Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

6 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

Elek: "By this stage I think we always we've seen something that is very exciting, very special."

lollol

First four games of the season: 2022-23

Burnley
Huddersfield - Burnley 0-1
Burnley - Luton 1-1
Watford - Burnley 1-0

Burnley - Hull 1-1

Luton
Luton - Birmingham 0-0
Luton - Newport 2-3 (Carabao Cup)
Burnley - Luton 1-1
Luton - Preston 0-1

Sheff U
Watford - Sheffield U 1-0
WBA - Sheffield U 1-0 (Carabao Cup)
Sheffield U - Millwall 3-0
Middlesbrough - Sheff U 2-2

So his point about "low margin" games....The only team that had managed to score more than one goal in a league game at this stage last season was Sheff U. 

Thanks for sharing these results, I had no idea that's how the teams started out. Goes to show we can't bring too much into results for quite a while.

Personally I thought our first 10 games would be rough, with losses and draws, 10-20 might be better, and we'd only see what the team is really made of after 20 games. Our ideal starting XI would have 7 changes in it compared to last season, plus a new manager and new style of play. That doesn't just click overnight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Burnley were exceptional in their first game against Huddersfield last season.

Granted they came away with the same 1-0 win as we did but they absolutely annihilated them and should have won by a big margin.

Absolutely right. I remember watching the game and couldn't believe what Kompany had done to Burnely in such a short space of time and I was certain they'd walk that league after what I saw that game, despite the results not going their way initially. Obviously there's completely different circumstances at each club and it might take us longer to get used to a different style but you can't really argue with what Elek was saying. I'll obviously take the wins but I tend to disagree that the points are more important than the performances at this stage of the season. I would definitely like to see progress made by the team from game to game but I actually thought the performance and structure of the team looked worse against Huddersfield than it did against Cov.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Mhm he lost me at that point. 

I mean ultimately its way too early in the season to assess any team and he no doubt knows that but he's paid to give an opinion so he's got to say something. 

He's not wrong that we don't look like the finished article but that's a statement of the obvious. Whole thing is a nothing piece. 

Brian Clough was wrong at the time he grilled Motson but he'd definitely be right now. Now there definitely IS too much football content around. 

To be honest, it's an absurd discussion about any team two games into the season....

• Like 3

I really do think some people need to get some perspective/context with anything "pundits" say about us this season.

One of the reasons why there are so many and there is so much content of the bigger teams (aside from populism) is ease of access to games. The "top pundits" not only attend these games if they're in the right job, but broadcast is so, so much easier to access than the EFL. 10/20 teams are broadcast pretty much every round (many the same teams) and even finding streams/games to download is much easier in the Prem. Means they can actually watch performances in full.

Even with us as an example and George Elek. He won't have watched the Huddersfield game in full and he won't be able to watch every minute of Cardiff, Rotherham, Tranmere or Hull games, either, unless he attends these in person. His judgements are on what he reads from others and the extended highlights he can access.

Add to that as an EFL "expert" you'd also expect him to have intimate knowledge of all 72 clubs. Again, absolutely impossible based on the access he can get on the pitch.

Basically it's a long way of saying that there's no way any national expert/pundit can give a fully considered judgement on us unless they physically attend every game we play, because access to full matches is so restricted in this country at this level.

4 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I really do think some people need to get some perspective/context with anything "pundits" say about us this season.

One of the reasons why there are so many and there is so much content of the bigger teams (aside from populism) is ease of access to games. The "top pundits" not only attend these games if they're in the right job, but broadcast is so, so much easier to access than the EFL. 10/20 teams are broadcast pretty much every round (many the same teams) and even finding streams/games to download is much easier in the Prem. Means they can actually watch performances in full.

Even with us as an example and George Elek. He won't have watched the Huddersfield game in full and he won't be able to watch every minute of Cardiff, Rotherham, Tranmere or Hull games, either, unless he attends these in person. His judgements are on what he reads from others and the extended highlights he can access.

Add to that as an EFL "expert" you'd also expect him to have intimate knowledge of all 72 clubs. Again, absolutely impossible based on the access he can get on the pitch.

Basically it's a long way of saying that there's no way any national expert/pundit can give a fully considered judgement on us unless they physically attend every game we play, because access to full matches is so restricted in this country at this level.

I get that, but they could at least get basic facts straight. 

I often like to have a sneaky look at other club forums especially before/after we play them and what they talking about regarding potential transfers of our players. Sometimes it's a pain to find their message boards so it would be useful to have a sticky with links.

I occasionally have a look on OTIB (Bristol City) ever since NFP and some of our old boys went down there and found such a thing....

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/186815-season-202324-championship-clubs-forums/

Can this be replicated on here :dunno:

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I often like to have a sneaky look at other club forums especially before/after we play them and what they talking about regarding potential transfers of our players. Sometimes it's a pain to find their message boards so it would be useful to have a sticky with links.

I occasionally have a look on OTIB (Bristol City) ever since NFP and some of our old boys went down there and found such a thing....

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/186815-season-202324-championship-clubs-forums/

@Mark
I like that…nice/great idea if we could replicate it direct on FT..

Carrying over each season…

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Another week, another pod of George Elek thinking we are rubbish

Love the pod but have to agree, they are far too keen to eventually go "I told you so" when we lose, as apposed to recognising we are showing great fitness and ruthlessness to win these matches.

I do agree with them that we aren't setting the world alight though! We've been blessed with easy fixtures

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 10:13, Spudulike said:

We do have a thread in the Other Football folder that lists the club forums, but it's not a sticky

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Love the pod but have to agree, they are far too keen to eventually go "I told you so" when we lose, as apposed to recognising we are showing great fitness and ruthlessness to win these matches.

I do agree with them that we aren't setting the world alight though! We've been blessed with easy fixtures

I didn’t mind until he tried to argue that ‘we aren’t implementing a clear new style’, as if we haven’t made probably the most drastic style and tactical change of anyone, just clearly doesn’t pay attention to our games.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Just listened to it. 

It's obvious that he's gutted. Gutted that a Prem team, which has come down and "isn't playing brilliantly" – and is, admittedly, still finding its groove – has still found a way to win all four games. It pisses on their entire raison d'etre and strapline, which is that the EFL Championship is the toughest league in the world and that you can't just grind out results. What we've done in our first four games doesn't fit in their "welcome to the Championship" narrative.

He desperately wants Leicester to start dropping points because having us, Leeds or Southampton walking the league after losing 10+ players would undermine everything their podcast stands for. 

Also, and most damningly, we haven't been brilliant, but if he says he can't see a clear style – or what Maresca's all about – he's in the wrong job commentating on football tactics. 

Personally don't see it as "agenda driven" so that. I think he's just very much a process and "look behind the result" kinda guy, and I agree with that a little...but not enough is said about the fact we are finding a way to win whilst still in 2nd gear, and then the question can be asked about when/if 3rd and 4th gear are shown

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

All of this is true but you're also missing one detail. 

We're now by far one of the biggest fan bases in the league, we're probably either top or at least top 3 for social media followers? 

It's fantastic rage bait to spend a chunk of every podcast being critical of us and Maresca. 

Very true, he’s had a rod on for going after us and Southampton all year which goes with this, just very lazy when both are very clearly transitioning big time

2 hours ago, Tanya said:

Another week, another pod of George Elek thinking we are rubbish

I’ve been listening to that every week now and he honestly sounds so disappointed every time we win, he probably isn’t and I’m just doing that usual football fan thing thinking everyone hates us. The other guy gives a few compliments but George definitely doesn’t think much of Maresca 

Edited by lcfcell

This rhetoric will only get more and more if we have any sort of blip. Just remember in all of this if we did (if if if if if) piss this league the same as Burnley did last year, that's two years in a row a relegated team has come down and passed their way to promotion, under rookie (relatively in Kompany's case) managers at the first attempt of getting back up. Is a bit of a narrative killer.

And amongst all of this something which I'll always bore people to tears with. These people have not sat and watched us for 90 mins every game. They watch the highlights, read a match report and make judgements. They can't give us the attention and focus that PL pundits can. At most Elek has watched the Cov and Burton games. At best.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

All of this is true but you're also missing one detail. 

We're now by far one of the biggest fan bases in the league, we're probably either top or at least top 3 for social media followers? 

It's fantastic rage bait to spend a chunk of every podcast being critical of us and Maresca. 

We’re the seventh biggest club in England in terms of social media following let alone the Championship

https://www.olbg.com/blogs/social-football-league

Always surprises me how many people under 30 see us as a big club 

• Like 4