Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

I would settle for no punishment, as long as there's a government review that ends with a 50+1 rule being imposed to stop them just trying again in a few years. 

I realise that's pie in the sky though. I'm sure now this has crumbled the Tories' will to actually do anything will evaporate too

Edited by what?
  • Like 3

Love how proper football fans from all areas were united by this bullsh!t.

Things still won't be great in terms of fairness with the new Champions League plan, but at least it looks like everything won't end up as a steaming pile of sh!te now.

• Like 1

Another great thing, is that if we were in a situation where clubs were genuinely going to leave, it would strengthen their hand vs all of the governing bodies.

In the end, Football crushed them. the FA, FIFA, UEFA did not waiver and they showed that these clubs can not bully Football.

For me personally the idea of punishment is appealing in a tribal kind of a way, but ultimately I think it's misjudged and unnecessary - UEFA were very clear in appealing to clubs to rethink the decision by telling them that it wasn't too late to change their minds, so then punishing those clubs somehow for coming back into the fold seems counter to that spirit. Also, while we would benefit from a points deduction, it would mostly affect the fans and the players, who have largely resisted this, by all reports. Doesn't really seem fair.

What I would like to see is a sustained focus on the ownership and financial structure of clubs, especially the so called big six. My worry is that, as the ESL dies, so will the calls for greater scrutiny of forces who brought this situation about. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mehrez said:

Might actually be able to get some work done tomorrow now

Was literally thinking the same.. I have been extremely unproductive the last 2 days just hunting for information and opinion on this super league 😂

39 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

If they do indeed pull out, it leaves me wondering what they THOUGHT was going to happen when they agreed to this..  

I think it's a case of hedging their bets by being a founding member, just in case it did happen. It's a gamble, 300 million in revenue v 20 million fine and a few points docked.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

For me personally the idea of punishment is appealing in a tribal kind of a way, but ultimately I think it's misjudged and unnecessary - UEFA were very clear in appealing to clubs to rethink the decision by telling them that it wasn't too late to change their minds, so then punishing those clubs somehow for coming back into the fold seems counter to that spirit. Also, while we would benefit from a points deduction, it would mostly affect the fans and the players, who have largely resisted this, by all reports. Doesn't really seem fair.

What I would like to see is a sustained focus on the ownership and financial structure of clubs, especially the so called big six. My worry is that, as the ESL dies, so will the calls for greater scrutiny of forces who brought this situation about. 

That's reasonable! But let's have a look at what UEFA have given them. Ed Woodward has resigned so that's good.

15 minutes ago, trabuch said:

They must be punished

It’s the owners that need to be punished. Authorities need to look at whatever they are doing in Germany that means supporters own 51% of their clubs (if that is true). How did they manage it? Whatever they did needs to be phased in here.

• Like 1