowled over by performance and even have the effrontery to DISCUSS it on a DISCUSSION forum.

4 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Don’t want to belabor the point because I am ECSTATIC with the 3 points...

But “we were camped in own half” because with 3DMs there was no outlet.

All’s well ends well, and It’s all hypothesis at this point.

But thought Albrighton could defend as well as Mendy (and arguably Hamza), and still provide an outlet and support Vardy.

COYB! :scarf:

Maybe he needs the rest, Naija...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Not saying we have to go out and score another 2/3 goals but going back into our shell againts a pants villa team:frusty:.

Is it really so taxing just to keep the ball and not give the opposition a sniff?

Oh I agree with you, I was fuming when we did it at Fulham but today it occurred once Maddison was done for and we had nobody on the bench to come on and give us that dynamism. We so badly need another attacking midfielder, is there anything out there? Alex Teixeira? 

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I know he's just looked really disinterested or distracted for the last few weeks and he's just not chasing or got any bite to him at the minute. Hopefully something clicks soon, we need a fit and firing Vardy for the run in. 

I agree he's not looked sharp, wouldn't quibble with you on that one, just think there's no way it's desire-related. In my mind it's a fitness thing. That said, he played a part in both goals today but did look lethargic at times. I'm not worried though.

• Like 1

That was very similar to the Fulham game for me. Controlled and bossed the first half with a decent lead. Came out second half and made it turgid. The last 15 you could see we were very tired but that’s expected. 

Villa couldn’t handle us in the first 25/30 minutes. Barnes always looked a threat and Thomas put in his best performance for us yet. 

Is there a more over rated defender in the league than Tyrone Mings? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Not saying we have to go out and score another 2/3 goals but going back into our shell againts a pants villa team:frusty:.

Is it really so taxing just to keep the ball and not give the opposition a sniff?

Exactly,  2nd half we just kept giving the ball away and then defending at the edge of our area. Terrible tactics, which against a better team would have definitely cost us.