Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

13 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I would ban them all from European competition next season. I'd also give them a two year transfer embargo, and fine them at least £100m each, but that money will be fed down to the lower league clubs.

Possibly a points deduction too.

Wish I hadn’t ran out of rep points for this. Take them to the focking cleaners.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

For me personally the idea of punishment is appealing in a tribal kind of a way, but ultimately I think it's misjudged and unnecessary - UEFA were very clear in appealing to clubs to rethink the decision by telling them that it wasn't too late to change their minds, so then punishing those clubs somehow for coming back into the fold seems counter to that spirit. Also, while we would benefit from a points deduction, it would mostly affect the fans and the players, who have largely resisted this, by all reports. Doesn't really seem fair.

What I would like to see is a sustained focus on the ownership and financial structure of clubs, especially the so called big six. My worry is that, as the ESL dies, so will the calls for greater scrutiny of forces who brought this situation about. 

I think you might be missing the point though. These clubs still hold all the power. Unless they lose a lot of money, they will be free to try and do things like that again. Punishment is a necessary deterrant. It shows all football clubs and owners that it's not worth the risk.

Maybe they decided it was a stupid idea that couldn't succedd. But I think it's more likely they were testing the waters and now know how to change their plans, or approach, to make them more palettable or sellable.

Make no mistake, there's no way they will give up on milking football dry. And if any of the authorities really cared about football they would make this impossible with severe sanctions that drastically reduce the power of these clubs.

Also - why should points deductions and relegations only happen to smaller clubs like has been happening for years? Are these actions not worse than just having debt? These clubs had debt AND they tried to ruin football to get out of it. It's an unprecedented act and needs an unprecedented response.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

Those clubs which are pulling out are only pulling out for now. A variation of this will rear its ugly head in the near future. They've shown their intentions. 

I’m not so sure. This is surely a PR disaster that they won’t be keen to repeat. Hopefully this will strengthen the forces of proper meritocracy in sport.

Has to be some sort of punishment anyway, they took this way to far. Pulling out is obviously the right thing to do but for this to go unpunished is ridiculous. There at least needs to be a serious investigation into the Americans that own Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. If there's any justice they'll fvck off. 

They can also piss off with the champions league crap that means them teams get in every year regardless of where they finish. I don't see what is wrong with the current champions league. The greedy bastards don't make enough money though when they play the likes of IBFK and Copenhagen etc. And having teams like "little Leicester" in the champions league is just unacceptable 

• Like 4

They still need to be punished. The morals of these clubs are non existent. Let's not forget these are the clubs that furloughed all non playing staff and then quickly changed their minds when they got slaughtered for it. They cannot be allowed to keep doing these things.

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

Be careful what you wish for ......the American owners won’t spend money ....if they go and Middle Eastern/Asian owners replace them then these clubs will spend way bigger and therefore the end game could well be the same where we simply cannot compete (think another three Man City teams)

• Like 1